Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Maybe I've stretched the cable driving her like I have been? :nabble_anim_confused:

If I push the linkage back by hand the choke snaps shut like it should.

I'll see in the morning..

Today was a first. Got the trans up on the table and did a rebuild. Counter shaft and reverse shaft were in great shape so I left them alone. Replaced the synchros, needle bearings and shaft bearings, plus all the seals. Everything is moving freely and no extra parts so it should be good to go! IMG_20191020_151455.thumb.jpg.73be89e9e04caf51d7f17fef39ed55de.jpg

IMG_20191020_151502.jpg.a8abcfb4e42cf85db3d419cc57689e4b.jpg

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Today was a first. Got the trans up on the table and did a rebuild. Counter shaft and reverse shaft were in great shape so I left them alone. Replaced the synchros, needle bearings and shaft bearings, plus all the seals. Everything is moving freely and no extra parts so it should be good to go!

Congratulations! :nabble_anim_jump:

Looks like you kept the garage clean too.

Now to get rid of the stench of gear oil. :nabble_smiley_argh:

So you don't think you are getting full throttle and it is keeping the choke from setting?

I thought full throttle kicked the choke open with the unloader. What am I missing? :nabble_anim_confused:

Okay mister Edelbrock.... Can you explain to me how one adjusts the unloader, so I don't have to dig out my manual?

There is very little freeplay in my throttle cable now, and the choke still won't close.

Okay mister Edelbrock.... Can you explain to me how one adjusts the unloader, so I don't have to dig out my manual?

There is very little freeplay in my throttle cable now, and the choke still won't close.

fords4life - Well done! I've not rebuilt a tranny in decades, but never did it that cleanly. :nabble_smiley_good:

Jim - I can't get the Eddy manual to load. Like their site is down or they've moved it. Once I find it I'm going to download it and embed it rather than rely on another site.

Anyway, the unloader only opens the choke when you floor the throttle. That's so you can get the engine started if you've flooded it. But it shouldn't have anything to do with setting the choke.

Setting the choke requires taking the pressure off the fast idle cam, thereby allowing the choke to rotate. That should happen with the throttle opening just slightly to allow the fast idle screw to lift up over the steps in the cam. Then the tension in the bi-metallic spring should rotate the choke closed.

fords4life - Well done! I've not rebuilt a tranny in decades, but never did it that cleanly. :nabble_smiley_good:

Jim - I can't get the Eddy manual to load. Like their site is down or they've moved it. Once I find it I'm going to download it and embed it rather than rely on another site.

Anyway, the unloader only opens the choke when you floor the throttle. That's so you can get the engine started if you've flooded it. But it shouldn't have anything to do with setting the choke.

Setting the choke requires taking the pressure off the fast idle cam, thereby allowing the choke to rotate. That should happen with the throttle opening just slightly to allow the fast idle screw to lift up over the steps in the cam. Then the tension in the bi-metallic spring should rotate the choke closed.

Okay, so that isn't happening, until the throttle is wide open.

I haven't looked closely, and I do have the AVS manual, I just need to dig it out.

I'm sure I will get to the root of it.

Thanks for your effort.

Okay, so that isn't happening, until the throttle is wide open.

I haven't looked closely, and I do have the AVS manual, I just need to dig it out.

I'm sure I will get to the root of it.

Thanks for your effort.

I think I have a number of Carter manuals I have downloaded and saved, unfortunately the AVS isn't one I had saved.

I think I have a number of Carter manuals I have downloaded and saved, unfortunately the AVS isn't one I had saved.

I have the manual, but I don't really need it.

I can see how the throttle lever should release the choke, and get up on the fast idle cam.

The shaft doesn't seem sloppy coming across the body, and the linkage with the secondary lockout on the right side is free and easy to move.

I pulled the choke cap, looked inside, and replaced it, bringing it up three lines to the index mark.

We'll see tomorrow.

I have the manual, but I don't really need it.

I can see how the throttle lever should release the choke, and get up on the fast idle cam.

The shaft doesn't seem sloppy coming across the body, and the linkage with the secondary lockout on the right side is free and easy to move.

I pulled the choke cap, looked inside, and replaced it, bringing it up three lines to the index mark.

We'll see tomorrow.

I also developed a no crank issue.

Resetting the clutch safety switch didn't do it, and jumping the fender relay didn't either.

Energizing the solenoid trigger from the hot stud did though. :nabble_anim_jump:

And I'm outta there. :nabble_smiley_super:

Tomorrow am I'll stick a fuse in the safety socket, and if that doesn't work I'll swap relays.

Resetting the clutch safety switch didn't do it, and jumping the fender relay didn't either.

Energizing the solenoid trigger from the hot stud did though. :nabble_anim_jump:

Tomorrow am I'll stick a fuse in the safety socket, and if that doesn't work I'll swap relays.

Wait! I'm lost. Jumping the fender relay didn't work but energizing the solenoid trigger from the hot stud did? I would have thought that both of those were the same thing. Please explain.

And, what is the "safety socket"? :nabble_anim_confused:

Wait! I'm lost. Jumping the fender relay didn't work but energizing the solenoid trigger from the hot stud did? I would have thought that both of those were the same thing. Please explain.

And, what is the "safety socket"? :nabble_anim_confused:

Yeah, I don't get it either, but I got the truck to spin over and start, so I don't care WHY.

At some point during the Bullnose reign Ford took the NSS wiring and connected it to a switch that closes when the clutch pedal is bottomed.

You can't get the truck to crank without depressing the pedal.

It happens that the socket for this switch has the same spacing as a blade fuse, and since you're on your back looking up under the dash anyhow, a spare fuse is right there. :nabble_smiley_good:

The easiest way to diagnose a bad clutch switch is to jump it out.

So unplug the clutch switch and jam a 20A fuse in there, then see if it will turn over.

I need to leave early to go do some trim a few towns over, so I'll be digging around in the dark.

Long cranks because of the choke not setting haven't been doing my 5 year old battery any favors lately,

and I suspect I'm going to have to drop some $ on another Group 65 come payday anyhow.