Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Jochen - I've not done that myself, so I scanned in the section from the factory shop manual on it here: Documentation/Exterior/Stationary Glass - Butyl Type Seal. And while that's from the '85 manual I'd bet it is the same for a '72.

Hope that helps.

Gary, from his description it sounds like the 1972 has a rubber gasket like the rear windows. They can be interesting to do. Procedure was to put a string in the groove, start the windshield in and use the string to pull the lip up over the windshield. If he can find someone who has worked on older German cars, they would be familiar with this procedure. My 1961 Mercedes-Benz 220Sb had that style windshield mounting.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gary, from his description it sounds like the 1972 has a rubber gasket like the rear windows. They can be interesting to do. Procedure was to put a string in the groove, start the windshield in and use the string to pull the lip up over the windshield. If he can find someone who has worked on older German cars, they would be familiar with this procedure. My 1961 Mercedes-Benz 220Sb had that style windshield mounting.

Good point, Bill. I assumed "rubber" meant the butyl gasket/glue. But you may well be right - as usual. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Good point, Bill. I assumed "rubber" meant the butyl gasket/glue. But you may well be right - as usual. :nabble_smiley_wink:
Bill is right, the glass is not glued at all but in rubber gasket around the glass. Getting the glass into the gasket and the glass with the gasket into the cab is no problem with the cord. The problem comes with the chrome moulding around the glass which goes into a third lip in the rubber gasket. Anyway it was worth asking. From another post we learned that it is complicated and needs time and patience and a lot of duck tape. 

Thanks for your answers

Viele GrüßeJochen

'Goop' hand cleaner will make the molding and rubber slippery.

It's easier to get in that way, but much like wrestling a greased pig. :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

In another life I enjoyed working on old Mercedes.

The 6.9's with mechanical injection and the big 300E limousines were favorites.

That central hydraulic *everything* could be a nightmare! (why is there oil pouring out of the back door?!?!😮)

The curtains in the back turned to dust, and no one knew how to make them.

Hardtop 200 series SL's were fun cars as well.

'Goop' hand cleaner will make the molding and rubber slippery.

It's easier to get in that way, but much like wrestling a greased pig. :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

In another life I enjoyed working on old Mercedes.

The 6.9's with mechanical injection and the big 300E limousines were favorites.

That central hydraulic *everything* could be a nightmare! (why is there oil pouring out of the back door?!?!😮)

The curtains in the back turned to dust, and no one knew how to make them.

Hardtop 200 series SL's were fun cars as well.

I finally got out the Color Coat and painted up Huck's blue drivers seatbelt that I got from Gary, and installed it.

I didn't know that the '90's trucks didn't have the seatbelt retractor plunger in the door jamb.

But I cut off the old one to keep the hole filled.

I finally got out the Color Coat and painted up Huck's blue drivers seatbelt that I got from Gary, and installed it.

I didn't know that the '90's trucks didn't have the seatbelt retractor plunger in the door jamb.

But I cut off the old one to keep the hole filled.

How did the seat belt turn out? If I remember correctly it was grossly dirty.

Not compared to mine.

I'll get pics when I dig my old one out of the garbage

Well my new radiator support bushings came in a few days ago. I made a :nabble_florida-man-42_orig: repair to a small section of the inner fender liner mount that was missing from my rad support, and then I laid some paint on the bottom half of the radiator support. I'll do the top half once it's mounted so I won't be putting my fingers all over fresh paint.