Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Ouch! Glad it missed the teeth. Skin grows back.

Hope things go well today. Will be watching for the report tonight.

Didn't get nearly as much done as I wanted to, but had to cut things short for a work event tonight. Also lost a couple hours after my son tripped and fell against the corner of a wall and split his head open. No stitches, but we made a trip to the ER this morning. Truck is ready for spindles. I might be able to spend a little time on it tomorrow, we'll see.

IMG_20191005_161530.jpg.38ab35956c6388c5d62fcefd8dfcd903.jpg

IMG_20191005_161540.thumb.jpg.de88dbf2460a98f7fad069e3de9769e4.jpg

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ouch! Glad it missed the teeth. Skin grows back.

Hope things go well today. Will be watching for the report tonight.

I replaced the wheel cylinders on my truck today. The ones that I pulled off were seized and were not contributing to stopping the truck. After bleeding the rear brakes, it now stops better than it ever has. I'll be replacing the brake shoes wednesday or thursday.

Chris, are you sure the hose is on the right way? Mine have the bend at the tank and cross over the frame, then get weird due to being a dually.

Bingo! This is exactly what it was, I had the hose on backwards. I forced it together after fighting with it for at least 2 weekends now, decided it was too much work to drop the tank and fix, told myself I'll fix it when I replace the body (a project in the future).

Until I started to pour gas in it, I got about a quart into it before it spat back pretty badly.

So I dropped & reinstalled the tank 3 different times + 2 trips to the hardware store (to replace lost or damaged hardware) before I finally got that installation finished. Sheesh, you'd think I'd learn after a while. ;)

One of the ways of forcing it together was to unscrew the filler tube assembly from the body, give it some free play:

fillervalve.jpg.3c89b013b5898d9ac33eeaefb98d2fc3.jpg

Also, the material I used as a replacement buffer to prevent metal-to-metal abrasion did better with some lubrication, I used dish soap:

metal2metalbufferpad.jpg.c58c4fe3a0bcb6b3fd1476e00e6dfcc9.jpg

That stuff is some sort of mudflap-type of material used near the headlights & wiring, I found it in the junkyard and decided it would do. It's glued on with something called The Amazing Goop, this looks to be good stuff. The factory used some sort of fireproof asbestos-type of stuff that isn't readily available in today's market.

Probably won't work on the truck tomorrow, gonna watch my sister & good friend race at the dragstrip. :)

Chris, are you sure the hose is on the right way? Mine have the bend at the tank and cross over the frame, then get weird due to being a dually.

Bingo! This is exactly what it was, I had the hose on backwards. I forced it together after fighting with it for at least 2 weekends now, decided it was too much work to drop the tank and fix, told myself I'll fix it when I replace the body (a project in the future).

Until I started to pour gas in it, I got about a quart into it before it spat back pretty badly.

So I dropped & reinstalled the tank 3 different times + 2 trips to the hardware store (to replace lost or damaged hardware) before I finally got that installation finished. Sheesh, you'd think I'd learn after a while. ;)

One of the ways of forcing it together was to unscrew the filler tube assembly from the body, give it some free play:

Also, the material I used as a replacement buffer to prevent metal-to-metal abrasion did better with some lubrication, I used dish soap:

That stuff is some sort of mudflap-type of material used near the headlights & wiring, I found it in the junkyard and decided it would do. It's glued on with something called The Amazing Goop, this looks to be good stuff. The factory used some sort of fireproof asbestos-type of stuff that isn't readily available in today's market.

Probably won't work on the truck tomorrow, gonna watch my sister & good friend race at the dragstrip. :)

Another layer of the onion peeled! So, with the new tank in you can clean the fuel system, inc the carb, and I'll bet the engine likes it. :nabble_anim_claps:

Another layer of the onion peeled! So, with the new tank in you can clean the fuel system, inc the carb, and I'll bet the engine likes it. :nabble_anim_claps:

I've been busy helping my brother move these past couple of days.

Loooong days.

And I noticed that my auxiliary backup lights are not working, nor are my cab controlled loading lights attached to the rack.

Days are getting shorter as we move into Autumn, so I decided I had to get on this.

I'm using a waterproof screw in co-axial panel connector for the rack mounted fountain lights.

The center (hot) wire had broken free in the plug, presumably from vibration.

Some may remember when I added the $10 pair of Chinese LED's from eBay.

They have worked fantastically for the past five years. :nabble_smiley_good:

Under the back bumper I found my poorly crimped bullet connector had come pulled out, leaving the head in the auxiliary harness connector.

It took a bit to find just the right pair of mini needlenose pliers to get it out.

But I finally got a grip on the silicone slathered nub.

Using my newer ratcheting crimper and the correct dies I'm pretty confident this won't happen again.

I was also glad to note I didn't leave any drips in Robs concrete driveway.

So I'm calling the valve cover re-seal a success! :nabble_anim_jump:

Glad it's not the sender, or gasp, the rear manifold seal. :nabble_smiley_cool:

Good job Chris!

Glad you finally got it sorted.

That rubber shouldn't hold water like the webbing Ford used.

Goop, is pretty much the same as Shoe Goo and the E6000 that Steve83 is always suggesting.

(Works well for waterproofing splices too)

Have fun at the track!

I wish your sister quick reactions and low ET's. :nabble_smiley_super:

I've been busy helping my brother move these past couple of days.

Loooong days.

And I noticed that my auxiliary backup lights are not working, nor are my cab controlled loading lights attached to the rack.

Days are getting shorter as we move into Autumn, so I decided I had to get on this.

I'm using a waterproof screw in co-axial panel connector for the rack mounted fountain lights.

The center (hot) wire had broken free in the plug, presumably from vibration.

Some may remember when I added the $10 pair of Chinese LED's from eBay.

They have worked fantastically for the past five years. :nabble_smiley_good:

Under the back bumper I found my poorly crimped bullet connector had come pulled out, leaving the head in the auxiliary harness connector.

It took a bit to find just the right pair of mini needlenose pliers to get it out.

But I finally got a grip on the silicone slathered nub.

Using my newer ratcheting crimper and the correct dies I'm pretty confident this won't happen again.

I was also glad to note I didn't leave any drips in Robs concrete driveway.

So I'm calling the valve cover re-seal a success! :nabble_anim_jump:

Glad it's not the sender, or gasp, the rear manifold seal. :nabble_smiley_cool:

Jim - I'd wondered if your backup lights were still working fine. Need to add some to Big Blue when the time comes, so thought of yours. Glad you got both sets working again.

How's the fuel situation?

Jim - I'd wondered if your backup lights were still working fine. Need to add some to Big Blue when the time comes, so thought of yours. Glad you got both sets working again.

How's the fuel situation?

Haven't had a chance to fill up yet.

Still running on the front tank.

Was going to be moving yesterday too, but my brother got ordered in to work.

So I took the opportunity to take care of loose ends.

I still need to weld up a rusted out exhaust hanger, (will be stainless)

and straighten my front bumper.

I pushed it in at my brother's old house while shoving the dumpster to the side so we could back the moving van to the garage.

Haven't had a chance to fill up yet.

Still running on the front tank.

Was going to be moving yesterday too, but my brother got ordered in to work.

So I took the opportunity to take care of loose ends.

I still need to weld up a rusted out exhaust hanger, (will be stainless)

and straighten my front bumper.

I pushed it in at my brother's old house while shoving the dumpster to the side so we could back the moving van to the garage.

Yipes! You pushed the bumper in? Your frame has the brackets on the side, right? Did the bumper bend or did one of the brackets?

Stainless hanger? I've read about them, but haven't seen them. Post a pic when you do it, please.

Yipes! You pushed the bumper in? Your frame has the brackets on the side, right? Did the bumper bend or did one of the brackets?

Stainless hanger? I've read about them, but haven't seen them. Post a pic when you do it, please.

Gary, the 1987-91 bumper is nowhere near as substantial as the 1980-86 one, it mounts to the sides of the frame horns and has a set of brackets that the actual bumper bolts to. The one from "Big Ugly" the parts donor was bent when the PO bumped into the back of his Corvair convertible.