Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

If you need the wiper motor, the service motor for 1987-9? is the later motor with an adapter harness.

No, I think I'm good.

My wiper motor has a habit of stalling when used for prolonged time.

I'm going to get to the bottom of this, and I don't want to add another random factor.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No, I think I'm good.

My wiper motor has a habit of stalling when used for prolonged time.

I'm going to get to the bottom of this, and I don't want to add another random factor.

I went back to 'my' truck tonight and set to work.

I drained the oil.

Got Bill his wiper motor.

Got Gary the crank serpentine pulley.

Managed to take out the upper crossmember braces (but not the upper bolts)

And tried like hell to budge those radiator support mounts.

Two days with pb blaster on them.

Tonight I brought my 32" breaker bar *and* 3 fresh 5Ah 20V batteries for the impact gun.

It's just not happening.

If it were not in the situation it's in, I would cut or torch them off, but the plant is open 24/7 during the week so I didn't want to overstep my bounds.

I went back to 'my' truck tonight and set to work.

I drained the oil.

Got Bill his wiper motor.

Got Gary the crank serpentine pulley.

Managed to take out the upper crossmember braces (but not the upper bolts)

And tried like hell to budge those radiator support mounts.

Two days with pb blaster on them.

Tonight I brought my 32" breaker bar *and* 3 fresh 5Ah 20V batteries for the impact gun.

It's just not happening.

If it were not in the situation it's in, I would cut or torch them off, but the plant is open 24/7 during the week so I didn't want to overstep my bounds.

Jim - You are a prince! And I certainly appreciate your efforts. But now I have sooooo much work to do in order to use all of those parts. :nabble_anim_confused:

I’ve arranged to go get the ‘90 on Saturday, unless the weather is bad. I’ll take the neighbor’s trailer as mine isn’t ready yet, although I’ll call tomorrow to make sure that’s the case. And I’ll pull it with Big Blue. That way I can use BB’s winch to pull the truck on. Hopefully the guy will have welded on to the rear of the frame the L-shaped legs he suggested, and I’ll take a couple of skates for them to ride on - and ratchet straps to ensure they don’t come off.

Then there’s the question of how to balance it on the lift to part it out. Normally I put the front arm behind where the radius arm attaches to the frame, and the rear arm at the furthest aft flat spot on the frame. But that spot doesn’t exist on this truck, and with that 460 up front I’m afraid the back edge of the radius arm will be behind the center of gravity especially when I drop the tranny out.

One thought would be to pull the engine first, but the tranny has to come out with it if I don’t put the truck on the lift and drop the tranny that way. But pulling the engine/tranny combo with the cab on seems difficult at best.

Maybe I need to pull the cab as the first step. That would then give me access to the engine and tranny from the top, making it much easier. So, pull the hood, fenders, radiator and support, then remove the wiring/plumbing/linkage that go into the cab, as well as the instrument panel and seats, and pull the 4 bolts holding the cab. Pick that up with the lift, and then go to work on the rest of it.

Suggestions?

Jim - You are a prince! And I certainly appreciate your efforts. But now I have sooooo much work to do in order to use all of those parts. :nabble_anim_confused:

I’ve arranged to go get the ‘90 on Saturday, unless the weather is bad. I’ll take the neighbor’s trailer as mine isn’t ready yet, although I’ll call tomorrow to make sure that’s the case. And I’ll pull it with Big Blue. That way I can use BB’s winch to pull the truck on. Hopefully the guy will have welded on to the rear of the frame the L-shaped legs he suggested, and I’ll take a couple of skates for them to ride on - and ratchet straps to ensure they don’t come off.

Then there’s the question of how to balance it on the lift to part it out. Normally I put the front arm behind where the radius arm attaches to the frame, and the rear arm at the furthest aft flat spot on the frame. But that spot doesn’t exist on this truck, and with that 460 up front I’m afraid the back edge of the radius arm will be behind the center of gravity especially when I drop the tranny out.

One thought would be to pull the engine first, but the tranny has to come out with it if I don’t put the truck on the lift and drop the tranny that way. But pulling the engine/tranny combo with the cab on seems difficult at best.

Maybe I need to pull the cab as the first step. That would then give me access to the engine and tranny from the top, making it much easier. So, pull the hood, fenders, radiator and support, then remove the wiring/plumbing/linkage that go into the cab, as well as the instrument panel and seats, and pull the 4 bolts holding the cab. Pick that up with the lift, and then go to work on the rest of it.

Suggestions?

(Edit, because i dont know how to read from the beginning)

Just put some kind of frame back there and slag bag it.

If it were me, I think I would pull the front sheetmetal and prop up the E4OD.

Unbolt the flexplate and pull the engine by itself.

The 460 is heavy enough, I can't imagine what it weighs *with* the tranny, but I know i wouldn't want all that swinging on my cherrypicker.

Suggestions?

I second Jim's thought, with one change, remove the transfer case first. On lifting it, front pads under the front end of the frame, rear ones under the back of the cab. FWIW, Darth's CG unloaded is right at the back edge of the front doors. I proved that to a shop here on the Eastern Shore when he did an oil change and lube for me on my way to Easton MD to help my cousin move. 90 should still have the TTB system that Big Blue has.

I second Jim's thought, with one change, remove the transfer case first. On lifting it, front pads under the front end of the frame, rear ones under the back of the cab. FWIW, Darth's CG unloaded is right at the back edge of the front doors. I proved that to a shop here on the Eastern Shore when he did an oil change and lube for me on my way to Easton MD to help my cousin move. 90 should still have the TTB system that Big Blue has.

Yeah, there are no radius arms on a 250.

We are going to get a few inches of rain and 30-40 mph winds today.

If I had a place to work I'd be inside cleaning and sorting parts.

Right now I'm going to go see what it's going to take to get my wipers working

Yeah, there are no radius arms on a 250.

We are going to get a few inches of rain and 30-40 mph winds today.

If I had a place to work I'd be inside cleaning and sorting parts.

Right now I'm going to go see what it's going to take to get my wipers working

Ok guys, thanks for the input. I’m going to see if I can get the short thing on the lift as that will make working on it much easier. Thanks again.

Ok guys, thanks for the input. I’m going to see if I can get the short thing on the lift as that will make working on it much easier. Thanks again.

Right - I forgot about the leaf springs in the front. Yup, no radius arms. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Anyway, thanks again for the suggestions. I’m sure it will take a combination thereof, so I’ll be back to get more of them after the weekend.

Right - I forgot about the leaf springs in the front. Yup, no radius arms. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Anyway, thanks again for the suggestions. I’m sure it will take a combination thereof, so I’ll be back to get more of them after the weekend.

I fixed my wipers. Which is a good thing since it poured this afternoon.

Used Lil' Red to help my MIL move the last of her stuff from storage to her apartment.

About two truck fulls in between bands of rain.

Went to Home Depot to get a few totes for Gary and Bill's stuff.

Some strong zip ties to hold them closed,

and a little plastic box for my 3/8 ratchet set.

(that I ran over in the dark last night when leaving the plant)

I need to go cut the truck into pieces so it can dissappear, but I think it best to flatbed it out of there first.

Oh, ETA. I ordered a set of beltline window seals to replace the crumbling ones on my truck.

I fixed my wipers. Which is a good thing since it poured this afternoon.

Used Lil' Red to help my MIL move the last of her stuff from storage to her apartment.

About two truck fulls in between bands of rain.

Went to Home Depot to get a few totes for Gary and Bill's stuff.

Some strong zip ties to hold them closed,

and a little plastic box for my 3/8 ratchet set.

(that I ran over in the dark last night when leaving the plant)

I need to go cut the truck into pieces so it can dissappear, but I think it best to flatbed it out of there first.

Oh, ETA. I ordered a set of beltline window seals to replace the crumbling ones on my truck.

A smart man once said “progress is good”, and you are making progress. Good! :nabble_smiley_good:

By the way, what parts can you use off a ‘90? I’ll need to get rid of some things, I hope.