Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

If you don't get this truck fixed before next year's show, the next "MPG" test is gonna be to your place and back so that we can get that thing running tip top again. :nabble_smiley_good:

Heh, that would be cool. :) Where do you live? Ocala, FLorida still? That's over 1700 miles one way, at least 26 hours just driving. Make it a 2-week road trip-kind of thing and stay here a while and you're on! :)

I decided to finish installing the replacement tank before I go take something more (the carburetor) apart. Got the tank physically installed but am having troubles with the filler tube, I wish it were about an inch longer. Maybe I'll try again this weekend, depending on weather.

newtank.thumb.jpg.7206a91416e72ede3932ad98f31bfd1c.jpg

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If you don't get this truck fixed before next year's show, the next "MPG" test is gonna be to your place and back so that we can get that thing running tip top again. :nabble_smiley_good:

Heh, that would be cool. :) Where do you live? Ocala, FLorida still? That's over 1700 miles one way, at least 26 hours just driving. Make it a 2-week road trip-kind of thing and stay here a while and you're on! :)

I decided to finish installing the replacement tank before I go take something more (the carburetor) apart. Got the tank physically installed but am having troubles with the filler tube, I wish it were about an inch longer. Maybe I'll try again this weekend, depending on weather.

You thinking that the old tank is full of rust? Could be a big part of the problem. I know that I had a rusty tank on that white '82 Explorer and it plugged the accelerator pump discharge nozzles more than once. And that was through two of the clear filters in series.

Chris, are you sure the hose is on the right way? Mine have the bend at the tank and cross over the frame, then get weird due to being a dually.

Chris, are you sure the hose is on the right way? Mine have the bend at the tank and cross over the frame, then get weird due to being a dually.

Good point Bill.

It wasn't long ago that I was trying to explain to someone that they had done that with the kinky lower radiator hose on their 460.

"Pretty sure" but that part was several weeks ago at this point. IIRC I just pulled it off the old and stuck it on the new, paying attention to the plastic vapor tube of course. I hope I have it aligned properly....

You thinking that the old tank is full of rust? Could be a big part of the problem. I know that I had a rusty tank on that white '82 Explorer and it plugged the accelerator pump discharge nozzles more than once. And that was through two of the clear filters in series.

I *know* that old tanks is full of rust, I saw it when I replaced the sending unit before I took it out there. I'm on my 4th inline filter, the stuff it's catching is micro-fine particles so I'm sure some of it has to be making it past the media.

I can shake the old tank around and the rust on the bottom sounds like gravel.

I *know* that old tanks is full of rust, I saw it when I replaced the sending unit before I took it out there. I'm on my 4th inline filter, the stuff it's catching is micro-fine particles so I'm sure some of it has to be making it past the media.

I can shake the old tank around and the rust on the bottom sounds like gravel.

Chris,

If that's the case I would purge the lines before hooking up the new tank (while you have the other end open)

And don't hesitate to go through that carb.

If the tank is rusty there is/was water in there.

So either of our scenarios could be correct.

You could also check the power valve if you have a Mity-Vac or similar.

If it's not dropping open at the set point stamped on it you won't get the enrichment you need.

Chris,

If that's the case I would purge the lines before hooking up the new tank (while you have the other end open)

And don't hesitate to go through that carb.

If the tank is rusty there is/was water in there.

So either of our scenarios could be correct.

You could also check the power valve if you have a Mity-Vac or similar.

If it's not dropping open at the set point stamped on it you won't get the enrichment you need.

Speaking of is/was water, any news on your troubles, Jim?