Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Don't push too hard. Life's meant to be fun, albeit with some bumps.

The timing cover on my Ranger is leaking enough to cause me to have to add a quart in between oil changes. But it's such a big job to get to that, I've just been adding the oil. I don't want to pop the timing cover off without replacing everything else (original parts) that I touch, including the timing chain. At 170,000, it would be a good time to do it if it has slack in it. I just need to set aside some vacation time and just do it. That's easier said than done on your daily driver.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh, i thought you were going to replace it with a truck avenger...

I don't know a lot about the off road float bowls.

Assume that is just hype for center hung.

Having a metering plate front and rear simplifies things.

How long has it been since you filled up?

Ethanol fuel will absorb humidity from the air and when the water (and alcohol) drops out it makes a nasty goo.

If I were investigating I would put some paper towel beneath the bowls and pop them off for a look.

If water is in there you'll see it distinct from the fuel as it's absorbed by the towel.

This didn't happen overnight, I first noticed it on my way back from Gary's last year when I couldn't get it to go over 55 MPH passing through Kansas. I am personally curious as to how much rust dust made it through the filters but that's just a guess, it was fine on its way out there.

I'm working overnight these Mon & Tue nights (which means starting in about 2 hours) + it's kinda cold & crappy outside so it'll be a little while before I can mess with it again.

Thanks for the help! :)

This didn't happen overnight, I first noticed it on my way back from Gary's last year when I couldn't get it to go over 55 MPH passing through Kansas. I am personally curious as to how much rust dust made it through the filters but that's just a guess, it was fine on its way out there.

I'm working overnight these Mon & Tue nights (which means starting in about 2 hours) + it's kinda cold & crappy outside so it'll be a little while before I can mess with it again.

Thanks for the help! :)

Shaun - I fully understand not wanting to take things off and not fix it all. Why is one of the reasons I can't flip vehicles - I put way too much money into them.

Chris - Is 55 MPH also 2500 RPM? In other words, did it just suddenly have the full-blown problem or has it gotten worse?

So you are getting the remnants of that big storm? We are supposed to get what's left tomorrow night.

Shaun - I fully understand not wanting to take things off and not fix it all. Why is one of the reasons I can't flip vehicles - I put way too much money into them.

Chris - Is 55 MPH also 2500 RPM? In other words, did it just suddenly have the full-blown problem or has it gotten worse?

So you are getting the remnants of that big storm? We are supposed to get what's left tomorrow night.

Gary,

I can't say exactly 2500 RPM = any specific speed, generally I'm at 3000-3200k at highway speeds, though.

It's also hard to say for certain if the problem has gotten worse or not; it *seems like* it has gotten worse over time and in fact I now won't drive the thing on the roads, it kinda scares me to do so.

But I am mostly glad the problem is easily repeatable on demand.

I should open the thing up some (remove the front bowl, at least) and see what comes out, I am suspicious that rust & debris got past the filters.

Yes, that same storm; cloudy & wet here although nothing major, no snow yet down in the city.

Gary,

I can't say exactly 2500 RPM = any specific speed, generally I'm at 3000-3200k at highway speeds, though.

It's also hard to say for certain if the problem has gotten worse or not; it *seems like* it has gotten worse over time and in fact I now won't drive the thing on the roads, it kinda scares me to do so.

But I am mostly glad the problem is easily repeatable on demand.

I should open the thing up some (remove the front bowl, at least) and see what comes out, I am suspicious that rust & debris got past the filters.

Yes, that same storm; cloudy & wet here although nothing major, no snow yet down in the city.

Chris - It should be pretty obvious when found then. And last year there wasn't any weather or such for you to drive through, so it isn't likely it is the exhaust having collapsed due to hitting water. And, you don't have a catalytic converter, right? So it isn't plugged.

That pretty much leaves the carb.

As for the storm, I'm on the back porch with its red-neck A/C - a fan in one end pulling cool air from the house in and pushing warm air from the porch back into the house. And I'm hoping that as of tonight when we get the major temp shift I can turn that thing off. Temps are supposed to drop from the mid-90's in the day to the mid-70's, and then next week into the 60's. :nabble_anim_jump:

Chris - It should be pretty obvious when found then. And last year there wasn't any weather or such for you to drive through, so it isn't likely it is the exhaust having collapsed due to hitting water. And, you don't have a catalytic converter, right? So it isn't plugged.

That pretty much leaves the carb.

As for the storm, I'm on the back porch with its red-neck A/C - a fan in one end pulling cool air from the house in and pushing warm air from the porch back into the house. And I'm hoping that as of tonight when we get the major temp shift I can turn that thing off. Temps are supposed to drop from the mid-90's in the day to the mid-70's, and then next week into the 60's. :nabble_anim_jump:

And mid 90's in the Carolina's...

I noticed this morning that I have less than 1,000 miles to hit 450k.

IMG_20191002_082304.thumb.jpg.cb7797c60a199af3d112ff0cd8a2e791.jpg

If I installed a reman engine at 280,000 in March of '08 (when I joined FTE) that means this engine has 170,000 miles on it over the past 11 years.

It's really amazing how clean it is inside (see above)

I credit a steady diet of diesel oil.

Rotella and Delvac mostly.

Chris, refresh us as to what was done while @ Gary's. I remember some adjustments being made on the carburetor. And, possibly the timing?

Chris, refresh us as to what was done while @ Gary's. I remember some adjustments being made on the carburetor. And, possibly the timing?

Received my Ebay impulse buy today. Neglected to realize they are from a California truck and lack any sort of corrosion. :nabble_smiley_good:

DSCN2063.jpg.72f902652529bacc2ec9aa90d5006bbb.jpg

I still have the old emblems from my brown truck, so I used them to put new holes in my fenders. No barrel nuts on these so they're a little loose in the photo, hence the misalignment. I only used one of the original holes from the newer emblems, and that was the one where the "C" is. The rest had to be drilled. For reference, the two leftover holes are for the newer 4x2,4x4,XL, and XLT emblems. I will need to fill those at a later date.

DSCN2061.jpg.8640b316f493214b1ac597e9ce6739d4.jpg

Received my Ebay impulse buy today. Neglected to realize they are from a California truck and lack any sort of corrosion. :nabble_smiley_good:

I still have the old emblems from my brown truck, so I used them to put new holes in my fenders. No barrel nuts on these so they're a little loose in the photo, hence the misalignment. I only used one of the original holes from the newer emblems, and that was the one where the "C" is. The rest had to be drilled. For reference, the two leftover holes are for the newer 4x2,4x4,XL, and XLT emblems. I will need to fill those at a later date.

Hey, Shaun. :nabble_waving_orig:

Hey, Shaun. :nabble_waving_orig:

Shaun - Cool! I think you did well with that buy. :nabble_smiley_good:

Chris - Don't miss David's request to be refreshed on what we did to your truck last year.

And perhaps you've missed it, but Shaun is hoping to make the show next year. Maybe we'll all get to meet him. :nabble_smiley_wink: