Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Chris, dumb question, did you perchance run it through a deep puddle with it hot? I have seen collapsed exhaust pipes from this.

When I pulled my valve cover I found the two lower rear bolt holes in the head were full of oil, so I shot them out with brake cleaner.

Then I cleaned the bolts by dousing them in brake cleaner while rolling them around in a rag.

One last shot, as a rinse.

IMG_20190930_164453.thumb.jpg.5f684ae5239b4caabfd0c438134cd0bf.jpg

And a drop of blue Loctite on each.

I cut a chopstick into seven pieces with my dikes, and used them to hold the gasket in place on the head while I got the valve cover into position. (These silicone gaskets are very floppy, and only take inch pounds of fastener torque)

So, we'll see if I fixed it when I get to work in the morning.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh, i thought you were going to replace it with a truck avenger...

I don't know a lot about the off road float bowls.

Assume that is just hype for center hung.

Having a metering plate front and rear simplifies things.

How long has it been since you filled up?

Ethanol fuel will absorb humidity from the air and when the water (and alcohol) drops out it makes a nasty goo.

If I were investigating I would put some paper towel beneath the bowls and pop them off for a look.

If water is in there you'll see it distinct from the fuel as it's absorbed by the towel.

When I pulled my valve cover I found the two lower rear bolt holes in the head were full of oil, so I shot them out with brake cleaner.

Then I cleaned the bolts by dousing them in brake cleaner while rolling them around in a rag.

One last shot, as a rinse.

And a drop of blue Loctite on each.

I cut a chopstick into seven pieces with my dikes, and used them to hold the gasket in place on the head while I got the valve cover into position. (These silicone gaskets are very floppy, and only take inch pounds of fastener torque)

So, we'll see if I fixed it when I get to work in the morning.

Interesting that your blue Loctite is in a red tube. My red Loctite is in a blue tube. :nabble_anim_confused:

Anyway, do you think the gasket was bad? You have the cast OMC valve covers, so they shouldn't have bent like the tin ones.

Interesting that your blue Loctite is in a red tube. My red Loctite is in a blue tube. :nabble_anim_confused:

Anyway, do you think the gasket was bad? You have the cast OMC valve covers, so they shouldn't have bent like the tin ones.

I know. It's kinda weird, isn't it?

Henkel is headquartered here in Stamford.

Maybe I should make an inquiry?

Maybe I could get some swag and free anerobics?

The covers aren't bent, and the leak is almost gone.

I need to get my inspection mirror out and check the OPS...

Because there's still a little bit of oil.

Actually, I should degreased the engine first, and spray some foot powder back there.

It'll show up immediately.

I know. It's kinda weird, isn't it?

Henkel is headquartered here in Stamford.

Maybe I should make an inquiry?

Maybe I could get some swag and free anerobics?

The covers aren't bent, and the leak is almost gone.

I need to get my inspection mirror out and check the OPS...

Because there's still a little bit of oil.

Actually, I should degreased the engine first, and spray some foot powder back there.

It'll show up immediately.

Yeah, ask they why. Tell them my battery box will never fall of. And may never even come off. Was on short time and got out there with the blue bottle. Oh bummer! So I used it. Those 10-32's will never come out. :nabble_smiley_scared:

Let's hope it is the valve cover and not the rear china wall.

Yeah, ask they why. Tell them my battery box will never fall of. And may never even come off. Was on short time and got out there with the blue bottle. Oh bummer! So I used it. Those 10-32's will never come out. :nabble_smiley_scared:

Let's hope it is the valve cover and not the rear china wall.

Shhhhhhh! :nabble_smiley_uh:

Don't even go there.

Sorry. Terrible thought. But the last two trucks I've acquired, Rusty and Big Blue, both had SERIOUS problems there. It is still a very sensitive spot in my mind. :nabble_smiley_cry:

The intake is not too much of a pita.

But I have to pull the distributor and drain the coolant, buy a gasket set, etc.

I don't have the time for that.