Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Another vote for LUK.I pulled my left valve cover looking for a leak at the rear that was burning off the manifold.Oh, I love Tennessee's finest Lifetime Gaskets.And, THIS happened.....
The thought to look inside the distributor is a good one, I didn't find anything unusual there:20190930_125126.jpg.8f030c3f41d1a158cf81e93f8a5c8965.jpg

And so I made a video:

Whatchya think? Looks & acts like fuel delivery to me....I need to figure out how to overlay text onto that thing, I'm trying to show the vacuum port where the cap came off and caused a huge vacuum leak; the real show doesn't begin until a minute into it, sorry. :(

The thought to look inside the distributor is a good one, I didn't find anything unusual there:

And so I made a video:

Whatchya think? Looks & acts like fuel delivery to me....I need to figure out how to overlay text onto that thing, I'm trying to show the vacuum port where the cap came off and caused a huge vacuum leak; the real show doesn't begin until a minute into it, sorry. :(
The dizzy looks fine, so I doubt it is the wires.And I think it has to be fuel given the way it dies and comes back. In other words, if the ignition quit and the engine kept spinning when the ignition came back there would be lots of backfires and booms due to the extra gas in the cylinders and exhaust.In fact, it quits so cleanly I think the idle circuit is what you are running on and the main circuit is plugged. But don't ask me how that can be when you have front and rear bowls.Also, I wish you'd have included a shot of that gas filter as the engine was dying and coming back. Does it remain full?

The dizzy looks fine, so I doubt it is the wires.

And I think it has to be fuel given the way it dies and comes back. In other words, if the ignition quit and the engine kept spinning when the ignition came back there would be lots of backfires and booms due to the extra gas in the cylinders and exhaust.

In fact, it quits so cleanly I think the idle circuit is what you are running on and the main circuit is plugged. But don't ask me how that can be when you have front and rear bowls.

Also, I wish you'd have included a shot of that gas filter as the engine was dying and coming back. Does it remain full?

Yeah, the filter stays full, it's the very first thing I checked when these symptoms began. I didn't remember until afterwards that I never showed that, I guess because it's been removed from the equation already.

Yeah, I can directly moderate its time of death with my hand....

Yeah, the filter stays full, it's the very first thing I checked when these symptoms began. I didn't remember until afterwards that I never showed that, I guess because it's been removed from the equation already.

Yeah, I can directly moderate its time of death with my hand....

Jim - I hope things mixed as you filled that tank. I'm remembering all too well dumping the appropriate 2-stroke oil in an empty tank and then filling it up with gas. Yep, the plugs fouled immediately.

Chris - If the filter stays full then I'm thinking the carb is badly plugged. If I remember correctly that carb only has idle adjusting screws in the primaries, right? If so then that simplifies things. You aren't getting into the secondaries nor the enrichment circuit, so we have a problem with the cruise circuit in the primaries.

I'm not nearly as experienced on Holleys as Bill or Jim, but I'd pull the primary bowl and see what's in there. Something is plugging the metering block, or the float is stuck, or ......

Jim - I hope things mixed as you filled that tank. I'm remembering all too well dumping the appropriate 2-stroke oil in an empty tank and then filling it up with gas. Yep, the plugs fouled immediately.

Chris - If the filter stays full then I'm thinking the carb is badly plugged. If I remember correctly that carb only has idle adjusting screws in the primaries, right? If so then that simplifies things. You aren't getting into the secondaries nor the enrichment circuit, so we have a problem with the cruise circuit in the primaries.

I'm not nearly as experienced on Holleys as Bill or Jim, but I'd pull the primary bowl and see what's in there. Something is plugging the metering block, or the float is stuck, or ......

Gary, if you worked for Conoco you know that gasoline these days is just a blend of the least costly hydrocarbons on the spot market that day that will deliver the octane number needed.

Toluene, is one of them.

But it is also miscable with water at a set ratio, and does not phase separate like the ethanol.

I drive it like I stole it, so I'm sure it was mixed in the first three corners.

Chris, I didn't note, if you mentioned it, what Holley do you have now?

Gary, if you worked for Conoco you know that gasoline these days is just a blend of the least costly hydrocarbons on the spot market that day that will deliver the octane number needed.

Toluene, is one of them.

But it is also miscable with water at a set ratio, and does not phase separate like the ethanol.

I drive it like I stole it, so I'm sure it was mixed in the first three corners.

Chris, I didn't note, if you mentioned it, what Holley do you have now?

Jim,

Holley Truck Avenger 670 cfm

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/carburetors/avenger/off-road_truck_avenger/parts/0-90670

Jim - I was in IT in Conoco. But I do know a bit about the chemical makeup of gasoline, so was aware that toluene is a part of it.

My point was that a full tank doesn't slosh and, in my case the two liquids didn't mix. Or, didn't mix thoroughly enough. However, 2-stroke oil is sticky and toluene is thin, so it probably mixed as the gas came in.