Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Don't know where this belongs but Horrid Fate has a $10 coupon (#23681520) for its 40" folding step/bench/work platform making it $39.99.

Seems a good deal to me.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n39249/56203_W3.jpg

I wanted to get 2 of them to paint my cab, 1 for each side so I would not have to move it around along with the air hose & spray gun but HF did not have any but could order and maybe get it in a week. I went to Northern Tool and they had 2 in stock.

They are a little high to step up on and the little "ladder" for the legs are too short between rungs.

They worked great for painting and make a great bench seat to sit on.

Dave ----

That's why I like my drywall step bench.

It has sturdy rails at half height on each side.

It's meant for getting up off the ground with a 12' piece of sheetrock in your hands.

But it's also pushing $300, so at almost 1/10 the cost, the NT/HF/HD bench is awfully tempting for those without a tradesman's needs.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just using Rustoleum automotive enamel. Only timeframe is not applying any other paint for 24 hours.

Thanks. That's easier than having to catch something like POR15 while it is still soft. Let us know how it goes, please.

The Rust Reformer lays down really nice. Almost like a heavy primer. Using auto enamel on top of that with no issues so far. Lots more cleaning and painting today.

IMG_20190928_171407.jpg.a2c6ea7e082adef54bb8e77bb91d711f.jpg

IMG_20190928_171354.thumb.jpg.838e895bb7ec5ebbbe713a73ab5365be.jpg

IMG_20190928_171345.thumb.jpg.8674d0eebe7527c9dc3f662c2f4af62a.jpg

IMG_20190928_171342.thumb.jpg.5ccd835e3a8b13537fda380e7f35a330.jpg

IMG_20190928_171319.jpg.7d93fafd7c30696e19bc7e2bfe9dee4b.jpg

IMG_20190928_171309.jpg.1a534ad7e6f96aba38576d4368a0c247.jpg

IMG_20190928_171338.thumb.jpg.8170839ffd2cfe3e526b5f54c8d5e685.jpg

Just using Rustoleum automotive enamel. Only timeframe is not applying any other paint for 24 hours.

Thanks. That's easier than having to catch something like POR15 while it is still soft. Let us know how it goes, please.

The Rust Reformer lays down really nice. Almost like a heavy primer. Using auto enamel on top of that with no issues so far. Lots more cleaning and painting today.

Dave - Good to know. Northern Tool is right on 71st St close to the mall where we'll be on Tuesday, and HF is up near 21st St. I'll hit Northern and it may save me a trip.

Fords4life - That's really looking good. Glad to know that it works that well. :nabble_smiley_good:

Chris, your garage floor looks FANTASTIC!

You could eat off it (and I have done WAY worse)

it's been a long time since discussion of winch mounting happened on FTE.

Glad to see lots of chips. Even the water brought in from the rain on the sole of your shoe will put you on your ...

Thanks for stopping by!:nabble_waving_orig:

We miss seeing Max. (man, if anything dates me. :nabble_smiley_unhappy:)

Thanks, man, the garage was a summer project between jobs 2 years ago by now. I haven't pursued the winch mountings more than getting a good friend who's good at fabricating stuff to come over and look at everything and think about it. And I've got a new job that sometimes has me working weird hours, so....

As for what I did to my truck recently, I'm in the midst of replacing the side tank; I got one of those painted ones off of Rock Auto because I've had bad luck with Spectra products and don't feel like repeating that any more.

But I'm running it off of the rear tank, and I changed the fuel filter at the carburetor (again). Then, figured out the rear secondaries aren't opening... no wonder it won't rev real high... my father says to convert them to mechanical because vacuum-operated secondaries have never been reliable (he says).

I think I'll begin with investigating the vacuum actuator. Holley Truck Avenger 670 cfm.

Glad to see lots of chips. Even the water brought in from the rain on the sole of your shoe will put you on your ...

Thanks, man, the garage was a summer project between jobs 2 years ago by now. I haven't pursued the winch mountings more than getting a good friend who's good at fabricating stuff to come over and look at everything and think about it. And I've got a new job that sometimes has me working weird hours, so....

As for what I did to my truck recently, I'm in the midst of replacing the side tank; I got one of those painted ones off of Rock Auto because I've had bad luck with Spectra products and don't feel like repeating that any more.

But I'm running it off of the rear tank, and I changed the fuel filter at the carburetor (again). Then, figured out the rear secondaries aren't opening... no wonder it won't rev real high... my father says to convert them to mechanical because vacuum-operated secondaries have never been reliable (he says).

I think I'll begin with investigating the vacuum actuator. Holley Truck Avenger 670 cfm.

Chris - There's a diaphragm in the secondary system. If it split or leaks you'll have problems.

Is that why you can't get more than 2500 R's?

Vacuum secondaries are very reliable, and very repeatable on opening points. A torn or dry rotted diaphragm is what kills them.

Vacuum secondaries are very reliable, and very repeatable on opening points. A torn or dry rotted diaphragm is what kills them.

Thanks, guys, I'm hoping it's something like that (failed diaphragm).

Yeah, this is exactly the cause, Gary! I finally had to remove the air cleaner, start it up and peer directly into the carburetor while I floored it with my hand and watch what was going on.

The gas tanks are shot internally (rust), parking it for 7 years isn't good for them. I was hoping that wouldn't happen to me, given how dry of a climate Colorado is.

The carburetor was rebuilt just about 2 years ago now so I'm surprised to see it having problems so soon.

Don't listen to your father.

The LAST thing you want on a (most) trucks is mechanical secondary.

I'm running a 650 AVS ony 460 right now, and thinking of going back to the 750 1460 Holley because I catch myself running out of steam around 105.

I might send it your way (if you like)

Gary has all the knowledge and bits to have it purring like a kitten on your 335.

Hope the new job is treating you well, and thanks for stopping by.

Don't listen to your father.

The LAST thing you want on a (most) trucks is mechanical secondary.

I'm running a 650 AVS ony 460 right now, and thinking of going back to the 750 1460 Holley because I catch myself running out of steam around 105.

I might send it your way (if you like)

Gary has all the knowledge and bits to have it purring like a kitten on your 335.

Hope the new job is treating you well, and thanks for stopping by.

I didn't do much to the truck today, aside from moving from one side of the drive, to the other. I had to get the Miata out of the garage. I took it up to the shop, and swapped the tires around. Was time to turn them around on the wheels, and swap sides (directional tread) as the high g-loading and lack of camber had killed the very outer edge. There's another autocross tomorrow, and I don't think the tires would have lasted the entire day, without cording the edge. Thankfully, I now a "fresh" outer edge, which should hold up till the season is over. New tires are planned for next season.

The Miata is a fun car, dunno why I don't get it out more often. Oh yeah, the A/C condenser has a hole in it. I discovered it when I put the JDM engine in back in July. For some reason, the old engine had developed a thirst for oil, maybe it had something to do with the 291,000 miles on the odometer..... She burned so much oil, I had to unhook the oxygen sensor to keep the ECU from leaning it out way too much, causing the engine to overheat.

Yeah, I know the title of this thread asks about stuff done to a truck, not a tiny little roadster, but the truck has been doing fine.

As for the step-bench, I have one I use frequently working on trucks. I also have an "Over the engine creeper". That is kinda like a step-ladder, but has a padded platform that you can lay on, while reaching the rear-most areas under the hood of a truck. It even is height adjustable, so lifted trucks are MUCH less of a pain in the back to work on.

I didn't do much to the truck today, aside from moving from one side of the drive, to the other. I had to get the Miata out of the garage. I took it up to the shop, and swapped the tires around. Was time to turn them around on the wheels, and swap sides (directional tread) as the high g-loading and lack of camber had killed the very outer edge. There's another autocross tomorrow, and I don't think the tires would have lasted the entire day, without cording the edge. Thankfully, I now a "fresh" outer edge, which should hold up till the season is over. New tires are planned for next season.

The Miata is a fun car, dunno why I don't get it out more often. Oh yeah, the A/C condenser has a hole in it. I discovered it when I put the JDM engine in back in July. For some reason, the old engine had developed a thirst for oil, maybe it had something to do with the 291,000 miles on the odometer..... She burned so much oil, I had to unhook the oxygen sensor to keep the ECU from leaning it out way too much, causing the engine to overheat.

Yeah, I know the title of this thread asks about stuff done to a truck, not a tiny little roadster, but the truck has been doing fine.

As for the step-bench, I have one I use frequently working on trucks. I also have an "Over the engine creeper". That is kinda like a step-ladder, but has a padded platform that you can lay on, while reaching the rear-most areas under the hood of a truck. It even is height adjustable, so lifted trucks are MUCH less of a pain in the back to work on.

Chris - I doubt you can get enough vacuum drop in neutral to get the secondaries to come in, if that's what you are trying to do. With no load on the engine the vacuum won't go into the region needed to overcome the spring and open the secondaries.

There's a test using a paper clip to test how far the secondaries open under load. Here's one discussion thereof: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/c1-and-c2-corvettes/760737-what-is-and-how-do-you-do-the-paper-clip-test-for-holley-s.html.

And Jim is correct, mechanical secondaries aren't what you want in a truck. You'll create a big bog when you give it too much throttle and the RPM isn't up there yet. Plus, if you think you have bad MPG now, you ain't seen nothing yet. Been there, done that, and turned the back bumper blue while I watched the fuel gauge move opposite to the tach. :nabble_smiley_argh:

Work up a deal with Jim for that 650 AVS. At least it'll determine if the carb is the problem. At best, you'll see a noticeable MPG improvement and you can bring the truck back for the show next year.

Jim - I know you aren't about MPG, but it would be interesting to see what difference there is between the two carbs.

Paul - Good luck in the autocross today. I really loved driving my Miata, so you'll have to report back on how much fun you have.