Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

That is how I did the harnesses on Darth, the worst was the rear chassis harness. The bricknose donor was a standard cab long bed so in order to use the rear harness I had to add 35" to the portion forward of the front tank and behind the transmission.

If you or anyone else needs it I have a fairly complete rear chassis harness from a 1986 crew cab with electric pumps.

Luckily I've already rebuilt most of the rear harness, with exception to the fuel tanks. Thanks for the offer though.

This is another WHYDFYTT. Scotty The Mad Porter called and said the short block is ready to ship. So I paid him and it'll probably ship later this week.

I did ask him about sending the heads to him and having him assemble the engine and break it in. I'm worried that I won't have the EFI sorted and things will go south and the cam won't get its 20 minute break-in run. Scott said he has a 4bbl adapter that he uses to break in EFI engines, and he'll send me one when the time comes. So with that and a DS-II dizzy it'll be easy to fire it and break it in before getting the EFI sorted.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I see the little bench you're using for a step into the engine bay.

How do you like it? It isn't too tall?

Looks about the same as the HF one that goes on sale all the time.

I have an adjustable drywall bench that I might just have to give a try....

I picked up a pair of those from Lowe's a few years back for painting our garage ceiling. Used them shortly after when a friend came over to tune in the carb on the 85 460. They worked/work great - gave us both plenty of stable room to stand that spanned across the front of the truck. A worthwhile investment that beats working hunched over with your knees on the core support or slipping off the front bumper.

Don't know where this belongs but Horrid Fate has a $10 coupon (#23681520) for its 40" folding step/bench/work platform making it $39.99.

Seems a good deal to me.

56203_W3.thumb.jpg.49099a4b2351cccd71cdad7da512e0eb.jpg

Don't know where this belongs but Horrid Fate has a $10 coupon (#23681520) for its 40" folding step/bench/work platform making it $39.99.

Seems a good deal to me.

Speaking of horrible freight....

They are really putting the screws to Snap On. Getting their stuff built in the same factories and undercutting Snap On by massive margins.

I watched a guy get into their new "Icon" line of tool boxes and jump up and down in the drawers yesterday. I'm pretty sure they are made in the same factory as Snap On and they charge half the price because there isn't 10 guys in the process from factory to buyer to add their cut.

Basically everything they have listed as "Icon" is a Snap On tool that they improved on and offered at a lower price.

Looks like they are going after a few other companies too.

Speaking of horrible freight....

They are really putting the screws to Snap On. Getting their stuff built in the same factories and undercutting Snap On by massive margins.

I watched a guy get into their new "Icon" line of tool boxes and jump up and down in the drawers yesterday. I'm pretty sure they are made in the same factory as Snap On and they charge half the price because there isn't 10 guys in the process from factory to buyer to add their cut.

Basically everything they have listed as "Icon" is a Snap On tool that they improved on and offered at a lower price.

Looks like they are going after a few other companies too.

Yeah,

They sure have stepped up their game!

There are a few consumables that I always pick up (gloves, big Tywraps)

Abrasives and cutting tools still suck.

But their fine tooth composite ratchets are my goto in winter when steel tools remind me how many broken bones I have in my hands.

Way back when, it was "Jap Crap", then the Taiwanese, then the Chinese tools that were barely serviceable.

Now even India is making decent stuff.

China will make anything to a cost for anybody.

Harbor Freight has longstanding relationships with these factories, shipping companies, etc.

Eric knows what it takes to be competitive.

And they're selling to the middle AND the bottom of the market.

For a homeowner/hobbyist it's all good.

Are they going after Festool? No I don't think so...

But tradesmen don't point and laugh if you show up with some 'cheap' piece of rarely used equipment.

Mostly because they have a bunch of HF in their garage at home.

Do I come to work with a Harbor Freight tablesaw or slide miter?

Nope.

But my next jobsite compressor is going to be a Fortress.

I have a $20 grinder.that lives with a diamond masonry blade in it, and I can't kill it.

Yeah,

They sure have stepped up their game!

There are a few consumables that I always pick up (gloves, big Tywraps)

Abrasives and cutting tools still suck.

But their fine tooth composite ratchets are my goto in winter when steel tools remind me how many broken bones I have in my hands.

Way back when, it was "Jap Crap", then the Taiwanese, then the Chinese tools that were barely serviceable.

Now even India is making decent stuff.

China will make anything to a cost for anybody.

Harbor Freight has longstanding relationships with these factories, shipping companies, etc.

Eric knows what it takes to be competitive.

And they're selling to the middle AND the bottom of the market.

For a homeowner/hobbyist it's all good.

Are they going after Festool? No I don't think so...

But tradesmen don't point and laugh if you show up with some 'cheap' piece of rarely used equipment.

Mostly because they have a bunch of HF in their garage at home.

Do I come to work with a Harbor Freight tablesaw or slide miter?

Nope.

But my next jobsite compressor is going to be a Fortress.

I have a $20 grinder.that lives with a diamond masonry blade in it, and I can't kill it.

I stopped at the HF store in Salisbury yesterday because I found I needed a larger bearing splitter for the Sterling 10.25". $29.97 + the government's cut. It looks pretty hefty and if it gets 3 bearings off (pinion inner to get the shim thickness and the two on the differential case) I will be very satisfied.

I stopped at the HF store in Salisbury yesterday because I found I needed a larger bearing splitter for the Sterling 10.25". $29.97 + the government's cut. It looks pretty hefty and if it gets 3 bearings off (pinion inner to get the shim thickness and the two on the differential case) I will be very satisfied.

Headed into T-town on Tuesday and may just have to swing by HF and pick up one of those steps. I've been using a wooden bar stool that is too tall and has seen better days. This thing may be just what is needed.

As for tool boxes, I have an HF box under my lathe. It is MUCH stronger than the original stand, and holds all the tooling to boot. However it is probably 10 years old, so HF may well have changed from that line or added another one. But back then the story was that HF bought the rights to an old Snap-On line of boxes and was having them made in China.

And, I have HF bearing splitters. They are massive. And they work.

Headed into T-town on Tuesday and may just have to swing by HF and pick up one of those steps. I've been using a wooden bar stool that is too tall and has seen better days. This thing may be just what is needed.

As for tool boxes, I have an HF box under my lathe. It is MUCH stronger than the original stand, and holds all the tooling to boot. However it is probably 10 years old, so HF may well have changed from that line or added another one. But back then the story was that HF bought the rights to an old Snap-On line of boxes and was having them made in China.

And, I have HF bearing splitters. They are massive. And they work.

Hi!

Been busy around here with a bunch of work and personal stuff, but I had to put the roof on the Bronco this week as we are about to get cold and wet.. The summer was fun with the roof off!

Hi!

Been busy around here with a bunch of work and personal stuff, but I had to put the roof on the Bronco this week as we are about to get cold and wet.. The summer was fun with the roof off!

Welcome back! (I'd say "Kotter" but you might not understand. :nabble_smiley_wink:)

It has cooled off a bit here as well. And it is WET! We are under a flood watch right now.

Anyway, glad you are still around. :nabble_smiley_good: