Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Matthew, I am looking forward to meeting you, and your truck!

Your truck is nearly a twin to mine, aside from the trim level. Mine is Ranger, with Explorer package, and had the exact same drivetrain when new.

Safe travels to everybody heading toward a certain fly over state to meet up with a Gary fellow.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Your truck is nearly a twin to mine, aside from the trim level. Mine is Ranger, with Explorer package, and had the exact same drivetrain when new.

Same here - I've been talking to you and others around here for nearly a decade now, I'm looking forward to finally getting to put some faces to names. :nabble_smiley_good:

Plus I can't wait to see some other trucks - I remember yours (until the swap) as being the nearest 'twin' to mine out there. It occurred to me the other day that I've never actually been in another Bullnose before, so I'm going to enjoy seeing what else is out there.

Same here - I've been talking to you and others around here for nearly a decade now, I'm looking forward to finally getting to put some faces to names. :nabble_smiley_good:

Plus I can't wait to see some other trucks - I remember yours (until the swap) as being the nearest 'twin' to mine out there. It occurred to me the other day that I've never actually been in another Bullnose before, so I'm going to enjoy seeing what else is out there.

Mine certainly isn't the cleanest, as it has seen more than 300K over the last ~40 years. But, I could take you for a ride and let you feel the difference on the highway. It's hard to describe just how well it pulls in OD, for a completely stock engine, and the 2.75 axle. Final drive ratio is 2:1.

It's hard to describe just how well it pulls in OD, for a completely stock engine, and the 2.75 axle. Final drive ratio is 2:1.

What size tires are you running Paul? What is your average/usual mpg?

Rear tires are 28.8" (235/75-15) according to the manufacturers specs.

I cannot give accurate MPG numbers as the speedo/odo haven't moved in years. Ford speedo cable just doesn't fit into a dodge trans worth a hoot. But, based on GPS miles, I get 25-30 MPG. Kinda depends on how much highway miles are driven per tank. More highway miles, higher MPG average. Someday, I may take it on a long enough highway run to see what it is capable of getting when left in OD for a while.

It's hard to describe just how well it pulls in OD, for a completely stock engine, and the 2.75 axle. Final drive ratio is 2:1.

I cannot give accurate MPG numbers as the speedo/odo haven't moved in years. Ford speedo cable just doesn't fit into a dodge trans worth a hoot. But, based on GPS miles, I get 25-30 MPG. Kinda depends on how much highway miles are driven per tank. More highway miles, higher MPG average. Someday, I may take it on a long enough highway run to see what it is capable of getting when left in OD for a while.

Just a small, but necessary mod today. I picked up a Brick/Aeronose wiper motor harness from the junkyard this morning. Luckily for me, the terminals are the same 1980-1996, so all I had to do was pull the pins from both connectors, and put my 86 harness pins in the newer connectors. Only soldering I had to do was for the two ground wires.

Thanks Jim for the 87 EVTM pages, they helped big time. :nabble_smiley_good:

Thanks Paul, that’s good to know. 2.00 is a tall ratio, but not all that effectively different than what I have planned considering the larger wheels and tires on a F350. And that’s about what I hear for mpg with a F150 swap 6BT, 4BT, or IDI. I have not heard any reliable figures from smaller diesel swaps like the Perkins or Deutz. However if similar results are coming from 3.9L, 5.9L and 6.9/7.3L I doubt going smaller would be much different.

Thanks Paul, that’s good to know. 2.00 is a tall ratio, but not all that effectively different than what I have planned considering the larger wheels and tires on a F350. And that’s about what I hear for mpg with a F150 swap 6BT, 4BT, or IDI. I have not heard any reliable figures from smaller diesel swaps like the Perkins or Deutz. However if similar results are coming from 3.9L, 5.9L and 6.9/7.3L I doubt going smaller would be much different.

Yeah, the 4BT vs 6BT debate will always exist. Simple fact is, the 4BT lacks the low end grunt found in the 6BT. This means the 4BT has to work harder just to maintain speed. That relates to needing more fuel input. Just wasn't worth the extra cost of finding a 4BT, and tuning it for more power, considering the rather small difference in engine weight. Even the new injectors and having the pump rebuilt, I have just over $3200 in the engine and trans. Cheapest 4BT I found at the time was $2500, without a trans.

The 2:1 FD ratio was just a happy accident. 2.75 axle was factory, and I was planning to swap in a 3.25 pumpkin. But, I got it fired up, and went for a drive. I was instantly sold on the 2.75. 55 MPH is *almost* too slow for OD, particularly uphill. But, 55 MPH zones are rather rare around here.

The true final drive comes out as 2.0075:1

Smaller displacement engines need to compensate somehow, either thru extra fuel/air, or more RPM. Most people tend to do both. This hurts the MPG potential.

I feel I have both good MPG, and more than enough power. That's a combo rarely seen in the real world. I'm sure the MPG would not be anywhere near as good if I drove it harder, but very little throttle is needed to propel the truck up to speed at a rate as good as, or even better than, most other vehicles around me. But, should I get behind an idiot, I have no problem squeezing the pedal a bit more, and leaving them in a cloud of smoke....

Just a small, but necessary mod today. I picked up a Brick/Aeronose wiper motor harness from the junkyard this morning. Luckily for me, the terminals are the same 1980-1996, so all I had to do was pull the pins from both connectors, and put my 86 harness pins in the newer connectors. Only soldering I had to do was for the two ground wires.

Thanks Jim for the 87 EVTM pages, they helped big time. :nabble_smiley_good:

Small steps are still progress Shaun, and Progress is Good! :nabble_smiley_good:

Glad to know I've made some contribution to the forum. (apologies for the formatting)

It sounds like your harness is coming together.

Keep chipping away -or peeling those onions- and you'll have it done soon enough.

Small steps are still progress Shaun, and Progress is Good! :nabble_smiley_good:

Glad to know I've made some contribution to the forum. (apologies for the formatting)

It sounds like your harness is coming together.

Keep chipping away -or peeling those onions- and you'll have it done soon enough.

In the nature of the thread title, I'm currently washing my truck while sitting here drinking coffee and reading the forum. It's raining....