Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

A couple of Jamborees earlier, we had taken a group from our troop up for a visit, the Scoutmaster, Hansel (Doc) Price and I were walking through the merit badge midway and came up to a group of foreign scout leaders, who stopped and spoke with us commenting on our 50 year strips and low (15) unit number. They shook our hands and we went our respective ways. Later there was coverage of the king of Sweden visiting our jamboree, imagine our surprise when we saw his picture, I imagine the group with him, all in Swedish boy scout uniforms were probably his security detail.

Wow, how about that??

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A couple of Jamborees earlier, we had taken a group from our troop up for a visit, the Scoutmaster, Hansel (Doc) Price and I were walking through the merit badge midway and came up to a group of foreign scout leaders, who stopped and spoke with us commenting on our 50 year strips and low (15) unit number. They shook our hands and we went our respective ways. Later there was coverage of the king of Sweden visiting our jamboree, imagine our surprise when we saw his picture, I imagine the group with him, all in Swedish boy scout uniforms were probably his security detail.

Wow, how about that??

Granted it isn't a Bullnose, but the question isn't WHYDTYBT? It is WHYDTYTT. I drove it ~200 miles to bring a Chevy home.

For the first 100 miles the LoM said we got 15.4 MPG. But that's usually off by 7% so we probably got 14.3 MPG towing the ~3000# car hauler at 70 MPH.

Coming home with the ~4000# '65 Malibu on the trailer we probably got 11.0 MPG at 70 MPH. (I did a bunch of math to get to that, but haven't filled up yet.) That's interesting because Big Blue got maybe 11.5 MPG running 65 MPH w/o a trailer with the old engine and the T-19.

Trust me, I like BB, but there's something to be said for technology. Blue pulled that trailer with no muss, no fuss, and the passengers rode in an excellent environment and significantly-enhanced safety.

Pulling_Rogers_Malibu_-_1.jpg.3457159213e210e94b2ff6271f4ede90.jpg

Granted it isn't a Bullnose, but the question isn't WHYDTYBT? It is WHYDTYTT. I drove it ~200 miles to bring a Chevy home.

For the first 100 miles the LoM said we got 15.4 MPG. But that's usually off by 7% so we probably got 14.3 MPG towing the ~3000# car hauler at 70 MPH.

Coming home with the ~4000# '65 Malibu on the trailer we probably got 11.0 MPG at 70 MPH. (I did a bunch of math to get to that, but haven't filled up yet.) That's interesting because Big Blue got maybe 11.5 MPG running 65 MPH w/o a trailer with the old engine and the T-19.

Trust me, I like BB, but there's something to be said for technology. Blue pulled that trailer with no muss, no fuss, and the passengers rode in an excellent environment and significantly-enhanced safety.

I will be very surprised if that Malibu weighs 4000#, I almost bought a 64 Chevelle, after the test drive in that and a 62 Valiant I went back and told dad I would take over the payments on the Falcon. The Chevelle was like riding in a tin can.

I will be very surprised if that Malibu weighs 4000#, I almost bought a 64 Chevelle, after the test drive in that and a 62 Valiant I went back and told dad I would take over the payments on the Falcon. The Chevelle was like riding in a tin can.

You are right, Bill. I Google search turned up 2900 as the weight. However, that was with the base 6 cyl and this thing has the 396, so it'll top 3000 by a bit.

You are right, Bill. I Google search turned up 2900 as the weight. However, that was with the base 6 cyl and this thing has the 396, so it'll top 3000 by a bit.

Not really work on the truck, more like research on the truck. From everything else I can find, Bill is right, the speed density computer can handle the GT40 heads, it sounds like the biggest issue is usually cams. So I think I'm going to run with a reman '96 Explorer block and bolt on all the '86 accessories, manifolds, etc. At some point in the future if I want to upgrade further, I'll swap over to MAF. But I'll think this will do the trick for now.

Not really work on the truck, more like research on the truck. From everything else I can find, Bill is right, the speed density computer can handle the GT40 heads, it sounds like the biggest issue is usually cams. So I think I'm going to run with a reman '96 Explorer block and bolt on all the '86 accessories, manifolds, etc. At some point in the future if I want to upgrade further, I'll swap over to MAF. But I'll think this will do the trick for now.

Sounds like a plan, Stan. :nabble_smiley_good:

Now the question, which 396? 325/360 or 375/425? The dual ratings were Chevy's way around the edicts from GM's management on the intermediate bodies. Pontiac already had the GTO with the 389 ci engine, Olds started the 442 as 4 barrels, 4 speed and dual exhaust, in 65 it became 400 ci, 4 speed and dual exhaust, Buick had the 400 (actually 401) nailhead in the Skylark Gran Sport. GM's management said no more than 400 ci, and limited them to the 2 speed autos, either Powerglides or TH300s. Buick and Olds got the switch pitch stators, Pontiac and obviously Chevy did not.

If it is the lower rated engine it will have oval intake ports and a Quadrajet, if it is the higher rated engine it will have rectangular intake ports and OEM was a Holley R-3310, 780 cfm carb.

Now the question, which 396? 325/360 or 375/425? The dual ratings were Chevy's way around the edicts from GM's management on the intermediate bodies. Pontiac already had the GTO with the 389 ci engine, Olds started the 442 as 4 barrels, 4 speed and dual exhaust, in 65 it became 400 ci, 4 speed and dual exhaust, Buick had the 400 (actually 401) nailhead in the Skylark Gran Sport. GM's management said no more than 400 ci, and limited them to the 2 speed autos, either Powerglides or TH300s. Buick and Olds got the switch pitch stators, Pontiac and obviously Chevy did not.

If it is the lower rated engine it will have oval intake ports and a Quadrajet, if it is the higher rated engine it will have rectangular intake ports and OEM was a Holley R-3310, 780 cfm carb.

Bill - He said it was 360 HP, but I didn't pop the hood and don't know what carb it has. He's not sure what he wants to do with the engine, but it will surely be rebuilt, and they'll obviously have to figure out what heads it has in order to figure out the compression ratio.

This one has a manual tranny and 12-bolt behind it. Was originally an SS w/a 327, so I'm guessing he just used that tranny.

Bill - He said it was 360 HP, but I didn't pop the hood and don't know what carb it has. He's not sure what he wants to do with the engine, but it will surely be rebuilt, and they'll obviously have to figure out what heads it has in order to figure out the compression ratio.

This one has a manual tranny and 12-bolt behind it. Was originally an SS w/a 327, so I'm guessing he just used that tranny.

Today was a fun filled day of truck-related activities:

This morning I put Dominic to work changing the oil for me. He did great, no leaks, plus he gets a merit badge item checked off for Scouts:

IMG_0763.jpg.7165a5c8d5122138134275abfcc52a02.jpg

He also checked all the tires for me and put air in them - the spare was still at the proper 35psi, but the four on the ground were all around 30 each - hopefully I'll see a slight bump in my MPG heading to Oklahoma. He's done tires before, but now he knows how to use the air compressor as well - and yes, another checkoff for Scouts.

Got the official grandma seal of approval for the work I've done on the truck. She hasn't seen it since I started the last round of work in June, and was quite pleased with how the new seat and floor looked. She also quizzed me thoroughly on this truck show business, wanting to know if I'm certain this Gary fellow (if that's really his name...) is on the up and up, etc etc etc. She finally agreed that it all sounds pretty good, and now I'm under orders to take plenty of pictures of the show, since everyone there obviously has excellent taste in trucks. :nabble_smiley_good:

Today was a fun filled day of truck-related activities:

This morning I put Dominic to work changing the oil for me. He did great, no leaks, plus he gets a merit badge item checked off for Scouts:

He also checked all the tires for me and put air in them - the spare was still at the proper 35psi, but the four on the ground were all around 30 each - hopefully I'll see a slight bump in my MPG heading to Oklahoma. He's done tires before, but now he knows how to use the air compressor as well - and yes, another checkoff for Scouts.

Got the official grandma seal of approval for the work I've done on the truck. She hasn't seen it since I started the last round of work in June, and was quite pleased with how the new seat and floor looked. She also quizzed me thoroughly on this truck show business, wanting to know if I'm certain this Gary fellow (if that's really his name...) is on the up and up, etc etc etc. She finally agreed that it all sounds pretty good, and now I'm under orders to take plenty of pictures of the show, since everyone there obviously has excellent taste in trucks. :nabble_smiley_good:

:nabble_smiley_good::nabble_smiley_good: