Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

They should really evacuate, I heard Oklahoma is nice this week. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Only a slight chance of either earthquakes or tornadoes.

Yes, but they tend to be very precise problems, meaning a tornado devastates a town or a neighborhood. Ditto an earthquake, at least here. But hurricanes tend to devastate a whole region if not a state.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, but they tend to be very precise problems, meaning a tornado devastates a town or a neighborhood. Ditto an earthquake, at least here. But hurricanes tend to devastate a whole region if not a state.

Dorian is almost as big as the state of Florida.

Why live in a place that is prone to Hurricanes? Because everywhere else is prone to Blizzards, Tornadoes, Earthquakes, Dust Storms, Severe Heat, or Extreme Cold. :nabble_smiley_argh:

Yes, there should be bolts. Without them it is going to really shake.

You would think so, but I haven't noticed any problems with shaking so far.

At any rate, when I get a chance I'll clean those bolt holes out (there haven't been bolts in there for a LONG time)and then determine whether or not I need a spacer for that hole on the left.

Chalk it up to the perfect primary balance of an inline six. :nabble_smiley_cool:

Chalk it up to the perfect primary balance of an inline six. :nabble_smiley_cool:

Removed the non-functional rear tank on Frankenstein. Used a torch and Kroil on the nuts and 3 of 4 came out OK. The fourth one was so rusted that the impact spun on it so I just cut the brace. it was almost rusted through anyway.

Removed the non-functional rear tank on Frankenstein. Used a torch and Kroil on the nuts and 3 of 4 came out OK. The fourth one was so rusted that the impact spun on it so I just cut the brace. it was almost rusted through anyway.

Jim - If the six is so well balanced then why do the carbs work loose? :nabble_anim_confused:

Whisler - I removed the non-functional rear tank on Big Blue quite some time ago. But that sure limits travel when you have a thirsty 460. Do you plan to replace it?

Jim - If the six is so well balanced then why do the carbs work loose? :nabble_anim_confused:

Whisler - I removed the non-functional rear tank on Big Blue quite some time ago. But that sure limits travel when you have a thirsty 460. Do you plan to replace it?

Because of the harmonics. Rolls-Royce used an elaborate liquid balancer to try to get their in-line 6s as smooth as American in-line 8s and V12/16 engines. Most American 6s were balanced to run smoothly at lower rpm and the redline was below the destructive harmonics (funny story on that, Ford's 226 ci L-head was raced at Indy by Andy Granatelli in the late 40s, he was told it went into destructive harmonics at 4600 rpm, his solution, just buzz it past and keep it high). European manufacturers like Mercedes-Benz put the harmonic frequency down low, my 1961 220Sb, shook like crazy around 1800-1900 rpm, which would have been lugging it, get it up over that, it was nice and smooth. When I put a 220SEb engine in it, still had the same vibration at 1800-1900 rpm, that is where M-B put it, redline was 6200 rpm.

Because of the harmonics. Rolls-Royce used an elaborate liquid balancer to try to get their in-line 6s as smooth as American in-line 8s and V12/16 engines. Most American 6s were balanced to run smoothly at lower rpm and the redline was below the destructive harmonics (funny story on that, Ford's 226 ci L-head was raced at Indy by Andy Granatelli in the late 40s, he was told it went into destructive harmonics at 4600 rpm, his solution, just buzz it past and keep it high). European manufacturers like Mercedes-Benz put the harmonic frequency down low, my 1961 220Sb, shook like crazy around 1800-1900 rpm, which would have been lugging it, get it up over that, it was nice and smooth. When I put a 220SEb engine in it, still had the same vibration at 1800-1900 rpm, that is where M-B put it, redline was 6200 rpm.

It's been quite a while since I worked the math on it, but in-line sixes (and V-12s) are the engine designs that don't have a harmonic imbalance. So they are very smooth runners and don't need a harmonic balancer like a V-8 does. I don't know anything about Rolls Royce engines...

It's been quite a while since I worked the math on it, but in-line sixes (and V-12s) are the engine designs that don't have a harmonic imbalance. So they are very smooth runners and don't need a harmonic balancer like a V-8 does. I don't know anything about Rolls Royce engines...

I got started in the tear down of Ole' Blue today. Plan to pull the motor and redo/confirm the leak down test results. At the very least, the motor will get a reseal, at the worst it will get a rebuilt long block.IMG_20190831_200939.thumb.jpg.8dbf12709062c3574f54947f2723dfc7.jpg

I got started in the tear down of Ole' Blue today. Plan to pull the motor and redo/confirm the leak down test results. At the very least, the motor will get a reseal, at the worst it will get a rebuilt long block.IMG_20190831_200939.jpg

Got a little more done today. The wife is out of town so I have the little one....

Driveshaft is out. Exhaust disconnected minus the egr tubing. All fluid drained except power steering. Making progress.

Got a little more done today. The wife is out of town so I have the little one....

Driveshaft is out. Exhaust disconnected minus the egr tubing. All fluid drained except power steering. Making progress.

That's good progress, especially if you have a "little one". How little?