Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Damn, bummer. Maybe you can use the pistons for more compression on the carbureted block.

The idea was to have a complete engine to swap in.

THAT I could probably do in a weekend.

32k, I'm sure the pistons are stock.

My engine is a reman from Promar in New Jersey, so I'm sure it's been bored at least 0.030 over.

Guess I just have to find a good '88-'92 short block, or any D9TE, and order an Engine Master kit for early efi.

The complete kit is under $300. (pistons, rings, bearings *any size under or over* + gaskets & seals, timing set, freeze plugs, cam & lifters)

I will order a cam from Scott once I get to porting the heads that will be here by Friday.

Well, that’s a pain but not quite so bad. Hope the heads are good when you get them.

The heads should be good.

They're just covered in dust and a little surface rust.

If I'm going to port everything will be ground or polished anyhow.

Block and manifold faces can be lapped on a surface plate or even just gone over with some crocus cloth wrapped around glass or stone like a sanding block.

The heads should be good.

They're just covered in dust and a little surface rust.

If I'm going to port everything will be ground or polished anyhow.

Block and manifold faces can be lapped on a surface plate or even just gone over with some crocus cloth wrapped around glass or stone like a sanding block.

I hope you’ll start a thread to show how you do that. 👍

I hope you’ll start a thread to show how you do that. 👍

I'll be sure to!

So far all I have is a bigger carb and some cheap porting supplies.

Once I have the heads I'll take some 'before' pics and start the saga.

I have never fully ported a set of iron heads. *I know a V-8 will be tedious, loud, and dirty*

Lots of two strokes (from 30cc chainsaws to 750 triples) and some aluminum four cylinder 4 strokes, before the auto makers figured out how to get real power out of them.

For now I'm happy to have a PAIR of heads already done, to my door, for $288.

The machine shop would have cost way more than that just to tank, crack check, guides, valve job, new springs, and assemble them (probably *more* than that, for only one)

I'll be sure to!

I have never fully ported a set of iron heads. *I know a V-8 will be tedious, loud, and dirty*

Lots of two strokes (from 30cc chainsaws to 750 triples) and some aluminum four cylinder 4 strokes, before the auto makers figured out how to get real power out of them.

The machine shop would have cost way more than that just to tank, crack check, guides, valve job, new springs, and assemble them (probably *more* than that, for only one)

750 3-cylinder? I've ridden one of those. 😉

I'll be sure to!

Biggest thing will be the get the air pump "bumps" out of the exhaust ports. You will find there are six active and two dummys (where the crossover passage runs). They seriously obstruct the exhaust flow and if you have to have them for emission inspection they will still work fine.

Biggest thing will be the get the air pump "bumps" out of the exhaust ports. You will find there are six active and two dummys (where the crossover passage runs). They seriously obstruct the exhaust flow and if you have to have them for emission inspection they will still work fine.

I'm a paid member on Scott's site.

I see what needs done, and am glad for his warnings about where NOT to go..

Afa wdydtytt, I did spend a little time fitting my stubstack to the new carb.

750's must have a little taller choke horn than 5 & 600's.

Gary, yes the kawi 'H' bikes are evil bitches if chambered and ported when they come on the pipe.