Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Not really anything I did, but the timing cover gasket to the block decided to let loose today. It has had a slow leak, but it's officially done. Going to get it into my Dad's shop sometime this week, warm it up enough to do a leak down and if all cylinders are in decent shape, I'll pull the motor and do a full external reseal including intake manifold, timing cover, oil pan, etc. Will plan to replace the timing chain and rear main while I'm in there. This should be fun! :nabble_smiley_teeth:

Not really anything I did, but the timing cover gasket to the block decided to let loose today. It has had a slow leak, but it's officially done. Going to get it into my Dad's shop sometime this week, warm it up enough to do a leak down and if all cylinders are in decent shape, I'll pull the motor and do a full external reseal including intake manifold, timing cover, oil pan, etc. Will plan to replace the timing chain and rear main while I'm in there. This should be fun! :nabble_smiley_teeth:

That was essentially my plan for Big Blue's 460. I knew the front main was spewing oil and the intake manifold's seal to the rear China wall is bad.

So I pulled it and did the leak-down test and my plans went by the wayside. :nabble_smiley_cry:

That was essentially my plan for Big Blue's 460. I knew the front main was spewing oil and the intake manifold's seal to the rear China wall is bad.

So I pulled it and did the leak-down test and my plans went by the wayside. :nabble_smiley_cry:

I started it this evening. Might not sound like much, but I hadn't had it fired up for more three weeks, as it's just been too dern hot around here.

Even after sitting that long, it lit off in under 2 seconds. Not bad for 30 year old diesel engine...… With a single battery.

I simply have to get around to building the under-hood portion on the A/C. Can't just walk into a parts store and ask for a/c parts for an old truck with dealer added a/c, and an owner installed cummins. Well, not without getting the ol' deer in the headlights look......

I started it this evening. Might not sound like much, but I hadn't had it fired up for more three weeks, as it's just been too dern hot around here.

Even after sitting that long, it lit off in under 2 seconds. Not bad for 30 year old diesel engine...… With a single battery.

I simply have to get around to building the under-hood portion on the A/C. Can't just walk into a parts store and ask for a/c parts for an old truck with dealer added a/c, and an owner installed cummins. Well, not without getting the ol' deer in the headlights look......

Tomorrow will be cooler, Paul. But dealer added A/C is going to make things difficult. However, A/C season is almost over, so you'll be able to drive it this winter - if the heater only worked. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Tomorrow will be cooler, Paul. But dealer added A/C is going to make things difficult. However, A/C season is almost over, so you'll be able to drive it this winter - if the heater only worked. :nabble_smiley_wink:

The heater actually works great, once I've driven the 10 or so miles down the highway needed to get the thermostat to open. That, of course, also means the block heater had been running all night...…

The block heater does prevent having to scrape off frost on those cool-ish mornings, so that's a nice feature.

The heater actually works great, once I've driven the 10 or so miles down the highway needed to get the thermostat to open. That, of course, also means the block heater had been running all night...…

The block heater does prevent having to scrape off frost on those cool-ish mornings, so that's a nice feature.

Good to see you, Paul! :nabble_waving_orig:

I was going to say that you shouldn't have to wait for the thermostat to open, but then I saw your sig and realized how little I know about Fummins. :nabble_smiley_blush:

I hear there's going to be a show and swap meet in about a months time.

Maybe you can turn up an AC plenum there?

People should be coming from all over, and some of them are "collectors", like Gary. :nabble_smiley_wink:

You do know we have a WTB thread going as well, right?

Yes, I remember you said that the engine is slow to warm up. But didn't know you have a block heater. That's cool! Or, maybe warm?

And Jim's right, there is the swap meet. But you said you have dealer air, right? I have some factory air stuff, but nothing for dealer air installs.

Good to see you, Paul! :nabble_waving_orig:

I was going to say that you shouldn't have to wait for the thermostat to open, but then I saw your sig and realized how little I know about Fummins. :nabble_smiley_blush:

I hear there's going to be a show and swap meet in about a months time.

Maybe you can turn up an AC plenum there?

People should be coming from all over, and some of them are "collectors", like Gary. :nabble_smiley_wink:

You do know we have a WTB thread going as well, right?

I haven't actually done it yet so maybe I'm jumping the gun a bit, but these arrived today:

IMG_0616.jpg.0787571bc235a2c6eaefa693cc31de22.jpg

Together with replacing the valve cover and pushrod cover gaskets, replacing the valve stem seals will be the final significant maintenance activity prior to hitting the road to Skiatook.

I haven't actually done it yet so maybe I'm jumping the gun a bit, but these arrived today:

Together with replacing the valve cover and pushrod cover gaskets, replacing the valve stem seals will be the final significant maintenance activity prior to hitting the road to Skiatook.

And you have plenty of time to do it. I think your truck is going to be ready long before the time comes.

:nabble_smiley_good:

Is the spring compressor tool on order?

And you have plenty of time to do it. I think your truck is going to be ready long before the time comes.

I think so as well. I still have oil and coolant to change, but that’s trivial. My biggest problem will be resisting the urge to futz with something else.

Nope! It’s sitting on my workbench next to the valve holder tool, waiting for it’s moment of glory. :nabble_smiley_good: