Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Nice!

Now that I've made it safely back from the test drive, I will agree and say "thanks!" :nabble_smiley_happy: It started right up, drove well...no problems. It was driving fine before, so rebuilding the carb was mostly for peace of mind.

I've also realized that the cleaned and painted air cleaner and oil fill cap really highlight just how gross the rest of the engine room is. I'm going to have to give some real thought to a cleanup program:

IMG_0480.jpg.14a424bfb98d70164aeca42e81ef8fe4.jpg

Nice!

Now that I've made it safely back from the test drive, I will agree and say "thanks!" :nabble_smiley_happy: It started right up, drove well...no problems. It was driving fine before, so rebuilding the carb was mostly for peace of mind.

I've also realized that the cleaned and painted air cleaner and oil fill cap really highlight just how gross the rest of the engine room is. I'm going to have to give some real thought to a cleanup program:

Congrat's on the successful carb rebuild. :nabble_smiley_good:

As for the engine compartment, one piece at a time.

Nice!

“I've also realized that the cleaned and painted air cleaner and oil fill cap really highlight just how gross the rest of the engine room is. I'm going to have to give some real thought to a cleanup program:”

Now you’ve done it! :nabble_smiley_scared:

“I've also realized that the cleaned and painted air cleaner and oil fill cap really highlight just how gross the rest of the engine room is. I'm going to have to give some real thought to a cleanup program:”

Now you’ve done it! :nabble_smiley_scared:

I get this from customers. 😖

"Oh, no. We only want you to do these two walls"

.....................The next week.

"Now the rest of our house looks like :nabble_poo-23_orig:"

Well, you understand, I only scheduled 5 days, and I have something else.

I asked you about this... :nabble_head-slap-23_orig:

Ill have to put you down for October 20th, charge another setup, dumpster, etc.

Nice!

Matthew, your hood seal looks a little long in the tooth..

Think how nice it would look with a blue valve cover! :nabble_smiley_wink:

Not a sight you'll often see in Europe. :nabble_anim_handshake:

We took my buddies car to the paintshop today. My old truck had to pull the 2.5 tons for a few miles and he did well.

Best regards from Germany

:nabble_smiley_cool:

I picked some easy tasks for Friday night...

Grease U-Joints and all front end fittings (8 of them , I think?).

Adjust front wheel bearings.

Adjust drum brakes.

Check and top-up diff fluid.

Something I noticed...that I hadn't noticed previously, is that my 8.8 open rear diff has some axle end-play. Enough that if you pull out on the wheels, you can feel/hear a little "clunk". Question is, how much is normal? I looked through my FSM and didn't see an end-play tolerance spec.

90% of what Dr. Google shows regarding the 8.8 is Foxbody Mustang stuff...

I read where some guys said that the end play is indicative of the cross-pin being worn. I already know that I have some slop in the spider gears...maybe it's time for a kit?

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/mgr-f88bi/overview/

This is a low mile rear end...truck still only has 40k miles on it. Rear diff is quiet, and there are no leaks.

Any comments, good or bad?

I picked some easy tasks for Friday night...

Grease U-Joints and all front end fittings (8 of them , I think?).

Adjust front wheel bearings.

Adjust drum brakes.

Check and top-up diff fluid.

Something I noticed...that I hadn't noticed previously, is that my 8.8 open rear diff has some axle end-play. Enough that if you pull out on the wheels, you can feel/hear a little "clunk". Question is, how much is normal? I looked through my FSM and didn't see an end-play tolerance spec.

90% of what Dr. Google shows regarding the 8.8 is Foxbody Mustang stuff...

I read where some guys said that the end play is indicative of the cross-pin being worn. I already know that I have some slop in the spider gears...maybe it's time for a kit?

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/mgr-f88bi/overview/

This is a low mile rear end...truck still only has 40k miles on it. Rear diff is quiet, and there are no leaks.

Any comments, good or bad?

Sorry, don't know about 8.8's.

My plan is to replace windshield linkage bushings and blades. (Matthew, are you watching?)

I'm also going to put a few stainless bolts in the engine bay.

Fan shroud, radiator mounts (different than a bullnose) starter adjuster, just things that didn't come in the engine kit and aren't high strength, where steel is needed.

I may empty the bed and get after the debris that collects around the job boxes in a truck that is always working.

I only have enough screwdrivers to work on my trucks and the house. You guys have enough screwdrivers to disassemble either a nuclear warhead, or the world's smallest pair of glasses.

As for old age, my experience working in a largely geriatric hospital has changed my viewpoint on growing old. My paternal grandfather suffered a series of strokes before he passed away. With each one his functioning became worse, to the point where he couldn't work or get on his tractors anymore. That is what ended up killing him. Not being able to do what he love shut that tough old man down and he passed away a few days later. My grandpa and I are very alike, and I no doubt will feel the same way if that time comes. I'm way too independent minded to have somebody take care of me.

For the people having 'stuff' to say about my small box, and its organization....

THIS is my pliers drawer laid out all neat.

IMG_20190803_065730.jpg.44b0d9f5b4e50a3c21aa9476028f9aef.jpg

There a few that don't fit, like the "Big Azz" Channellocks, bolt cutters, forging tongs.....

Anyway, I have what I need. http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/waving_orig.gif

For the people having 'stuff' to say about my small box, and its organization....

THIS is my pliers drawer laid out all neat.

There a few that don't fit, like the "Big Azz" Channellocks, bolt cutters, forging tongs.....

Anyway, I have what I need. :nabble_waving_orig:

I keep my pliers drawer pretty neat...

IMG_8211.jpg.8f546f9b2037cbd2aba7133f3cbf1bc2.jpg

Everything has it's place, and I keep it that way. I'd like a little more space sometimes, but having a small space forces one to minimize and keep things neat and tidy.:nabble_smiley_happy:

Still rockin' my Craftsman socket set purchased back in 1995. Metric on the left, standard on the right. Man they are great tools.

IMG_8209.jpg.aa3532162608549db1a7f2b7c3e3348e.jpg

And, as fussy as I am with organizing the tools, I'm not so fussy about matching colors and whatnot...lol. The top box is 25 years old, but the bottom is maybe only 5.

IMG_8210.jpg.bfa2d4a7252ebfbf3731b82a550004ca.jpg