Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Here you go Cory. :nabble_anim_blbl:

***hand drivers?***

1,2and 3, plus a stubby #2

Struck out at the junkyard, none of the hoods were in useable shape.

Not wanting to go home empty handed, I decided to head to NPD to bring home a few things I needed. While there I decided to make an impulse buy based off of a listing in their catalog. They list two 80-81 grilles that are black in color, one "original" and one repro. The price difference is less than $5, one being $46 and the other $50. I decided to bring the "original" one home since I'm not willing to pay more than that for something that is well used and deteriorated like the ones on Ebay.

I am very confused by what they refer to as "original". This grille is far from an original OEM grille. In fact, it's not even close to OE standards. For the price point, I figured that would be the case. It fits, it looks okay from the front, but the back of the grille leaves ALOT to be desired. I couldn't find any "original" engineering numbers anywhere on the grille, however E0TZ-8150-C was stamped in a few places on the bag the grille came in. It's my assumption that by original, they mean original aftermarket. So if you're looking for an 80-81 grille, buy the gray one from Dennis Carpenter.

I'm not sure that I'm 100% sold on the black, but it may be the fact that my truck is two different colors. That and my bumper is black, which is probably throwing me off as well. I'll re-evaluate the color once I sort out the bumper. Worst comes to worse I'll just paint the raised edges silver and leave the rest black.

Struck out at the junkyard, none of the hoods were in useable shape.

Not wanting to go home empty handed, I decided to head to NPD to bring home a few things I needed. While there I decided to make an impulse buy based off of a listing in their catalog. They list two 80-81 grilles that are black in color, one "original" and one repro. The price difference is less than $5, one being $46 and the other $50. I decided to bring the "original" one home since I'm not willing to pay more than that for something that is well used and deteriorated like the ones on Ebay.

I am very confused by what they refer to as "original". This grille is far from an original OEM grille. In fact, it's not even close to OE standards. For the price point, I figured that would be the case. It fits, it looks okay from the front, but the back of the grille leaves ALOT to be desired. I couldn't find any "original" engineering numbers anywhere on the grille, however E0TZ-8150-C was stamped in a few places on the bag the grille came in. It's my assumption that by original, they mean original aftermarket. So if you're looking for an 80-81 grille, buy the gray one from Dennis Carpenter.

I'm not sure that I'm 100% sold on the black, but it may be the fact that my truck is two different colors. That and my bumper is black, which is probably throwing me off as well. I'll re-evaluate the color once I sort out the bumper. Worst comes to worse I'll just paint the raised edges silver and leave the rest black.

I paid almost $200 a few years ago for a NOS chrome 80/81 grille, so $50 is CHEAP. (And the chrome grille is BEAUTIFUL!)

Speaking of that, I mentioned the lack of a chrome grille to the lady at the counter at LMC yesterday. She acknowledged that they don't have one, but has no power to fix the gap. So I hope to talk with the lady I spoke with on Monday some time next week re that awa the other issues raised in the LMC thread.

I paid almost $200 a few years ago for a NOS chrome 80/81 grille, so $50 is CHEAP. (And the chrome grille is BEAUTIFUL!)

Speaking of that, I mentioned the lack of a chrome grille to the lady at the counter at LMC yesterday. She acknowledged that they don't have one, but has no power to fix the gap. So I hope to talk with the lady I spoke with on Monday some time next week re that awa the other issues raised in the LMC thread.

After looking at the less than ideal job they did at forming this grille, I can understand why they don't offer a chrome version. There's just too many places for a manufacturer to screw it up. I wouldn't be surprised if the grey version from DC is priced low to clear them out, and once they're gone, that's it.

Honestly feels like your only option for an 80-81 chrome grille is used or NOS, and most of the used ones I've seen barely have any chrome left. For me, I can't justify NOS on a work truck. So I'm gonna have to make this grille work.

It's 93 degrees with 52% humidity here. I've been outside working on both of my trucks and I'm probably on bottle of water number 8 at this point, and I've made about four trips to the hose to spray my arms and head. And this is considered a good weather day. :nabble_smiley_scared:

80F here today and 70% humidity. We call this "Air you can wear".

I know, I know...it would be a cool day for some of you...but this is hot for us.:nabble_smiley_grin:

It's 93 degrees with 52% humidity here. I've been outside working on both of my trucks and I'm probably on bottle of water number 8 at this point, and I've made about four trips to the hose to spray my arms and head. And this is considered a good weather day. :nabble_smiley_scared:

80F here today and 70% humidity. We call this "Air you can wear".

I know, I know...it would be a cool day for some of you...but this is hot for us.:nabble_smiley_grin:

Today was downright pleasant compared to the last two.

We have thunderstorms this afternoon, and that means cooler air behind it.

My truck is done.

I'll have to post pics later, as I have a 4:00..

"Built, not bought!" It's a meme these days.

I had to order one today for kicks since my truck will be mostly RE "Built" in a couple weeks. I'm already daydreaming about being a different kind of Bullnose enthusiast!! Instead of laying on my back under the truck drilling out bolts with hot filings falling on my arms and rust falling into my eyes, I can peruse catalogs for little plastic interior trinkets and spend my time on waxing and polishing!!

built.jpg.a9868e4d83409b964ef1c6cc9fc4b54e.jpg

WTF am I kidding?>...

My new fuel gauge is already not working...lol.

The term is 'farkleing'

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=farkle

Please don't get *stick on J.C. Whitney "chrome". :nabble_face-with-open-mouth-vomiting-23x23_orig:

No no...not those kinds of trinkets...I mean things I'd like to find better condition replacements for, like interior trim pieces, etc.

Farkle...now there's a term I haven't heard in a while. It was so over-used at one point it was annoying...lol. Interesting that the write up on Urban Dictionary attributes it to a with an ST1300 rally. I always blamed it on the V-Strom crowd!!

The term is 'farkleing'

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=farkle

Please don't get *stick on J.C. Whitney "chrome". :nabble_face-with-open-mouth-vomiting-23x23_orig:

No no...not those kinds of trinkets...I mean things I'd like to find better condition replacements for, like interior trim pieces, etc.

Farkle...now there's a term I haven't heard in a while. It was so over-used at one point it was annoying...lol. Interesting that the write up on Urban Dictionary attributes it to a with an ST1300 rally. I always blamed it on the V-Strom crowd!!

I figured you would be the only one on here to get it. 😁

So, I had to go back and drop a link.

Wee Stromers, blame it on GS riders, in the end it's KLR's all the way down. :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig: