Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Replacing a clutch on a 4wd is tedious. But you should be able to do it w/o truly pulling the transmission or transfer case. A friend of mine and I did it this way on his truck:

1. Pull the seat and floor covering
  2. Remove the bolts holding the transmission cover to the floor. You may not have to pull the cover off the shift levers, so try it w/o taking the cover completely off and see if things will shift far enough to the rear in Step 8 w/o pulling the shift levers. If not, remove them
  3. Pull the front and rear drive shafts
  4. Disconnect the clutch linkage
  5. Disconnect the speedometer cable at the transfer case
  6. Unbolt the transmission from the cross member
  7. Support the front of the engine with a jack or jack stand under the harmonic balancer. (I think the engine will be nose-heavy, but watch and see.)
  8. Unbolt the transmission from the engine and slide the tranny & t-case back to access the clutch. You may want to get 4 long bolts to replace 4 of the transmission/engine bolts. Use them as guides to slide the tranny back on, ensuring it doesn't go too far and that everything lines up when it is time to go back together.

Hope that helps. As said, it can be tedious.

I usually take both sticks off so I can slide the gearbox/TC assembly back far enough to get wedged up on the transmission cross member.ANY extra room is helpful in getting the pilot bearing out of the crank.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I usually take both sticks off so I can slide the gearbox/TC assembly back far enough to get wedged up on the transmission cross member.

ANY extra room is helpful in getting the pilot bearing out of the crank.

Good point, Jim. That pilot bearing can be a bear to get out.

Good point, Jim. That pilot bearing can be a bear to get out.

Well my brass pump assembly came yesterday.

IMG_20190604_132506.jpg.88a709f099ecbddb4bff613b737c3cfc.jpg

So I managed to get it installed

IMG_20190604_140346.jpg.5d6f679ddd4b1b5a70b96b4117f39919.jpg

Of course... at the last step the TINY hairspring clip launched itself to infinity and beyond.

So I got to dig out the safety wire.

IMG_20190604_140403.jpg.cee3192f230d71063a547ffc979d011f.jpg

I think this roll is almost as old as I am.

IMG_20190604_140546.jpg.0219a39156f4b018f01bfa239784a82a.jpg

I don't know how old you are...but I'm turning 50 later this year and I've got a roll that has got to be close to my age. My dad gave it to me 30 years ago, and I know he'd had it forever by that point. I couldn't get him to give me his spinny twist pliers along with it, though. :nabble_smiley_unhappy:

I don't know how old you are...but I'm turning 50 later this year and I've got a roll that has got to be close to my age. My dad gave it to me 30 years ago, and I know he'd had it forever by that point. I couldn't get him to give me his spinny twist pliers along with it, though. :nabble_smiley_unhappy:

Going on 56 but I think this probably came from surplus.

I'm sure I've had it since I was racing my RD's in the late '70's

It's the small roll I kept in my pit box.

Going on 56 but I think this probably came from surplus.

I'm sure I've had it since I was racing my RD's in the late '70's

It's the small roll I kept in my pit box.

Infinity and beyond! Well said. I had the same spring do the same thing the other day. But I don't think it made it to infinity as it is somewhere in the shop.

Anyway, did the pump fit well? And how does the truck run?

Infinity and beyond! Well said. I had the same spring do the same thing the other day. But I don't think it made it to infinity as it is somewhere in the shop.

Anyway, did the pump fit well? And how does the truck run?

The pump fits fine.

I only drove to the lumber yard and back

It's nice to pull away without stumbling. :nabble_smiley_good:

If I find any issues with the part I'll be sure to report.

The pump fits fine.

I only drove to the lumber yard and back

It's nice to pull away without stumbling. :nabble_smiley_good:

If I find any issues with the part I'll be sure to report.

Jim - Glad it is working.

As for what I've done to my truck today, I'm just started but I gassed Big Blue up and am checking him over in prep for the 250 mile round trip to Anderson, MO for the FORDification show tomorrow.

Also hope to take some leaves out of the rear springs today, but that may be wishful thinking given the time, or lack thereof. We shall see.......

Anyway, BB has gotten into the shop for the first time in many months, and when we get back he'll come in for his "transformation". :nabble_smiley_whistling:

Getting_Ready_For_Anderson_2019.thumb.jpg.fb1ea21528c9cc7764886789f520400e.jpg

Jim - Glad it is working.

As for what I've done to my truck today, I'm just started but I gassed Big Blue up and am checking him over in prep for the 250 mile round trip to Anderson, MO for the FORDification show tomorrow.

Also hope to take some leaves out of the rear springs today, but that may be wishful thinking given the time, or lack thereof. We shall see.......

Anyway, BB has gotten into the shop for the first time in many months, and when we get back he'll come in for his "transformation". :nabble_smiley_whistling:

..... Heart transplant.

and a double knee replacement.

Yes the pump is nice to have.

**** positive review on eBay so go ahead and get one (or two)

Could you please take some pictures of BB's cross member carnage while he's up on the lift?

Have a safe drive and fun at the FORDification show.

Enjoy your Birthday!

..... Heart transplant.

and a double knee replacement.

Yes the pump is nice to have.

**** positive review on eBay so go ahead and get one (or two)

Could you please take some pictures of BB's cross member carnage while he's up on the lift?

Have a safe drive and fun at the FORDification show.

Enjoy your Birthday!

Yes, heart and knee transplant awa maybe lungs?

I'll get some pics in a bit and post them on the transformation thread. And, I'll see if I can translate that into where the cuts are on the 95's cross member.

As for the pump, I'll get some. Thanks.