Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Today I did some work on my 86 wiring harness. Three main things had to be done.

-The 86 fuse box melted at some point. Luckily my new 1990 cab came with the dash harness, and the fuse box is identical. I switched out the fuse boxes, but I still have about five wires that need to be repaired since somebody cut them at some point for whatever reason. Luckily all of those wires were cut intact from the 90 harness, so I will splice them in with solder and heat shrink.

-The 90 dome/map/courtesy lamp harness uses a different plug than the 80-86 trucks. To make it harder, the terminals were also different, since the 86 harness had female terminals, and so did the courtesy lamp harness from the 90. I decided to run the 90 style connector on the 86 harness, and that required soldering in the proper male terminals to mate with the 86 harness. Quite an undertaking for one small harness but I tested the harness and it works great.

-The 80-86 cab clearance light connector is a single female terminal connector, with only the brown wire for power. By 1990 Ford went to a two male terminal setup, with a ground wire coming through the connector along with the power wire. Luckily I have some aftermarket replacement terminals for our trucks, and was able to find the proper male terminal for the 86 harness. It was just a matter of cutting off the old female terminal and then crimping on the male terminal and inserting it into the 90 connector.

I still need to do some research on why there's a ground in 87-96 but no ground for 80-86. Either way, since I upgraded the connector to the 90 style, I still have the ground wire that can easily be put into service if need be.

Once I solder up the five remaining wires on the fuse box, the main harness will be ready to go back into the truck, and then I can start work on the intermediate harness for the rear lights and fuel tank sending unit.

fords4life - I did call the guy I know in KS and he doesn't have an Flaresides, much less one with a non-step bumper. But he's going to call a few of the other salvages he is friends with to see if he can track some brackets down. And I'll call the other salvage tomorrow.

Shaun - By '95 Ford had added ground wires to everything. I've found several ground connections on the front clip I just got, like on the cab mounts. So the ground in the clearance light connection doesn't surprise me.

Anyway, you are making good progress, and the truck will have a better wiring system when you are done. :nabble_anim_claps:

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Shaun - By '95 Ford had added ground wires to everything. I've found several ground connections on the front clip I just got, like on the cab mounts. So the ground in the clearance light connection doesn't surprise me.

Anyway, you are making good progress, and the truck will have a better wiring system when you are done. :nabble_anim_claps:

What really got me is the reversal of the terminals. Completely unnecessary in my opinion, but Ford felt differently I guess.

People mention the differences between stuff like doors and dash mounting when using a Bricknose cab, but those things are only the tip of the iceberg. I love to challenge myself and this Bricknose to Bullnose swap is just the kind of challenge I like. But it takes a special kind of person to be willing to do this kind of work and it is definitely not for everybody.

fords4life - I did call the guy I know in KS and he doesn't have an Flaresides, much less one with a non-step bumper. But he's going to call a few of the other salvages he is friends with to see if he can track some brackets down. And I'll call the other salvage tomorrow.

Thanks Gary. I have a couple to call as well. Just have a hard time during the work day.

I do have a Styleside though. It is the same rear bumper as the bronco, but different brackets.

Thanks Gary. I have a couple to call as well. Just have a hard time during the work day.

I do have a Styleside though. It is the same rear bumper as the bronco, but different brackets.

Shaun - I think they hand off the changes to a new engineer, and in this case he didn't go back to look at the previous wiring. Instead, he did it the way he wanted it.

And you are right, it takes a "special" person to attempt one of those conversions. About the time it ought to start going together easily you run into all of the little differences that drive you up a wall!

fords4life - My apologies! I'll call back and start the search anew. :nabble_smiley_blush:

What really got me is the reversal of the terminals. Completely unnecessary in my opinion, but Ford felt differently I guess.

People mention the differences between stuff like doors and dash mounting when using a Bricknose cab, but those things are only the tip of the iceberg. I love to challenge myself and this Bricknose to Bullnose swap is just the kind of challenge I like. But it takes a special kind of person to be willing to do this kind of work and it is definitely not for everybody.

I fully agree. I kept the Bullnose cab on Darth, but switched the damaged fenders and hood for a Coffin nose partially to make my EFI conversion easier. Interior is now (mostly) from a late (1996) Aeronose as I preferred the later dash and connection system to the front and rear harnesses. I also prefer the engine harness connection to the front harness and the PDC so I only have the paired fusible links in the main feed wire (safety as it crosses the truck in front of the radiator). Grounds everywhere on the later wiring.

I fully agree. I kept the Bullnose cab on Darth, but switched the damaged fenders and hood for a Coffin nose partially to make my EFI conversion easier. Interior is now (mostly) from a late (1996) Aeronose as I preferred the later dash and connection system to the front and rear harnesses. I also prefer the engine harness connection to the front harness and the PDC so I only have the paired fusible links in the main feed wire (safety as it crosses the truck in front of the radiator). Grounds everywhere on the later wiring.

I'll have that wiring under the hood for both Big Blue and Dad's truck, but will have to remember to ground everything - especially given all the paint/powder coating.

Shaun - I think they hand off the changes to a new engineer, and in this case he didn't go back to look at the previous wiring. Instead, he did it the way he wanted it.

And you are right, it takes a "special" person to attempt one of those conversions. About the time it ought to start going together easily you run into all of the little differences that drive you up a wall!

fords4life - My apologies! I'll call back and start the search anew. :nabble_smiley_blush:

No worries Gary and thanks again!

fords4life - That was luck getting the trim off w/o breaking it. That plastic is brittle and easily broken. But bad luck on the brackets. I'll keep my eyes open. In fact I know a couple of salvages and will check them.

Jim - The accelerator pump bore on my AVS measures .808 - .810". And, The Carb Doctor says that carb takes pump #100, but when you click on that link you get "Sorry, no item found

Call 253-833-4106 for more information"

Hope that helps.

13/16" sounds right.

This is the item I've ordered

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F401463368739

Cool! Let me know how it works. I'll get one or two to have on hand.

Today (well, last night...) I ordered new seat vinyl from SMS Auto Fabrics, as well as new vinyl flooring from Stock Interiors. Having previously done the interior door panels as well as replaced the dash pad, the interior should be just about back to 1980 spec by the end of June.