Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Thanks for the info Gary. :nabble_smiley_cool:

The top black plastic bit with the hole for the S hook snapped clean off.

I also noticed my DS distributor cap adapter seems very loose.

So I guess a trip to the LAP is in order.

Performance shop out of business. :nabble_smiley_unhappy:

I went to Advance, and while they can order the pump in they have nothing in their system for a cap adapter.

Even tried to cross the NAPA # ech fa-151

So NAPA tomorrow and back to Advance whenever they call.

Beautiful day here in the NY area!

Welcome sign of late spring.

Many of the flowering shrubs are in bloom.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you for the offer Gary.

I'm going to try and find one locally, but none of the majors stock them.

There is (was?) a performance shop in Norwalk, so armed with the part# I'm going to give them a call tomorrow when they open.

Huge improvement Edelbrock made when they bought the rights from Carter, NOT! plastic on a part that sees side loading is dumb as a rock! Why do you think Carter made them out of brass. Maybe a kit for an AFB might have a complete metal plunger.

Huge improvement Edelbrock made when they bought the rights from Carter, NOT! plastic on a part that sees side loading is dumb as a rock! Why do you think Carter made them out of brass. Maybe a kit for an AFB might have a complete metal plunger.

The one I have on the shelf has a brass stem. But, it has a leather skirt on the piston, and that's well worn. I'm not sure if a plastic piston will fit on that stem.

The one thing I know is that any part listed as NOS or vintage is 5x what it should cost.

I'll try to find a better long term solution but for now I have the plastic part coming.

The one thing I know is that any part listed as NOS or vintage is 5x what it should cost.

I'll try to find a better long term solution but for now I have the plastic part coming.

So I found an eBay listing for a AFB pump with blue rubber seal and 'steel shaft' (although it looks brass)

Walker 64-499

Surprisingly it is less than the plastic Edelbrock part I already ordered.

I'll put it on my watch list and get to it later.

Thanks for the advice!

So I found an eBay listing for a AFB pump with blue rubber seal and 'steel shaft' (although it looks brass)

Walker 64-499

Surprisingly it is less than the plastic Edelbrock part I already ordered.

I'll put it on my watch list and get to it later.

Thanks for the advice!

Hope you get everything sorted quickly. And that pump might be good to put in just to ensure you don't break another plastic one.

Hope you get everything sorted quickly. And that pump might be good to put in just to ensure you don't break another plastic one.

It is a little disappointing that it completely failed in only a couple of years.

And it has been frustrating that I have to bump the truck or give it a shot of ether when it is stone cold.

Now I know, and thanks to Bill I know there is a better part available than genuine Edelbrock. :nabble_anim_handshake:

One of the things I've been seeing in my search is that there have been different diameters of pistons.

Maybe I should be looking for one specific to this generation AVS?

It is a little disappointing that it completely failed in only a couple of years.

And it has been frustrating that I have to bump the truck or give it a shot of ether when it is stone cold.

Now I know, and thanks to Bill I know there is a better part available than genuine Edelbrock. :nabble_anim_handshake:

One of the things I've been seeing in my search is that there have been different diameters of pistons.

Maybe I should be looking for one specific to this generation AVS?

Only two companies ever used an AVS as OEM, one was 1966 Chevrolet 327 300 HP, it was one of three different carburetors, one was a Holley R-2818 (don't even ask why that number just popped up) A Carter AFB and a Carter AVS. Most were 1968-72 Chrysler products (Gary has one, maybe the number from it would help). It was an alternative to a Holley that makes a 4180 look excellent, it was designed by Chrysler engineers to meet emission requirements and heat was not it's friend. Strange Chrysler only metering blocks, on some larger secondary throttles, secondary metering bodies that warped so bad you could see the gas boiling in the rear barrels.

It ranked right up there with first gen electronic ignition, air cleaner studs that would warp the air horns on the Carter BBD and Stromberg WWC carbs and the electronic retard modules. Now throw in a 7 ft plug wire to a plug in an almost impossible location, what could possibly go wrong?

..... Carter AVS....... It makes a 4180 look excellent, it was designed by Chrysler engineers to meet emission requirements and heat was not it's friend.....metering bodies that warped so bad you could see the gas boiling in the rear barrels, .....what could possibly go wrong?

So, perhaps a poor choice on my part. :nabble_smiley_hurt:

When I first considered replacing my 80457S Gary kinda sold me on Edelbrock, though I never had problems with any leaks and only had the pump diaphragm fail once on the 4180.

..... Carter AVS....... It makes a 4180 look excellent, it was designed by Chrysler engineers to meet emission requirements and heat was not it's friend.....metering bodies that warped so bad you could see the gas boiling in the rear barrels, .....what could possibly go wrong?

So, perhaps a poor choice on my part. :nabble_smiley_hurt:

When I first considered replacing my 80457S Gary kinda sold me on Edelbrock, though I never had problems with any leaks and only had the pump diaphragm fail once on the 4180.

I was talking about the Chrysler Holleys, I swapped Carter AVS on many of them and sold a ton to the local dealers.