Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

.... As for the use of the front hitch, Janey wouldn't be willing to drive the truck, but she'd walk outside to direct me....

It wasn't easy for me to talk Lesley into driving the truck. And there's no way she'd do it if it had a manual trans. But there were enough tight turns and she's not as used to how big vehicles move, so she wasn't comfortable (and I wasn't either) with having her guide with me being blind. She was the spotter for me to stick the trailer under the pontoon though.

Janey grew up driving a vehicle with a manual transmission, but hasn't done in decades. So she'd be hard to persuade to drive Big Blue. Especially since she doesn't like moving big vehicles, like a large trailer.

But, I LOVE the granny 1st on Big Blue so don't want an auto. Moving the trailer around is so easy - put it in 1st and 4Lo and come out on the clutch. You WILL move, but not very rapidly.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Janey grew up driving a vehicle with a manual transmission, but hasn't done in decades. So she'd be hard to persuade to drive Big Blue. Especially since she doesn't like moving big vehicles, like a large trailer.

But, I LOVE the granny 1st on Big Blue so don't want an auto. Moving the trailer around is so easy - put it in 1st and 4Lo and come out on the clutch. You WILL move, but not very rapidly.

Imagine what my truck was like with the deep 6.32:1 of the 460 4x4 T-19's first and 4:10's!

I think it would hit red line before it hit 7mph.

I'm not sure if there's a low range difference between Big Blue's 1345 and Li'l Red's 1356 but I could comfortably get out and walk alongside.

Relating to Bill's comment about levers.

To paraphrase: Give me enough traction and I can move the earth.

.... But, I LOVE the granny 1st on Big Blue so don't want an auto. Moving the trailer around is so easy - put it in 1st and 4Lo and come out on the clutch. You WILL move, but not very rapidly.

I'm not a big fan of automatics, but I couldn't find a manual when I was shopping for my truck. I spent 3 years looking for a 4WD '80 - '97 F-250 or F-350 crew cab with a gas engine and a manual trans that wasn't clapped out and was within abut 500 miles of me. When I opened the search up to automatics it only took another month.

But my favorite truck I've owned was my '85 F-250 RCLB with a 351 and an NP435, so yeas, I get granny gears! (although the auto in first gear with the tranny in low range is pretty good for creerping trailers around) My favorite low gear story was when I was at the NCAA Frozen Four in Detroit, parked in a parking ramp near the exit with a steady stream of cars behind me. My dad was with me and thought we'd never get a hole in traffic. I told him "no problem!" Looking in the mirrors (so people couldn't see that I was looking) I put it in reverse and dumped the clutch. The truck jumped back and immediately almost stopped. But no one behind me knew it would almost stop like that. With the 4WD F-250 tailgate almost filling their windshield, the first car sped up as much as possible to scoot past me while the one behind him slammed on his brakes. I carefully backed into the spot they left for me and headed out of the ramp!

Imagine what my truck was like with the deep 6.32:1 of the 460 4x4 T-19's first and 4:10's!

I think it would hit red line before it hit 7mph.

I'm not sure if there's a low range difference between Big Blue's 1345 and Li'l Red's 1356 but I could comfortably get out and walk alongside.

Relating to Bill's comment about levers.

To paraphrase: Give me enough traction and I can move the earth.

Our driveline calculator (Driveline/Calculators) says that Big Blue's BW1345 has a 2.74 1st while your 1356 has a 2.69 1st. And that Big Blue with 3.55's would hit 5000 RPM at 9 MPH and that Lil' Red would hit it at 8 MPH. But, that's with the 5.11 1st that I think the 7.5L T19's have. So if yours had the 6.32's then you'd have hit 5000 at 6 MPH. However, the ZF5 has a 5.72 1st, so it'll be even better than the T19.

As for walking beside the truck, I did with Big Blue. A couple of years ago we needed to take our old sign down at church, so I tied on and put BB in 1st and 4Lo. Took out the slack and got out with it idling. Asked the guys that were down by the sign if they needed any help. You should have seen the look on their faces. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Our driveline calculator (Driveline/Calculators) says that Big Blue's BW1345 has a 2.74 1st while your 1356 has a 2.69 1st. And that Big Blue with 3.55's would hit 5000 RPM at 9 MPH and that Lil' Red would hit it at 8 MPH. But, that's with the 5.11 1st that I think the 7.5L T19's have. So if yours had the 6.32's then you'd have hit 5000 at 6 MPH. However, the ZF5 has a 5.72 1st, so it'll be even better than the T19.

As for walking beside the truck, I did with Big Blue. A couple of years ago we needed to take our old sign down at church, so I tied on and put BB in 1st and 4Lo. Took out the slack and got out with it idling. Asked the guys that were down by the sign if they needed any help. You should have seen the look on their faces. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Check the page at Novak transmissions where they state the T-19 found in 460 4x4 250's came with the 6.32:1 gear.

Since that bell pattern and tail combo is specific to ONLY this truck, I think you have 6:32 as well.

Do the torque multiplication.

It's pretty crazy.

ETA:

"We learned that the 1983 to 1986 Ford T19's, as installed behind the 460 and diesel typically had the 4.02:1 first gear in a 2wd application, or a diesel 4wd application. However, 5.11 versions are reported also for these. The 460 4wd truck got the 6.32:1 first gear, purportedly from 1983 to 1986 F250's"

.... But, I LOVE the granny 1st on Big Blue so don't want an auto. Moving the trailer around is so easy - put it in 1st and 4Lo and come out on the clutch. You WILL move, but not very rapidly.

I'm not a big fan of automatics, but I couldn't find a manual when I was shopping for my truck. I spent 3 years looking for a 4WD '80 - '97 F-250 or F-350 crew cab with a gas engine and a manual trans that wasn't clapped out and was within abut 500 miles of me. When I opened the search up to automatics it only took another month.

But my favorite truck I've owned was my '85 F-250 RCLB with a 351 and an NP435, so yeas, I get granny gears! (although the auto in first gear with the tranny in low range is pretty good for creerping trailers around) My favorite low gear story was when I was at the NCAA Frozen Four in Detroit, parked in a parking ramp near the exit with a steady stream of cars behind me. My dad was with me and thought we'd never get a hole in traffic. I told him "no problem!" Looking in the mirrors (so people couldn't see that I was looking) I put it in reverse and dumped the clutch. The truck jumped back and immediately almost stopped. But no one behind me knew it would almost stop like that. With the 4WD F-250 tailgate almost filling their windshield, the first car sped up as much as possible to scoot past me while the one behind him slammed on his brakes. I carefully backed into the spot they left for me and headed out of the ramp!

That's funny! And the NP435 has an even better 1st at 6.69, so with an NP208 your truck would be doing 7 MPH at 5000 RPM - assuming 3.55's. And, as you said, it would appear to accelerate very rapidly, only to slow down immediately. That had to have been a shock. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I often wondered how the ZF5's 1st is going to be in Big Blue. The T19's 1st is just about right for starting a loaded trailer, so if it really is 5.11 and the ZF has 5.72 then it will top out slightly sooner. But looking at the calculator just now I find that there's not a lot of difference. The ZF will give me a bit more grunt down low, and it'll have a bit better 3rd gear, which is too low in the T19.

T19_vs_ZF5.thumb.jpg.5c08ed6c278ec99e78396c897eb8309b.jpg

Check the page at Novak transmissions where they state the T-19 found in 460 4x4 250's came with the 6.32:1 gear.

Since that bell pattern and tail combo is specific to ONLY this truck, I think you have 6:32 as well.

Do the torque multiplication.

It's pretty crazy.

ETA:

"We learned that the 1983 to 1986 Ford T19's, as installed behind the 460 and diesel typically had the 4.02:1 first gear in a 2wd application, or a diesel 4wd application. However, 5.11 versions are reported also for these. The 460 4wd truck got the 6.32:1 first gear, purportedly from 1983 to 1986 F250's"

Jim - I had always gone with what I read on the internet, and that does say the 7.5L T19's had the 6.32 1st gear. But some time ago Jonathan corrected me and I did some research. First, I turned to Ford's documentation, and I'll point out the 1983 dealer's fact book, which is the best one I have on-line, but the others agree. Go to the Powertrain tab and then to Pg 13, where you'll find this bit:

T19_Availability.thumb.jpg.7f36a892332d5bb83152dd64f00c23ee.jpg

Then go to the next page, where you'll find the table below showing that the T-19 has a 5.11 1st gear. However, I wasn't convinced so put BB in 1st and drove it at something like 3000 RPM using GPS for MPH, and did the math: 5.11. :nabble_smiley_blush:

T19_Gear_Ratios.thumb.jpg.6dfbbe176ea4220f0e7c4a671a5818af.jpg

Jim - I had always gone with what I read on the internet, and that does say the 7.5L T19's had the 6.32 1st gear. But some time ago Jonathan corrected me and I did some research. First, I turned to Ford's documentation, and I'll point out the 1983 dealer's fact book, which is the best one I have on-line, but the others agree. Go to the Powertrain tab and then to Pg 13, where you'll find this bit:

Then go to the next page, where you'll find the table below showing that the T-19 has a 5.11 1st gear. However, I wasn't convinced so put BB in 1st and drove it at something like 3000 RPM using GPS for MPH, and did the math: 5.11. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Rule #1 don't believe everything you read on the internet.

Gary, you've gone to the trouble to experiment and get the data, so I have to accept it as fact.

Kudos for that! :nabble_smiley_good:

Zf used to have quite a lot of data available on their site. Until they revamped it a few years back.

I will say in switching from the T-19 I notice first is a little higher (not enough to cause me to use it often) third is more useful, and obviously 5th is much better on the highway.

The engine is still in its sweet spot just under 3k rpm.

Rule #1 don't believe everything you read on the internet.

Gary, you've gone to the trouble to experiment and get the data, so I have to accept it as fact.

Kudos for that! :nabble_smiley_good:

Zf used to have quite a lot of data available on their site. Until they revamped it a few years back.

I will say in switching from the T-19 I notice first is a little higher (not enough to cause me to use it often) third is more useful, and obviously 5th is much better on the highway.

The engine is still in its sweet spot just under 3k rpm.

Gary, Jim, I have driven some stuff with low gears and transfer cases in low, that we used to say, it didn't move, it turned the earth. These were old (even in 1966) USMC trucks, gasoline powered 5 ton (which is deceptive, the rating is cross country, highway was 10 tons) these had a Continental RD602 in-line six of 602 ci and first gear low range at idle you could walk around the truck.

The other was what we called a PC for personnel carrier, a Dodge M37B1, and one actual M37 that had a much lower number than the others and under the Marine Corps green was olive drab and a white star on the doors. Speculation was it was one of the trucks Chesty Puller brought out from the Chosin Reservoir when the army abandoned them and pulled out. Those had a 4 speed with a granny low and a detached transfer case with the noisiest gears I have ever heard. Low gear/low range, max speed was 4 mph at the Dodge flathead six's WOT governed rpm, max in 4th/high range was 62 mph and was a scary ride, steering wandered and the brakes, well, lets say in a panic stop, if someone pulled in front and hit their brakes, if it was a small vehicle they would be dead. It was not possible to lock any wheels on pavement. The trucks were the style you saw on MASH, with the spare outside the driver's door and they were essentially a 1950 Dodge Power Wagon with 24 volt electrics and full waterproofing (ours had fording kits for each).

Gary, Jim, I have driven some stuff with low gears and transfer cases in low, that we used to say, it didn't move, it turned the earth. These were old (even in 1966) USMC trucks, gasoline powered 5 ton (which is deceptive, the rating is cross country, highway was 10 tons) these had a Continental RD602 in-line six of 602 ci and first gear low range at idle you could walk around the truck.

The other was what we called a PC for personnel carrier, a Dodge M37B1, and one actual M37 that had a much lower number than the others and under the Marine Corps green was olive drab and a white star on the doors. Speculation was it was one of the trucks Chesty Puller brought out from the Chosin Reservoir when the army abandoned them and pulled out. Those had a 4 speed with a granny low and a detached transfer case with the noisiest gears I have ever heard. Low gear/low range, max speed was 4 mph at the Dodge flathead six's WOT governed rpm, max in 4th/high range was 62 mph and was a scary ride, steering wandered and the brakes, well, lets say in a panic stop, if someone pulled in front and hit their brakes, if it was a small vehicle they would be dead. It was not possible to lock any wheels on pavement. The trucks were the style you saw on MASH, with the spare outside the driver's door and they were essentially a 1950 Dodge Power Wagon with 24 volt electrics and full waterproofing (ours had fording kits for each).

I was riffing on Archimedes, but yeah....

If we had all these vehicles pointed East and dropped the clutch at the same moment we could probably slow the Earth's rotation.