Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

So I threw a new window seal and glass into my F350 this afternoon. I noticed some minor rust forming in the channel yesterday, so I took care of that, and then tackled reinstalling the new glass and seal today. The old glass was full of welding slag, so it was in need of replacement. Luckily, I saved the one from my old cab. Unfortunately as you can see, the new seal doesn't fit as well as the old one, even though it's from NPD. That original colonial white is proudly showing through. Not much I can do about it until I repaint the cab.

Grumpin - Thanks, that bracket and harness would make things a lot easier.

Shaun - I've not heard good things about many of the aftermarket rear window seals. This one certainly is smaller, but is it good otherwise?

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Shaun - I've not heard good things about many of the aftermarket rear window seals. This one certainly is smaller, but is it good otherwise?

Neither have I, so I had hoped buying one from NPD would be my best bet. It seems to be okay, but only time will tell. It's rainy season in Florida so a few good afternoon showers should tell a great tale.

Neither have I, so I had hoped buying one from NPD would be my best bet. It seems to be okay, but only time will tell. It's rainy season in Florida so a few good afternoon showers should tell a great tale.

Hope I never have to do the rear window seal!

Hope I never have to do the rear window seal!

Had a pretty severe thunderstorm roll through today. Once it passed I went out to check the seal and couldn't find any leaks. Seems to have worked. Still worried about the window channel though, since there are places for water to get in. But they're on the bottom so maybe they'll be okay.

Had a pretty severe thunderstorm roll through today. Once it passed I went out to check the seal and couldn't find any leaks. Seems to have worked. Still worried about the window channel though, since there are places for water to get in. But they're on the bottom so maybe they'll be okay.

Maybe they are to let water out? :nabble_anim_confused:

Anyway, glad it didn't leak.

Steve(n) - That's a cool story! My go kart had a Model N B&S, which was rated at 1.5 HP, so a 3 HP motor would be fun! But 8 1/2 HP???? ....

I'm a little late to this non-truck diversion, but when I was in junior high / high school a friend of mine bought a racing kart frame and built up a Briggs 5 horse for it. Head, piston, connecting rod, cam shaft, valves, carb... About the only stock parts left on it were the block (which was bored and sleeved) and the crankshaft (which was balanced). He guessed it at about 12 hp.

Once we tried to see how fast it would go by "racing" it against another friends '79 Mercury Capri (the "Boss is back" version with a 5.0L and 5 speed). I was riding in the car for this. Up to about 30 mph the car was loafing to let the kart keep up. Then the kart hit it's powerband and jumped out to about a 30 foot lead before the car could react. Even with the Capri floored the kart held that slight advantage up to 60 mph. At that point we were near the end of the parking lot, so the car had to slow down to get turned around. The kart kept accelerating through the turn and by the time we were facing the other way he was just entering the turn at the other end of the lot! I don't know how fast that kart was, but I'm sure it was over 80 mph.

And it could handle the speed! Once I was going close to full speed in a relatively tight drift turn on blacktop. I hit some sand and the back end kicked out sideways. I turned into the skid and when I came off the sand and the slicks hit the hot asphalt again it just snapped back in line. I didn't even have time to think about getting scared!

Another time I was going about 55 mph on a two-lane county road (what's the statute of limitations on that?). I had caught up with a car and even in my youth I was sane enough to decide that passing him was a bad idea. So I turned it around. At 55 mph. On a 2 lane road. I lifted slightly on the throttle, sawed the wheel a little to get the back end loose, then floored it and threw it to full left lock. Immediately I was backing down the highway at about 55 mph with the back tires turning at about 80 mph the other way. It came to a stop pretty quickly and then accelerated the other way.

Later I bought the kart from him, but not the engine (he wanted way more for it than I could afford), so I put a pretty much stock Briggs 5 on it (just an aftermarket carb). That topped out around 35 mph, but I got some bigger knobby tires for it and started my off-roading career. Here's a pick of that kart with the "big" tires.

Bob_0005.jpg.f327bf598e6e978941e9eec03fc13c42.jpg

I'm more worried about moisture in the air hanging out in the gaps, but only time will tell.

Just spent the last two hours going through the MPC looking for the differences in shift boots and shift levers. Very disappointing research since there's only three boots listed for 1980-1983, one T-Case and one transmission, and one dual boot for those wacky SROD/4x4 trucks and Broncos. I have what I believe to be E0TZ-7277-A (Manual Trans Warner/NP) in my possession, however my stainless trim ring (E0TZ-1013100-A) doesn't fit the boot the way that my 1980 brochure and numerous saved pictures say that it should. I guess I'll have to see what happens when I put the vinyl floor in the truck.

I'm more worried about moisture in the air hanging out in the gaps, but only time will tell.

Just spent the last two hours going through the MPC looking for the differences in shift boots and shift levers. Very disappointing research since there's only three boots listed for 1980-1983, one T-Case and one transmission, and one dual boot for those wacky SROD/4x4 trucks and Broncos. I have what I believe to be E0TZ-7277-A (Manual Trans Warner/NP) in my possession, however my stainless trim ring (E0TZ-1013100-A) doesn't fit the boot the way that my 1980 brochure and numerous saved pictures say that it should. I guess I'll have to see what happens when I put the vinyl floor in the truck.

Bob - That's a cool story. I knew some people who were into kart racing and the B&S engines. I was fascinated with the science involved. Those things ran like banshees.

Shaun - What are the part numbers of the boots you found? I can climb the microfiche tower tomorrow and see if the '82 version has the earlier #'s.

Shaun - What are the part numbers of the boots you found? I can climb the microfiche tower tomorrow and see if the '82 version has the earlier #'s.

The manual transmission boot is E0TZ-7277-A

The transfer case boot is E0TZ-7277-E

The problem I'm having is that the trim ring just seems to be too small and the boot covers most of it. In the pictures I have, the trim ring is clearly visible and the boot doesn't cover it at all. The 80-82(11/81) boots only have four folds like I thought.

In the below photo, only two folds are through the boot, and you can see that they already fill the opening of the trim ring.

DSCN1990.jpg.b3afcffb594e69b284969f91cbee9ac5.jpg

In the below photo, it's pretty clear that the trim ring is not obstructed by the boot in any way.

13191188-1980-ford-bronco-srcset-xl.jpg.5a21b3b3382053823cc28a89fa1afe99.jpg

The manual transmission boot is E0TZ-7277-A

The transfer case boot is E0TZ-7277-E

The problem I'm having is that the trim ring just seems to be too small and the boot covers most of it. In the pictures I have, the trim ring is clearly visible and the boot doesn't cover it at all. The 80-82(11/81) boots only have four folds like I thought.

In the below photo, only two folds are through the boot, and you can see that they already fill the opening of the trim ring.

In the below photo, it's pretty clear that the trim ring is not obstructed by the boot in any way.

Shaun - I'll see what I can find on the '82 microfiche tomorrow.

But, doesn't the trim ring just clip onto the carpet? The one that I have has ears that I think are supposed to be tucked under the carpet.