Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

If I recall correctly, the 8 1/2 hp motor was seized-up when acquired. I disassembled the motor, disconnected the connecting rod from the crank, and then the crank was easily removed. I think the crank only had one end protruding out of the motor (for the drive shaft), and our lathe was ancient, and it was just able to open wide enough to chuck the other end up and grab onto it. So we turned the crank by rotating the whole thing, but since it was a single cylinder, it wasn't a big deal.

After I emory-polished the journals, we reassembled it with the 3 horse clutch and it became an angry wasp!

I noticed on my way home that the brake pedal finally went to the floor. I had been keeping an eye on the master cylinder for a while, and it was time to replace it. Got the lifetime-warrantied part from Oh'Really's, and installed it. While I was at it, I also replaced the sweaty power steering pressure hose. My truck is almost leak-free! (as opposed to freely-leaking!)

Maybe an interesting side-note: My truck had an empty electrical connector next to the PS pump. This is for a power steering pressure switch, located in the pressure line. However, trucks with the E4OD do not require this connection. Trucks with different transmissions won't run right without it. It basically tells the ship's computer to compensate for the extra power needed when using the power steering pump. Now that I'm typing this out, I wonder why the E4OD does not require it...maybe it deals with it through feedback from the trans, and other non-electronic trannys do not give that feedback...? Just speculating now. Well, in any case, if one were to hook up the connector to a switch in the pressure hose, even though it was not required, the result would be no result. The computer doesn't even look for that input, because it is specific to the E4OD setup. Don't ask how I know, I'm too busy taking extra parts back to Oh'Really's.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I noticed on my way home that the brake pedal finally went to the floor. I had been keeping an eye on the master cylinder for a while, and it was time to replace it. Got the lifetime-warrantied part from Oh'Really's, and installed it. While I was at it, I also replaced the sweaty power steering pressure hose. My truck is almost leak-free! (as opposed to freely-leaking!)

Maybe an interesting side-note: My truck had an empty electrical connector next to the PS pump. This is for a power steering pressure switch, located in the pressure line. However, trucks with the E4OD do not require this connection. Trucks with different transmissions won't run right without it. It basically tells the ship's computer to compensate for the extra power needed when using the power steering pump. Now that I'm typing this out, I wonder why the E4OD does not require it...maybe it deals with it through feedback from the trans, and other non-electronic trannys do not give that feedback...? Just speculating now. Well, in any case, if one were to hook up the connector to a switch in the pressure hose, even though it was not required, the result would be no result. The computer doesn't even look for that input, because it is specific to the E4OD setup. Don't ask how I know, I'm too busy taking extra parts back to Oh'Really's.

Wow! A lathe with a chuck large enough to take the big end of even a small engine's crank is big.

As for the master cylinder, glad you caught it before the trip. And, speaking of that, you ought to try towing a trailer to see what you think of how your truck handles it.

And you are probably right about the connector. The E4OD is fully electronically controlled, so the computer knows when the tranny can be using power. But that doesn't tell it what the power steering is doing. You can look at the pinouts on the ECU's here (Electrical/Electronic Engine Control) and see which ones used that signal. However, I don't know what the power steering signal's name is. Hmmm, I'll check the '96 EVTM to see what it says about the name of that input to the ECU.

Wow! A lathe with a chuck large enough to take the big end of even a small engine's crank is big.

As for the master cylinder, glad you caught it before the trip. And, speaking of that, you ought to try towing a trailer to see what you think of how your truck handles it.

And you are probably right about the connector. The E4OD is fully electronically controlled, so the computer knows when the tranny can be using power. But that doesn't tell it what the power steering is doing. You can look at the pinouts on the ECU's here (Electrical/Electronic Engine Control) and see which ones used that signal. However, I don't know what the power steering signal's name is. Hmmm, I'll check the '96 EVTM to see what it says about the name of that input to the ECU.

Finally painted the needles on in the instrument cluster in the truck and adjusted the shifter gauge so it now accurate.

The big thing this week is I found these cool vintage ZipDee chairs on Craigslist. Could not resist! I have a pair in my airstream, but these will stay with the truck :)

zipdee_and_truck.jpg.f55b2ac0edc5e06c66d91b504874f707.jpg

The big thing this week is I found these cool vintage ZipDee chairs on Craigslist. Could not resist! I have a pair in my airstream, but these will stay with the truck :)

zipdee_and_truck.jpg

Those would be the very rare engineering number E5TZ-ZIPDEE! :nabble_anim_claps:

Nice chairs, that's funny

Got the driver's side window seals in and what a difference! Very quiet now. Even shutting the door sounds better!

Cleaning up and remembered talking about a license plate mounted light bar and lights that I got. Couldn't find the post, but I took some pictures and here they are. Temporarily mounted with the lights sitting in them.

Lights_1.thumb.jpg.d7c64f7de2165187800cb994ccd22111.jpg

Lights_2.thumb.jpg.55b2e3ea7baa63c25cbb6b7a115f5630.jpg

Nice chairs, that's funny

Got the driver's side window seals in and what a difference! Very quiet now. Even shutting the door sounds better!

Cleaning up and remembered talking about a license plate mounted light bar and lights that I got. Couldn't find the post, but I took some pictures and here they are. Temporarily mounted with the lights sitting in them.

Yes, nice chairs. :nabble_smiley_good:

Grumpin - Isn't it amazing how much difference the seals make? Just amazing!

And the lights look like they should work well, but what is the plan for them? Are they driving or fog or?

And the lights look like they should work well, but what is the plan for them? Are they driving or fog or?

I actually wanted the lights for my Bronco. Driving lights, a little extra when no one is around. (Maybe on all the time as bright as some of these lights are nowadays!)

But, it looks better than I thought it would in person. Might have to put them on both vehicles.

Got a lot of things to do, so it's low on the list right now.

And yes, it is amazing how much better those seals are!

I actually wanted the lights for my Bronco. Driving lights, a little extra when no one is around. (Maybe on all the time as bright as some of these lights are nowadays!)

But, it looks better than I thought it would in person. Might have to put them on both vehicles.

Got a lot of things to do, so it's low on the list right now.

And yes, it is amazing how much better those seals are!

I'll add lights to Big Blue at some point, so am always looking to see what is available.

So I threw a new window seal and glass into my F350 this afternoon. I noticed some minor rust forming in the channel yesterday, so I took care of that, and then tackled reinstalling the new glass and seal today. The old glass was full of welding slag, so it was in need of replacement. Luckily, I saved the one from my old cab. Unfortunately as you can see, the new seal doesn't fit as well as the old one, even though it's from NPD. That original colonial white is proudly showing through. Not much I can do about it until I repaint the cab.

DSCN1986.jpg.17ae0f9a0bd506a026706b3774c96666.jpg