Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

I was going to post the one on Ebay that included the part number but I see I was beat to the punch.

But the 1980 only would explain why I've seen trucks with and without them.

Also, my magnet says they're stainless steel. :nabble_smiley_happy:

I forgot that, David. Good job.

I'll check the 1980 dealer's facts book this afternoon to see if it says anything about it and when it was used. I've taken Janey to an appointment now, and may go up to see John about the plans for Dad's floor when I get home, so we shall see when/if I get it done.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I forgot that, David. Good job.

I'll check the 1980 dealer's facts book this afternoon to see if it says anything about it and when it was used. I've taken Janey to an appointment now, and may go up to see John about the plans for Dad's floor when I get home, so we shall see when/if I get it done.

It will be interesting to see what it says, because they still show up in the 1981 Four Wheeler brochure, but then again, so do clear park lenses and slide locks.

Hopefully everything is on the right path with Janey.

Brandon and I had an interesting day yesterday. And, while not pickup related, it was interesting nonetheless.

Basically it was to bore the crankshaft on a new Honda engine to accept a pilot bushing, to shorten it by .500", and to drill a hole for a lock bolt. It took us a while to mount the engine on the mill's table with the crank parallel to the table and then to tilt the head of the mill so that it was also parallel with the crank. Once that was done we ran a .625" carbide end mill into the end of the crank to create the pocket for the pilot bushing.

Then we used a cut-off wheel to cut .500" off the end of the crank, as shown below. I'd take about a .020" cut with the mill table and then Brandon would turn the crank a few degrees with the starter rope. Then I'd take another cut and he'd turn. And after many minutes of doing that dance the end fell off. :nabble_smiley_good:

But then we marked and tried to drill the hole for the lock bolt. And we quickly discovered that while the center of the crank was fairly soft, the outside had been hardened. Seriously hardened. But we finally got that job done, although using another end mill rather than a drill bit as the bits just spun and got hot.

Meanwhile the next door neighbor came over due to whatever was going on outside. It had been raining cats and dogs and the wind had been howling. But all of a sudden there was no rain and not a leaf was stirring. And, as the neighbor pointed out, there were clouds going in three directions right above us.

Later Steve/FoxFord83 mentioned that he saw a twister come out of the sky to the west of where he works, which is east of us. Well, I'm pretty sure this is what he saw as it is surely directly above our house and the shop. :nabble_smiley_argh:

LOL! Yep, that was it!! Close call for the funnel, but it went back up.Seeing the Honda crank machining reminds me...I had a go-kart with a 3 horse motor/clutch. When that went out, my dad got an 8 1/2 horse motor to replace it. But we didn't have money for another clutch, but we did have a lathe. At 8 years old, I took the crank out and turned the end to accept a 3 horse clutch (and cut the keyway!) With the 3 horse clutch, there was no idle for that motor. What a machine! It was a Krazy Kart for the remainder of its life.

LOL! Yep, that was it!! Close call for the funnel, but it went back up.

Seeing the Honda crank machining reminds me...

I had a go-kart with a 3 horse motor/clutch. When that went out, my dad got an 8 1/2 horse motor to replace it. But we didn't have money for another clutch, but we did have a lathe. At 8 years old, I took the crank out and turned the end to accept a 3 horse clutch (and cut the keyway!) With the 3 horse clutch, there was no idle for that motor. What a machine! It was a Krazy Kart for the remainder of its life.

Replaced the passenger window seals. The old ones in the door were so brittle it came out in pieces.

Now the window motor is having to work! My son commented on how fast they were, when I first got the truck and I said there's no resistance at all.

Driver's side tomorrow.

Replaced the passenger window seals. The old ones in the door were so brittle it came out in pieces.

Now the window motor is having to work! My son commented on how fast they were, when I first got the truck and I said there's no resistance at all.

Driver's side tomorrow.

Took off the leaking water pump, take it up to AutoZone tomorrow for a new one.

Driver's side tomorrow.

Steve(n) - That's a cool story! My go kart had a Model N B&S, which was rated at 1.5 HP, so a 3 HP motor would be fun! But 8 1/2 HP????

And, you turned the crank down? How did you mount the crank in the lathe? With a face plate?

Grumpin - Most of the seals I've taken out have come out in pieces. Ford used some pretty questionable "rubber" back then.

Anyway, having done that to Big Blue I was very pleased with the lack of noise.

I've not heard of any damage or injuries in our area.

As for the engine, it'll be running a cement mixer in Brandon's business. There's a clutch that attaches to the shaft and then a gearbox that bolts to an adapter plate that bolts to the engine. And it is the input to the gearbox that has a pilot that runs in the bushing.

Apparently there is a commercially available engine for the mixer, but it is much more expensive than this approach. And, there are plans available to do the conversion, so we decided to do it.

I hope Brandon will chime in when he gets the whole thing assembled and tell us how it works.

I am trying to work out the clutch issues by trying ti see if there is another case half available for a smaller crank diameter.

And.... I have to work all weekend this weekend. I do need to get a little further on the rest of the assembly. I am a couple of good days work away from getting the mixer back together. I do plan on going to the clutch shop tomorrow to see what my options are.

The injector O rings are going bad on Whitey my 96 F 250 7.3. It using about 8 or 9 qts in between oil changes. My Dodge is still at the body shop as well. So there are still many fun projects along with necessary repairs to be performed.

I set a goal to have Whitey Jr the 92 Bullnose road worthy by the Fall.

I re united with an old friend I have known since Jr. High. He is restoring a 58 Edsel Ranger ( die hard Ford guy, from a Ford family). His problem is the same as mine. Lack of motivation. So we agreed to help each other and push each other with our projects.

So, I am anticipating great things!!

I am trying to work out the clutch issues by trying ti see if there is another case half available for a smaller crank diameter.

And.... I have to work all weekend this weekend. I do need to get a little further on the rest of the assembly. I am a couple of good days work away from getting the mixer back together. I do plan on going to the clutch shop tomorrow to see what my options are.

The injector O rings are going bad on Whitey my 96 F 250 7.3. It using about 8 or 9 qts in between oil changes. My Dodge is still at the body shop as well. So there are still many fun projects along with necessary repairs to be performed.

I re united with an old friend I have known since Jr. High. He is restoring a 58 Edsel Ranger ( die hard Ford guy, from a Ford family). His problem is the same as mine. Lack of motivation. So we agreed to help each other and push each other with our projects.

An Edsel Ranger, what engine? From what I remember the Ranger and Pacer came with the same engines as the Fords, and the Corsair and Citation came with an Edsel specific 410 ci engine.

On the clutch, how about .050" shim stock? If I remember correctly we had the clutch down to 1.100" or so on a 1.000" crank. So cut a piece of shim stock to wrap around all but the key way, punch a hole in it for the lock bolt, and slip it in.

As for working the weekend, it is supposed to rain Saturday morn. Hope you will be inside.

And motivation is a problem, but friends like us can help. Start a thread on Jr and post what you do. We'll egg you on.

Steve(n) - That's a cool story! My go kart had a Model N B&S, which was rated at 1.5 HP, so a 3 HP motor would be fun! But 8 1/2 HP????

And, you turned the crank down? How did you mount the crank in the lathe? With a face plate?

Grumpin - Most of the seals I've taken out have come out in pieces. Ford used some pretty questionable "rubber" back then.

Anyway, having done that to Big Blue I was very pleased with the lack of noise.

If I recall correctly, the 8 1/2 hp motor was seized-up when acquired. I disassembled the motor, disconnected the connecting rod from the crank, and then the crank was easily removed. I think the crank only had one end protruding out of the motor (for the drive shaft), and our lathe was ancient, and it was just able to open wide enough to chuck the other end up and grab onto it. So we turned the crank by rotating the whole thing, but since it was a single cylinder, it wasn't a big deal.

After I emory-polished the journals, we reassembled it with the 3 horse clutch and it became an angry wasp!