Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Ahhh! Now I understand.However, the trim ring I have appears to be stainless, not brushed aluminum. It is NOS, but I haven't checked to see if it fits any of the boots I'm going to run. But, on Dad's truck I'll be using the lower cover and could probably make the early boot fit the BW1356, and therefore use the trim ring I have.So, please document what you do. :nabble_smiley_good:
Brandon and I had an interesting day yesterday. And, while not pickup related, it was interesting nonetheless.

Basically it was to bore the crankshaft on a new Honda engine to accept a pilot bushing, to shorten it by .500", and to drill a hole for a lock bolt. It took us a while to mount the engine on the mill's table with the crank parallel to the table and then to tilt the head of the mill so that it was also parallel with the crank. Once that was done we ran a .625" carbide end mill into the end of the crank to create the pocket for the pilot bushing.

Then we used a cut-off wheel to cut .500" off the end of the crank, as shown below. I'd take about a .020" cut with the mill table and then Brandon would turn the crank a few degrees with the starter rope. Then I'd take another cut and he'd turn. And after many minutes of doing that dance the end fell off. :nabble_smiley_good:

But then we marked and tried to drill the hole for the lock bolt. And we quickly discovered that while the center of the crank was fairly soft, the outside had been hardened. Seriously hardened. But we finally got that job done, although using another end mill rather than a drill bit as the bits just spun and got hot.

Cutting_Brandons_Honda_Crankshaft.thumb.jpg.705115921dfd586bbb7918f1956d3e39.jpg

Meanwhile the next door neighbor came over due to whatever was going on outside. It had been raining cats and dogs and the wind had been howling. But all of a sudden there was no rain and not a leaf was stirring. And, as the neighbor pointed out, there were clouds going in three directions right above us.

Later Steve/FoxFord83 mentioned that he saw a twister come out of the sky to the west of where he works, which is east of us. Well, I'm pretty sure this is what he saw as it is surely directly above our house and the shop. :nabble_smiley_argh:

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Brandon and I had an interesting day yesterday. And, while not pickup related, it was interesting nonetheless.

Basically it was to bore the crankshaft on a new Honda engine to accept a pilot bushing, to shorten it by .500", and to drill a hole for a lock bolt. It took us a while to mount the engine on the mill's table with the crank parallel to the table and then to tilt the head of the mill so that it was also parallel with the crank. Once that was done we ran a .625" carbide end mill into the end of the crank to create the pocket for the pilot bushing.

Then we used a cut-off wheel to cut .500" off the end of the crank, as shown below. I'd take about a .020" cut with the mill table and then Brandon would turn the crank a few degrees with the starter rope. Then I'd take another cut and he'd turn. And after many minutes of doing that dance the end fell off. :nabble_smiley_good:

But then we marked and tried to drill the hole for the lock bolt. And we quickly discovered that while the center of the crank was fairly soft, the outside had been hardened. Seriously hardened. But we finally got that job done, although using another end mill rather than a drill bit as the bits just spun and got hot.

Meanwhile the next door neighbor came over due to whatever was going on outside. It had been raining cats and dogs and the wind had been howling. But all of a sudden there was no rain and not a leaf was stirring. And, as the neighbor pointed out, there were clouds going in three directions right above us.

Later Steve/FoxFord83 mentioned that he saw a twister come out of the sky to the west of where he works, which is east of us. Well, I'm pretty sure this is what he saw as it is surely directly above our house and the shop. :nabble_smiley_argh:

Yowsa! I don't miss them puppies!

Glad to hear you & yours are safe Gary!Hopefully no one else was injured or lost their home.Is that engine being used on a pump?I'm trying to understand the need for a pilot bearing...

Glad to hear you & yours are safe Gary!

Hopefully no one else was injured or lost their home.

Is that engine being used on a pump?

I'm trying to understand the need for a pilot bearing...

I've not heard of any damage or injuries in our area.

As for the engine, it'll be running a cement mixer in Brandon's business. There's a clutch that attaches to the shaft and then a gearbox that bolts to an adapter plate that bolts to the engine. And it is the input to the gearbox that has a pilot that runs in the bushing.

Apparently there is a commercially available engine for the mixer, but it is much more expensive than this approach. And, there are plans available to do the conversion, so we decided to do it.

I hope Brandon will chime in when he gets the whole thing assembled and tell us how it works.

Ahhh! Now I understand.

However, the trim ring I have appears to be stainless, not brushed aluminum. It is NOS, but I haven't checked to see if it fits any of the boots I'm going to run. But, on Dad's truck I'll be using the lower cover and could probably make the early boot fit the BW1356, and therefore use the trim ring I have.

So, please document what you do. :nabble_smiley_good:

As embarrassing at it sounds, I have now owned two of these trim rings and have never really paid that close of attention to them. They probably are stainless, and I'm just a dummy who is too lazy to break out his MPC.

The floor plate I bought has a boot that came with it for the transfer case, however it seems to have too many folds for the trim ring to fit around it. I cannot remember how I made it work with the boot in my F150 because I know that boot was from something newer than 1983. I guess I will have to quit being lazy and dig through my MPC and see what I can find.

I have saved the below picture since it's a close up, and there's definitely only four folds over the trim ring. Not sure if the rest are tucked under the vinyl floor, or if the boot itself is different with less folds.

13191188-1980-ford-bronco-srcset-xl.jpg.f4011069e4c852b7f63c89f85efde298.jpg

Ahhh! Now I understand.

However, the trim ring I have appears to be stainless, not brushed aluminum. It is NOS, but I haven't checked to see if it fits any of the boots I'm going to run. But, on Dad's truck I'll be using the lower cover and could probably make the early boot fit the BW1356, and therefore use the trim ring I have.

So, please document what you do. :nabble_smiley_good:

As embarrassing at it sounds, I have now owned two of these trim rings and have never really paid that close of attention to them. They probably are stainless, and I'm just a dummy who is too lazy to break out his MPC.

The floor plate I bought has a boot that came with it for the transfer case, however it seems to have too many folds for the trim ring to fit around it. I cannot remember how I made it work with the boot in my F150 because I know that boot was from something newer than 1983. I guess I will have to quit being lazy and dig through my MPC and see what I can find.

I have saved the below picture since it's a close up, and there's definitely only four folds over the trim ring. Not sure if the rest are tucked under the vinyl floor, or if the boot itself is different with less folds.

Shaun - I cannot find that trim ring in the catalog. And I have one of them - which does NOT have a number on it. I've looked at every instance of the terms "boot" and "trim" in the catalog, to no avail. And I've scrolled through the section that contains the boots and gear shift levers. Further, I've looked at every one of the illustrations of shift lever boots. Nada.

So, maybe tomorrow afternoon I'll climb the "microfiche tower" and check out the '82 version I have of the MPC. I'll look at the illustrations first and see if I can spot it. Then turn to the part #'s around boots and shift levers if needed.

Shaun - I cannot find that trim ring in the catalog. And I have one of them - which does NOT have a number on it.

E0TZ-1013100-A [?]

Ding, ding, ding!! We have a winner. It is E0TZ 1013100-A Retainer (Floor Carpet Center) and is for 1980, only, and is for F100/350 and U150. Said to be "oblong" and NLA.

Well done, David! How did you do that?

Ding, ding, ding!! We have a winner. It is E0TZ 1013100-A Retainer (Floor Carpet Center) and is for 1980, only, and is for F100/350 and U150. Said to be "oblong" and NLA.

It's a gift [from above]!

April 30th on our eBay @ Craigslist Finds:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/80-F100-F250-F350-BRONCO-NOS-OEM-FORD-E0TZ-1013100-A-SHIFT-BOOT-BEZEL-RETAINER/273826667873?hash=item3fc1575d61:g:dnYAAOSwxKBZ~4~Z

I was going to post the one on Ebay that included the part number but I see I was beat to the punch.

But the 1980 only would explain why I've seen trucks with and without them.

Also, my magnet says they're stainless steel. :nabble_smiley_happy: