Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Lima Delta - That sounds COLD! It is only in the 20's here and I don't like working outside. Brrrrr! But it sounds like it was a success. :nabble_smiley_good:

Grumpin - From what I've read, the best practice is not to hoist yourself into the truck with the steering wheel. Which is a problem with a tall truck, like Big Blue, as it is so tempting to do. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Steve - If it can be intermittent then that must be the problem. I'd assumed that it was all or nothing. Good to know, thanks. And the fact that it cranked when I tilted the wheel pretty well confirms it.

Gary, that is why Darth (who is shorter than Big Blue by the height of the spacer blocks for 4WD) is tall enough that even using the very solid DeeZee running boards it is still a hoist yourself job to get in. I salvaged a very sturdy set of assist handles from a conversion van and have one over each door opening.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gary, that is why Darth (who is shorter than Big Blue by the height of the spacer blocks for 4WD) is tall enough that even using the very solid DeeZee running boards it is still a hoist yourself job to get in. I salvaged a very sturdy set of assist handles from a conversion van and have one over each door opening.

Yes, I need to add some grab handles to Big Blue. And, I might change the steering column out to a non-tilt when I do the EFI'ing and install the ZF5. That way if people do hoist themselves in using it that shouldn't cause a problem.

Yes, I need to add some grab handles to Big Blue. And, I might change the steering column out to a non-tilt when I do the EFI'ing and install the ZF5. That way if people do hoist themselves in using it that shouldn't cause a problem.

I'm 6'2" ~240#, and I used to grab the steering wheel to climb in, even after I swapped to tilt. Mine never broke, but I was always conscious of how hard I was pulling on it. It wasn't until the '93 body/frame swap that I added handles.

So I wouldn't de-content the truck. I'd use the tilt column until it really wears out, and THEN consider putting in a non-tilt (if I couldn't repair/replace the tilt).

I'm 6'2" ~240#, and I used to grab the steering wheel to climb in, even after I swapped to tilt. Mine never broke, but I was always conscious of how hard I was pulling on it. It wasn't until the '93 body/frame swap that I added handles.

So I wouldn't de-content the truck. I'd use the tilt column until it really wears out, and THEN consider putting in a non-tilt (if I couldn't repair/replace the tilt).

It is apparently already broken. Now that I know I can maybe get it to crank when I tilt the wheel, I feel better about it. But I'll still carry my little red jumper. On the other hand, I probably won't loan it to anyone else for fear they won't know what to do.

So, how hard is it to fix? I have a link on the steering column page here (Interior/Steering Columns) to a how-to on FSB. However, it appears that all of the pictures are now gone. :nabble_smiley_cry:

This is exactly why I want the how-to's here where I can ensure the pics won't disappear. So, I'll probably do a how-to here when I replace that piece - assuming that I do. Anyway, do you know where a good how-to is?

Anyway, do you know where a good how-to is?
No, and that one wasn't that great, either. I tried to get him to take more pics, and I suggested some specific shots to get, but he either didn't care or read my suggestions too late. So I don't consider those pics a great loss.

My "how to" is in the caption of that diagram... :nabble_smiley_wink:

Do any of your shop manuals have the procedure? My '81 manual barely mentions the actuators in the full column disassembly procedure (13-06-17), and it focuses on E-series' column which is apparently substantially different.

Anyway, do you know where a good how-to is?
No, and that one wasn't that great, either. I tried to get him to take more pics, and I suggested some specific shots to get, but he either didn't care or read my suggestions too late. So I don't consider those pics a great loss.

My "how to" is in the caption of that diagram... :nabble_smiley_wink:

Do any of your shop manuals have the procedure? My '81 manual barely mentions the actuators in the full column disassembly procedure (13-06-17), and it focuses on E-series' column which is apparently substantially different.

I was really hoping to use the FSB one. However, that's basically the same as yours but spread out over several pages with places for the pics. Right?

So, how 'bout we collaborate and use your instructions and my pics? And you can tell me what other/different pics to get?

As for the manuals, I'll check tomorrow. But all I have are the '80, '81, and '85 FSM's. So I'll probably have exactly what you have.

I was really hoping to use the FSB one. However, that's basically the same as yours but spread out over several pages with places for the pics. Right?

So, how 'bout we collaborate and use your instructions and my pics? And you can tell me what other/different pics to get?

As for the manuals, I'll check tomorrow. But all I have are the '80, '81, and '85 FSM's. So I'll probably have exactly what you have.

Steve - I just realized that the FSB page has a link to a page with pics and instructions: http://chrisb.users.superford.org/Bronco/Projects/Steering_Column/Steering_Column.html. See what you think, but that is a painful page. So much whitespace and such little pics and so few words. :nabble_smiley_cry:

...same as yours... Right?
No, I was talking about my "how to" in this caption:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/72346/thumbnail/columntilt-exploded.jpg

...your instructions and my pics? And you can tell me what other/different pics to get?
It's been decades since I messed with one of those old columns. I still have the last one I drove in the '82 body on the '83 frame, but I can't remember if it's the one I rebuilt, or another replacement.
...that is a painful page. So much whitespace and such little pics and so few words.
It's easily the best writeup I've seen on the subject. I didn't realize the old SFO pages still existed, and I don't remember seeing that one before. But the pics are clickable to make them bigger, and I actually like the succinct instructions. I wouldn't change much, other than to omit the "...I thought...but it didn't work, so I had to..." steps. You should use it as a guide to rebuild yours, and take about 10x as many pics so you can choose the best ones to tell it your way. But I think you'll find it ends up VERY close to that. You could add a list of tools, parts ($, suppliers, PNs), chemicals (lube & threadlocker...), and torque specs, but that old writeup seems pretty close to my foggy memory.

...same as yours... Right?
No, I was talking about my "how to" in this caption:

https://supermotors.net/getfile/72346/thumbnail/columntilt-exploded.jpg

...your instructions and my pics? And you can tell me what other/different pics to get?
It's been decades since I messed with one of those old columns. I still have the last one I drove in the '82 body on the '83 frame, but I can't remember if it's the one I rebuilt, or another replacement.
...that is a painful page. So much whitespace and such little pics and so few words.
It's easily the best writeup I've seen on the subject. I didn't realize the old SFO pages still existed, and I don't remember seeing that one before. But the pics are clickable to make them bigger, and I actually like the succinct instructions. I wouldn't change much, other than to omit the "...I thought...but it didn't work, so I had to..." steps. You should use it as a guide to rebuild yours, and take about 10x as many pics so you can choose the best ones to tell it your way. But I think you'll find it ends up VERY close to that. You could add a list of tools, parts ($, suppliers, PNs), chemicals (lube & threadlocker...), and torque specs, but that old writeup seems pretty close to my foggy memory.

Steve - I've added links to your page as well as the SFO page so, for now, I think it is covered. But see what you think: Interior/Steering Columns.

Steve - I've added links to your page as well as the SFO page so, for now, I think it is covered. But see what you think: Interior/Steering Columns.

I had to go into a few of them, I had two cars and a truck with the tilt wheel columns, a 1970 LTD Brougham, a 1971 Colony Park and Darth, all had the same style column. The LTD and Colony Park had the rim blow horn steering wheel.

They are much worse than a Saginaw column to work on, however do not seem to suffer the same problem the Saginaw ones had, where the 4 bolts that hold the tilt collar (bottom section) to the tube loosen resulting in a steering wheel that literally flops around. The tilt wheel in Darth is the 1992-96/7 one, which is a lot sturdier, but still is not recommended that you pull on it getting in or out. The Chrysler has a Saginaw tilt column with a key release lever (floor shift).