Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Polar vortex got us down to -40C in Saskatchewan yesterday. That's without the wind chill folks. Happy to report my 1998 F150 and my son's 2014 F150 fired right up. Had to boost the Expedition,but it too fired right up.

Now, I'm a little ashamed to admit I didn't plug any of them in.

No, that was -40F. :nabble_anim_blbl: (That temp is the one point where the Centigrade and Fahrenheit scales cross. :nabble_smiley_wink:)

But, no matter what scale, THAT IS COLD! And the fact your trucks started is remarkable.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No, that was -40F. :nabble_anim_blbl: (That temp is the one point where the Centigrade and Fahrenheit scales cross. :nabble_smiley_wink:)

But, no matter what scale, THAT IS COLD! And the fact your trucks started is remarkable.

Had a Ford driving neighbor who was not so lucky. A corroded battery connection likely kept the battery from charging fully and even though the truck, (96 F150 with a 5.8) was plugged in, it only cranked slowly. This is the kiss of death in these temperatures, especially with an EFI vehicle. The fuel injectors still run, flooding the engine and the temps are cold enough that the fuel does not disperse. Once you get your battery charged and connections repaired, you have to crank the engine quite a while with your foot on the floor so the rich charge is displaced. Some folk forget that the injectors are designed to shut off in such circumstances, or it would be impossible to clear a flooded engine.

Man, am I glad I don't live in Minnesota!

It keeps the riff-raff out! :nabble_smiley_happy:

Hahaha, I does do that, doesn't it!!

I spent a few years out west back in the mid-1990's, so I remember those prairie temps all too well.

Speaking of Minnesota, I did a work trip to Mankato MN in the middle of the winter back in or around 2006, and it was something like -40F...I forget exactly. I walked into the plant, and the girl at the front desk was joking with me asked me if I had brought the cold with me from Canada? I said heck no, it doesn't get anywhere near this cold where I live in Canada...lol. It's about (-8c) 15F here this week which is considered pretty cold for us.

That same trip was also my first and only experience of being in a full size 4x4 truck on the ice (on a frozen lake). The customer took a couple of us out to see some ice fishing shacks one evening. Wish I could say that I wasn't nervous. People fall through the ice here every winter and die (ATV's, snowmobiles, etc) so the idea of driving on a lake in a 5000 lb vehicle was a little unnerving to me.

Whereabouts did you mount this? Got one to fit on mine and not sure where to place it😕

Alan

I have mine mounted on the driver's fender, but I've also mounted them on a bolt hole on the intake manifold, right in front of the carb.

And, speaking of carb, that's what I did today - after I put away a bunch of the documentation I've been scanning.

Long story short, but my brother bought a '55 Chevy that a friend of his has been drag-racing for many decades. It is very straight and clean, but the tunnel ram and dual Carter AFB's (the racing ones w/o a choke) on the 350 are a bit much. So he's going Edelbrock w/the intake and cam. I asked him what carb and he said a 750 CFM Edelbrock Performer. I told him that's too much carb and that I have a 1406 (600 CFM) he can have. Sold!

I pulled the carb out and discovered that it wasn't complete. Nor was the other one. And, it is a manual choke. But I have a carb kit, thanks to Brandon, and an e-choke kit I bought some time ago. So, let the build up begin!

It has now been thoroughly dis-assembled, cleaned, and partially re-assembled. At this point the float levels and drops have been set and the top is back on. So all that is left is to add the e-choke and put the linkage back together. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I have mine mounted on the driver's fender, but I've also mounted them on a bolt hole on the intake manifold, right in front of the carb.

And, speaking of carb, that's what I did today - after I put away a bunch of the documentation I've been scanning.

Long story short, but my brother bought a '55 Chevy that a friend of his has been drag-racing for many decades. It is very straight and clean, but the tunnel ram and dual Carter AFB's (the racing ones w/o a choke) on the 350 are a bit much. So he's going Edelbrock w/the intake and cam. I asked him what carb and he said a 750 CFM Edelbrock Performer. I told him that's too much carb and that I have a 1406 (600 CFM) he can have. Sold!

I pulled the carb out and discovered that it wasn't complete. Nor was the other one. And, it is a manual choke. But I have a carb kit, thanks to Brandon, and an e-choke kit I bought some time ago. So, let the build up begin!

It has now been thoroughly dis-assembled, cleaned, and partially re-assembled. At this point the float levels and drops have been set and the top is back on. So all that is left is to add the e-choke and put the linkage back together. :nabble_smiley_wink:

And hopefully test it and verify it does its job before giving it to your brother as a working unit. ;)

And hopefully test it and verify it does its job before giving it to your brother as a working unit. ;)

Chris - You are reading my mind! The last thing I want to have happen is for that carb to get his engine started and then fail - while he is breaking in that brand new flat-tappet cam. So, since the 600 will bolt right in place of the 750 on Big Blue, I'm going to put it on and run it. And, hopefully I can get enough miles on it to both ensure it is sound as well as to see what it'll due to the MPG on BB. :nabble_smiley_good:

Chris - You are reading my mind! The last thing I want to have happen is for that carb to get his engine started and then fail - while he is breaking in that brand new flat-tappet cam. So, since the 600 will bolt right in place of the 750 on Big Blue, I'm going to put it on and run it. And, hopefully I can get enough miles on it to both ensure it is sound as well as to see what it'll due to the MPG on BB. :nabble_smiley_good:

And maybe have even more low end grunt and responsiveness? :nabble_anim_confused:

And maybe have even more low end grunt and responsiveness? :nabble_anim_confused:

Yes, the smaller carb should help with both of those, but just won't have as much top-end power. However, Ford put a 600 CFM carb on the 460 from the factory, so it should work out well.

But, it isn't happening today. I had some errands to run this morning and was out in the 40 degrees and 110% humidity too long, so am now on the porch w/a cup of hot chocolate and a quilt. And the guy bringing the 23 binders of TSB's is supposed to text just about any mo to tell me he's rolling into T-town, so I'll just warm, not chill, for a bit and catch up on forum stuff. :nabble_anim_working: