Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Not a bad idea. I dont beleive you can get blank ones.

THIS IS REALLY WHAT I DID TO MY TRUCK TODAY!!!!!!!! :nabble_anim_jump:

As I just posted on Dad's Truck Build, I actually did something on it today! (The last post was March 26th. :nabble_smiley_blush:)

And, as a teaser, here's a big part of what I did today. It may not look like much, but it took a lot of blasting to get things that clean. :nabble_smiley_wink:

DSCN3362.thumb.jpg.8fb5d5c4655159b7856bbd5f0819f174.jpg

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

THIS IS REALLY WHAT I DID TO MY TRUCK TODAY!!!!!!!! :nabble_anim_jump:

As I just posted on Dad's Truck Build, I actually did something on it today! (The last post was March 26th. :nabble_smiley_blush:)

And, as a teaser, here's a big part of what I did today. It may not look like much, but it took a lot of blasting to get things that clean. :nabble_smiley_wink:

As documented in Dad's Truck Build, I painted the front springs, transmission mount, and several spots on the frame.

But, I asked a question there that I want to repeat here. As I told Bill, powder coating can be damaged as you turn nuts and bolts. And the shock mounts typically bolt to the radius arms w/o washers, which is sure to tear up the powder. So I slipped some plated washers on, which solved the problem.

However, now I'm having remorse. Do I want plated washers showing? Should I pull them, blast them, and powder coat them black, which is easily touched up if they are damaged in assembly?

Radius_Arm_Shock_Mount_Closeup.thumb.jpg.00aa3d2a0e19445f610c504da5c716a5.jpg

As documented in Dad's Truck Build, I painted the front springs, transmission mount, and several spots on the frame.

But, I asked a question there that I want to repeat here. As I told Bill, powder coating can be damaged as you turn nuts and bolts. And the shock mounts typically bolt to the radius arms w/o washers, which is sure to tear up the powder. So I slipped some plated washers on, which solved the problem.

However, now I'm having remorse. Do I want plated washers showing? Should I pull them, blast them, and powder coat them black, which is easily touched up if they are damaged in assembly?

SS washers, all prob solved. That's what I would do.

That would do it. Thanks!

Gary, you probably already know this trick, but almost always the next size down washer fits over a bolt. So you can use a #10 washer on a 1/4" bolt, or a 1/4" washer on a 5/16" bolt. I do that often if I'm not looking for the area to spread the load out more but I want a cleaner look.

Gary, you probably already know this trick, but almost always the next size down washer fits over a bolt. So you can use a #10 washer on a 1/4" bolt, or a 1/4" washer on a 5/16" bolt. I do that often if I'm not looking for the area to spread the load out more but I want a cleaner look.

I do that as well for a better look. Unfortunately those are 10 x 1.50 mm bolts, and 3/8" was too small. But I happened to have the right metric washers, so used them. So, if I want to put stainless in there I'll have to buy some of those.

I do that as well for a better look. Unfortunately those are 10 x 1.50 mm bolts, and 3/8" was too small. But I happened to have the right metric washers, so used them. So, if I want to put stainless in there I'll have to buy some of those.

My score today at U-pull...$15 I figured an easy way to get door hooks off, gonna rest a little, got hooks blasted, and painted, maybe tomorrow if it's not raining agin !!!!!

U-pull.thumb.jpg.413e5c8e1275dff2d3350ba39548c9ff.jpg

Jim - Bill designed/built all of that, so I'm just returning it the way I got it. But I do understand the "secure it" mantra, and heed it closely. Each of the fasteners is wrapped w/shrink wrap, and then groups of them are bundled and wrapped with bubble wrap. And most of those are stuffed in the lower plenum tightly so they can't come out nor bounce around. Ditto the konvertible top h/w that is stuffed in the lower corner of the first pic - wrapped separately, then bundled, then stuffed where it can't come out.

When I shipped Dad's engine to Tim he said I won the prize for packing. He figured it could have fallen off the truck and cart-wheeled w/o damage. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Gary, I thought yo might like to see one of the pieces installed (I used some extra bolts to hold the baffle in) all but two of the bolts have washers on them, the two that do not are "double ended" and go on the timing belt end since they also hold the upper belt cover and some brackets for the fuel and vacuum lines. I bought two 3/16" flat washers to go under those.

DSCN3172.jpg.412f92b2e60db6078eb4c337fa9089cc.jpg

Gary, I thought yo might like to see one of the pieces installed (I used some extra bolts to hold the baffle in) all but two of the bolts have washers on them, the two that do not are "double ended" and go on the timing belt end since they also hold the upper belt cover and some brackets for the fuel and vacuum lines. I bought two 3/16" flat washers to go under those.

Look perfect, Bill! :nabble_smiley_good:

As for what I did for my truck today, I bought eight 10 mm stainless washers for re-attaching the shock mounts.