Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Not sure why my I'm ages are flipped. :nabble_smiley_angry:

This forum, like most, doesn't have the smarts to read the metadata in the pic and properly orient the picture. I usually find that just opening the pic in and editing program and then saving it properly orients it for forum use. But, it didn't work for me earlier today, and I don't know what I did wrong.

Anyway, glad you got the bearing out. I've used grease but not bread nor newspaper, but I've heard they work.

As for the smog delete, the AIR pump doesn't take much power, but the components fail and aren't always easy to find. Especially some of the tubing that is prone to corrosion. But you can delete that system and leave the rest.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This forum, like most, doesn't have the smarts to read the metadata in the pic and properly orient the picture. I usually find that just opening the pic in and editing program and then saving it properly orients it for forum use. But, it didn't work for me earlier today, and I don't know what I did wrong.

Anyway, glad you got the bearing out. I've used grease but not bread nor newspaper, but I've heard they work.

As for the smog delete, the AIR pump doesn't take much power, but the components fail and aren't always easy to find. Especially some of the tubing that is prone to corrosion. But you can delete that system and leave the rest.

Didn't get as much done today as I'd hoped, but what else is new? :nabble_smiley_sad:

The part I'd forgotten was how many openings the lower plenum for an EFI'd 460 has. All of those openings need to be plugged or masked off to ensure powder doesn't go in there.

DSCN3315.jpg.988da9e634bbd469c80026b846f14a0e.jpg

Plus, I don't like to put powder on the gasket surfaces, or for that matter the underside for fear that the powder might let go for some reason and get into the oiling system - like the Nylon did about 1970 in GM's engines. So I mask off all gasket surfaces as well as the bottom.

DSCN3314.jpg.585ca2f518e9454aa705bce46a5a593e.jpg

And, that's it for the day - one lower plenum masked off. In my defense, that's tedious work. :nabble_smiley_uh:

Didn't get as much done today as I'd hoped, but what else is new? :nabble_smiley_sad:

The part I'd forgotten was how many openings the lower plenum for an EFI'd 460 has. All of those openings need to be plugged or masked off to ensure powder doesn't go in there.

Plus, I don't like to put powder on the gasket surfaces, or for that matter the underside for fear that the powder might let go for some reason and get into the oiling system - like the Nylon did about 1970 in GM's engines. So I mask off all gasket surfaces as well as the bottom.

And, that's it for the day - one lower plenum masked off. In my defense, that's tedious work. :nabble_smiley_uh:

Looks good sir, those things do have a lot of holes, although I suspect the through holes for the 16 hold down fasteners might not be a huge issue.

Looks good sir, those things do have a lot of holes, although I suspect the through holes for the 16 hold down fasteners might not be a huge issue.

Since I had the bottom of the hole blocked with the aluminum foil I was afraid that there would be a buildup of powder if I didn't plug the top. Conversely, I worried that if I punched through the aluminum foil I would provide a point of entry for the powder to the bottom of the plenum.

Given all that, I plugged them. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Since I had the bottom of the hole blocked with the aluminum foil I was afraid that there would be a buildup of powder if I didn't plug the top. Conversely, I worried that if I punched through the aluminum foil I would provide a point of entry for the powder to the bottom of the plenum.

Given all that, I plugged them. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Disclaimer - Not My Truck. (But, at least it is sorta a Bullnose. :nabble_smiley_wink: )

DSCN3323_reduced.thumb.jpg.b0c206a8731c89f037ff6ded008ac930.jpg

DSCN3316.thumb.jpg.f9ca88938d7d1b0c5ca3f5367ce291db.jpg

DSCN3319.thumb.jpg.113f6e4291b3e946c42ddeb9bd89d6b1.jpg

DSCN3318.thumb.jpg.e211c8e617c45618e04abf262b5191a3.jpg

DSCN3322.thumb.jpg.db7ca3caf90520b0bbdea019bb45cb55.jpg

DSCN3321.thumb.jpg.f70f361d77780a7056456bf60b3ad7e4.jpg

I could have sworn a 1986 was a Bullnose. The title and registration still say 1986. Those are going to look nice of the new engine!

Yep. And it looks like a Bullnose on the outside. But under the hood and the dash don't quite look like what Ford shipped out those year. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I think they'll look very nice on there. How close are you to getting the engine ready for them?

Yep. And it looks like a Bullnose on the outside. But under the hood and the dash don't quite look like what Ford shipped out those year. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I think they'll look very nice on there. How close are you to getting the engine ready for them?

Engine is ready for them, it's just not ready to be inserted in Darth, that will be a warmer weather several day project. Part of which will be a frame degreasing while everything is accessible. Doghouse off so it will be wide open. Nice part, since I have the later harnesses, it will be easy to separate the front clip. Take the 76 pin firewall connector off, 104 pin EEC-V connector, unplug the A/C harness to front harness plugs. Put a strap on the hood and secure it back and up. Use one of the tractors to push the truck in, lift the old engine out, support the front of the E4OD, pull the truck out and wash everything down. Also be a good time to install the Saginaw pump.

Probably give the frame a coat of paint after it is degreased. Once it is cleaned, new torque converter seal and probably a fluid change on the E4OD.

Engine is ready for them, it's just not ready to be inserted in Darth, that will be a warmer weather several day project. Part of which will be a frame degreasing while everything is accessible. Doghouse off so it will be wide open. Nice part, since I have the later harnesses, it will be easy to separate the front clip. Take the 76 pin firewall connector off, 104 pin EEC-V connector, unplug the A/C harness to front harness plugs. Put a strap on the hood and secure it back and up. Use one of the tractors to push the truck in, lift the old engine out, support the front of the E4OD, pull the truck out and wash everything down. Also be a good time to install the Saginaw pump.

Probably give the frame a coat of paint after it is degreased. Once it is cleaned, new torque converter seal and probably a fluid change on the E4OD.

Looks like you have the project well mapped out. And the parts should be there late next week or the week after. I have the fasteners masked and ready, so just have to mask the Chizzler valve cover and then I can PC that lot. Then sand and clear-coat it, and PC the konvertible parts.

By the way, do you want the konvertible parts clear-coated? If I'm doing the valve cover I could.