Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Thanks! Below is what I've captured to this point. As you can see, we are close on most measurements and right on for the front hole/top measurement.

I've agreed w/Ben, the guy that's going to build the bumper, that I'll pull the rear bumper off of Big Blue and take the truck over to him when he's ready to start. That way he'll be able to do a trial fit. Anyway, I can then measure BB's frame more accurately. And, I have Dad's frame handy. So I'll measure them with calipers and update the file.

Again, thanks!

Hi, Gary. Here are the measurements for the rear bumper to frame mounts.

measurements.thumb.jpg.da629a021aa6f02da4bcb928deabd525.jpg

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi, Gary. Here are the measurements for the rear bumper to frame mounts.

Yipes! Three holes? And waaaaay different than the two Styleside holes. This is a Flareside, right?

I'll catalog the info, but it looks like there's a big difference in the way the bumper mounts on the two different trucks.

Thanks.

Yipes! Three holes? And waaaaay different than the two Styleside holes. This is a Flareside, right?

I'll catalog the info, but it looks like there's a big difference in the way the bumper mounts on the two different trucks.

Thanks.

No, it is not a flareside. It is a Bronco. My apologies as I thought you were aware of that when you asked.

William

No, it is not a flareside. It is a Bronco. My apologies as I thought you were aware of that when you asked.

William

That's certainly not your fault. That's mine. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Ok, so we know that a Bronco takes a different bumper bracket than a Styleside. I'll have to check the brackets in the catalog to see if the Flareside is different.

I'm certainly learning on this project. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Thanks, William.

That's certainly not your fault. That's mine. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Ok, so we know that a Bronco takes a different bumper bracket than a Styleside. I'll have to check the brackets in the catalog to see if the Flareside is different.

I'm certainly learning on this project. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Thanks, William.

We are all learning on these projects. :nabble_anim_confused:

I'll have to check the brackets in the catalog to see if the Flareside is different.

My measurements are for a Flareside Gary, so it looks like they're the same as the Styleside.

Yes, we are all learning. And, at 71 I'm realizing that there's so much to learn and so little time to do it that I'll never get "there". :nabble_smiley_sad:

And, I'm glad we have a Flareside as well as the Bronco in the mix.

Yes, we are all learning. And, at 71 I'm realizing that there's so much to learn and so little time to do it that I'll never get "there". :nabble_smiley_sad:

And, I'm glad we have a Flareside as well as the Bronco in the mix.

I officially liberated the fuel tank from the Bronco today. Overall, it wasn't too bad a job. The cold was the greatest hurdle, and I am thankful the tank was is actually empty.

The inside didn't look too bad and I plan on dropping the radiator and the fuel tank off next week for a cleaning and service check on both. Depending the cost, I might just buy new and upgrade the radiator to alluminum. I will start that research tonight.

I received word that the engine is ready for pickup, so I will start making arrangements to get it back and reinstalled. This makes getting the radiator and fuel tank ready first priority so that I can fire that beast up when I do get it installed.

IMG_20181205_120338962_HDR.jpg.2c888e45a5ae6217383267721a642503.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I officially liberated the fuel tank from the Bronco today. Overall, it wasn't too bad a job. The cold was the greatest hurdle, and I am thankful the tank was is actually empty.

The inside didn't look too bad and I plan on dropping the radiator and the fuel tank off next week for a cleaning and service check on both. Depending the cost, I might just buy new and upgrade the radiator to alluminum. I will start that research tonight.

I received word that the engine is ready for pickup, so I will start making arrangements to get it back and reinstalled. This makes getting the radiator and fuel tank ready first priority so that I can fire that beast up when I do get it installed.

Hstrymkrs - What's the status? Did you buy the new radiator? Did the fuel tank clean up well? Is the engine back? Inquiring minds want to know! :nabble_smiley_wink:

So, what did I do to my truck today? Nada. Today Brandon/Bruno2 came by and we cut up 3/4" thick steel and drilled holes in it. Not sure why he came here - surely a hack saw would've eventually gotten that 5" cut done. And a file would have cleaned it nicely. As for his hand drill, I think it would have placed those three holes exactly where they needed to be. :nabble_smiley_evil:

As it was, the band saw got used, the mill w/a flycutter cleaned the cut up nicely, and the mill made the holes exactly where they needed to be. But, I will have to admit that the steel was tough. Not sure what it was, but it was quite hard.

Having said all that, I did drive Big Blue a couple of days ago and forgot to report the defugelties:

• The passenger's door didn't want to unlock. David/1986F150Six told me that the problem is usually bent linkage in the door. Great. :nabble_smiley_cry:

• The HVAC system didn't want to change where the air was being directed. In fact, I'm not sure where it was being directed. The fan was running but there was little air coming out anywhere. :nabble_anim_confused:

• The lurking disconnect between the ignition switch and the solenoid showed his ugly head again.

Jumping the battery to the solenoid make quick work of starting the engine. (This time I remembered to leave the key ON.) But, it is a pain, and somewhat embarrasing, to have to lift the hood to start the truck. :nabble_smiley_blush:

• The lurking disconnect between the ignition switch and the solenoid showed his ugly head again.

Jumping the battery to the solenoid make quick work of starting the engine. (This time I remembered to leave the key ON.) But, it is a pain, and somewhat embarrasing, to have to lift the hood to start the truck. :nabble_smiley_blush:

My '97 has done that to me a few times too. Although in my family I was more the hero for being able to "hot wire" it so easily (pretty easy to do actually when you have the keys). In my case it sounds like the trans position switch might be the most likely culprit, and the next time it does it I'll try wiggling the shift lever. But somehow I don't think that'll help you with Big Blue.