Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

I didn't realize that the M5OD-R2 was available in the F250. But, my page on manual transmissions confirms it if you know what to look for.

Yeah, the M5OD was basically an F150 and Bronco transmission, but it did show up in the lighter duty F250 trucks. The guy I bought my original M5OD from actually had it for sale as a "ZF" for a while, because he assumed that is what came in all of the 3/4 ton trucks. Somebody corrected him on it, then he relisted it correctly as the M5OD.

The one currently in my truck is tagged F1TA-HB, and the one I picked up today is tagged E9TA-CA.

These transmissions were fairly common, but they're a bit more difficult to find around my area. The key point of interest with the M5OD 5spd, at least for Bullnose use, is that the cable driven speedo disappeared in 1992. So, for Bullnose use, the 1988-1991 M5OD is the one you want.

And, I'm speaking specifically of the 4x2 version. With a 4x4 you may have more options with regards to speedo cables since they go into the t-case don't they?

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I didn't realize that the M5OD-R2 was available in the F250. But, my page on manual transmissions confirms it if you know what to look for.

Yeah, the M5OD was basically an F150 and Bronco transmission, but it did show up in the lighter duty F250 trucks. The guy I bought my original M5OD from actually had it for sale as a "ZF" for a while, because he assumed that is what came in all of the 3/4 ton trucks. Somebody corrected him on it, then he relisted it correctly as the M5OD.

The one currently in my truck is tagged F1TA-HB, and the one I picked up today is tagged E9TA-CA.

These transmissions were fairly common, but they're a bit more difficult to find around my area. The key point of interest with the M5OD 5spd, at least for Bullnose use, is that the cable driven speedo disappeared in 1992. So, for Bullnose use, the 1988-1991 M5OD is the one you want.

And, I'm speaking specifically of the 4x2 version. With a 4x4 you may have more options with regards to speedo cables since they go into the t-case don't they?

Yes, E9TA-7003-CA does show on that page as the tranny for an F150 or 250 4x2 with a 3.08 or 2.73 axle. :nabble_smiley_good:

And you are correct - a 4x4's speedo cable goes into the transfer case, so you could use the later transmissions and put an earleir t-case on it.

Oh no! Sorry to see that. Hope nothing is broken or damaged. Hitting the ground hard, worse yet "pretty hard", is not good news. Please let us know after seeing the Doc.

Doc says I'm all right. Didn't break or pull anything. Hurt the ligaments in my shoulder. Still hurts, but getting better.

He advised me not to fall off steps! :nabble_smiley_grin:

Oh no! Sorry to see that. Hope nothing is broken or damaged. Hitting the ground hard, worse yet "pretty hard", is not good news. Please let us know after seeing the Doc.

Doc says I'm all right. Didn't break or pull anything. Hurt the ligaments in my shoulder. Still hurts, but getting better.

He advised me not to fall off steps! :nabble_smiley_grin:

Great! So, take it easy, take it easy, don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy. Oops, sorry. Got lots of things on my mind, but not seven women. However, it was a Ford at least. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Anyway, take it easy and heal up. And, by the way, if you haven't noticed healing takes a lot longer than it used to take.

Great! So, take it easy, take it easy, don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy. Oops, sorry. Got lots of things on my mind, but not seven women. However, it was a Ford at least. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Anyway, take it easy and heal up. And, by the way, if you haven't noticed healing takes a lot longer than it used to take.

Thanks!

Now that song is stuck in my head!

That's right, old guys rule! Or drool, can't remember now!

Thanks!

Now that song is stuck in my head!

That's right, old guys rule! Or drool, can't remember now!

"Old age and treachery beat youth and exuberance" statement from a race driver friend. And as they say about fighter pilots, there are old fighter pilots and bold fighter pilots, but very few old, bold fighter pilots.

I finally installed my new rear slider.

This was a frustrating one... and perhaps someone can chime in on their experience with this... but I had to go a few rounds with the suppliers to find the "correct" rubber for this "one size fits all" tinted window... the gasket fit doesn't pass my tolerance for "Oh come on... really?" but with a few tubes of silicone sealant... :nabble_smiley_angry:

IMG_3947.jpg.e3efdc6e016825a4980eb7bfa6595eb6.jpg

IMG_3944.jpg.0cd543e4e76f4c767d466c414f239eda.jpg

IMG_3946.jpg.57751ffe0fb62e9d8f173f0338b6b803.jpg

(y'all like my paint job? :nabble_smiley_whistling:)

I took the bait and bought the "one size fits all" CRL #7130EP window sold by LMC #49-6832... http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fd/full.aspx?Page=107

and honestly the window itself is very nicely made... no complaints there.

It's the gasket that seems to be the issue. I had originally ordered the rubber for the "With groove for chrome trim" 49-9288 http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fd/full.aspx?Page=29 as my truck originally had a slider (one sliding pane had somehow completely disappeared :nabble_anim_confused:) and had the locking "chrome" insert in the gasket... but after fitting it to the window it was clearly not going to work... the fit was very loose.

So I called CRL and talked to the "product expert" (actually he was great) and he said I should be using their #WBL1158 rubber for my truck with this window... which, according to LMC is their 49-9286 gasket... so I gave that a go and the pics speak for themselves.

Anyway... is this as good a fit as I can expect to achieve? Other, better options?

"Old age and treachery beat youth and exuberance" statement from a race driver friend. And as they say about fighter pilots, there are old fighter pilots and bold fighter pilots, but very few old, bold fighter pilots.

NO!! That is horrible. I have installed a slider in these trucks, but that isn't acceptable at all.

I finally installed my new rear slider.

This was a frustrating one... and perhaps someone can chime in on their experience with this... but I had to go a few rounds with the suppliers to find the "correct" rubber for this "one size fits all" tinted window... the gasket fit doesn't pass my tolerance for "Oh come on... really?" but with a few tubes of silicone sealant... :nabble_smiley_angry:

(y'all like my paint job? :nabble_smiley_whistling:)

I took the bait and bought the "one size fits all" CRL #7130EP window sold by LMC #49-6832... http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fd/full.aspx?Page=107

and honestly the window itself is very nicely made... no complaints there.

It's the gasket that seems to be the issue. I had originally ordered the rubber for the "With groove for chrome trim" 49-9288 http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fd/full.aspx?Page=29 as my truck originally had a slider (one sliding pane had somehow completely disappeared :nabble_anim_confused:) and had the locking "chrome" insert in the gasket... but after fitting it to the window it was clearly not going to work... the fit was very loose.

So I called CRL and talked to the "product expert" (actually he was great) and he said I should be using their #WBL1158 rubber for my truck with this window... which, according to LMC is their 49-9286 gasket... so I gave that a go and the pics speak for themselves.

Anyway... is this as good a fit as I can expect to achieve? Other, better options?

Factory sliders have a gasket that fits the double track of a factory slider.

C R Laurence sell a 'universal' slider, and their track fits within the opening of the gasket and has a thin flange that fits a factory single pane gasket.

IMG_20180820_134720.thumb.jpg.6fe74b409d4559b47bb2a6dc89323f84.jpg

C.R.L's window also comes with some plastic flange 'extensions' on the corners that are needed to fill out the gasket.

I had to use the LMC *single pane* gasket -with chrome locking strip- to get my replacement slider to seal in my truck.

It was a huge pita to sort this out and I'm sorry to hear you have to go through all this as well