Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Thanks, guys! As said, I didn't even plan to enter him, and parked on the street. But they insisted.

Had a really good conversation with Keith Dickson, Mr Fordification. We had similar experiences on another forum, which is why his and ours exist. And, we've both had significant and similar interactions with Bill/NumberDummy, although obviously I've spent time with Bill in my home.

Further, we are both trying to use the MPC to document our flavor of Ford trucks. And while we are ahead at this point, from what he told me his method may be preferable as it'll provide pages that the search engines can read where our pages are actually pictures of text and can't be read.

As I was pulling out they stopped me and asked if I could stay for a while and have dinner with them. Unfortunately I couldn't as I teach Bible class on Sundays and my lesson was no where near done. In fact, I literally just finished it. But, I'll contact them via email as I want to see what synergies we can develop between us.

That’s great Gary! I’m glad you got a chance to meet Keith in person and hopefully exchange some good ideas in the future! Sounds like it was a fun event 🙂

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's been a bit since I've last posted. Work, one kid back from school, & another headed out to school have put any major projects on hold.

This past week I finally found a bit of time and decided to start to tackle getting my cab's plastics the same color. Between 36 years of environmental exposure & panel swaps, I have at least 3 shades of blue in the cab. I decided to start with the door panels to see how I liked the finished product before I go on to pull the dash and pillar trim.

I knew my doors were likely replacement parts since the speaker grills are not integrated into the panel, & I decided to split the color scheme to tie the saddle/tan seat cover I installed earlier this year, and drill the panel for a chrome trim ring set I pulled from the junk yard a while back.

While I was at it, I installed some sound barrier in the door itself, disassembled the door lock and latch mechanisms and pushed some vinyl tubing over the rods that bang against the door and each-other, and hung some jute behind the panels after attaching a new vapor barrier. (A big thanks to Pete for a few photos on how the factory jute was hung.)

The result is the doors now sound a few orders less hollow and the color is growing on me over the 3 tones of blue I'm starting with.

Before & After:

IMG954217.jpg.744eeb588b1ba41119e73cb512301ac2.jpg

IMG954214.thumb.jpg.1c361b72f009057738e23a007bbfe48b.jpg

I used Colorbond (the LMC mix of Ford blue and "saddle") for the refinish with a medium gloss UV resistant clear coat.

It's been a bit since I've last posted. Work, one kid back from school, & another headed out to school have put any major projects on hold.

This past week I finally found a bit of time and decided to start to tackle getting my cab's plastics the same color. Between 36 years of environmental exposure & panel swaps, I have at least 3 shades of blue in the cab. I decided to start with the door panels to see how I liked the finished product before I go on to pull the dash and pillar trim.

I knew my doors were likely replacement parts since the speaker grills are not integrated into the panel, & I decided to split the color scheme to tie the saddle/tan seat cover I installed earlier this year, and drill the panel for a chrome trim ring set I pulled from the junk yard a while back.

While I was at it, I installed some sound barrier in the door itself, disassembled the door lock and latch mechanisms and pushed some vinyl tubing over the rods that bang against the door and each-other, and hung some jute behind the panels after attaching a new vapor barrier. (A big thanks to Pete for a few photos on how the factory jute was hung.)

The result is the doors now sound a few orders less hollow and the color is growing on me over the 3 tones of blue I'm starting with.

Before & After:

I used Colorbond (the LMC mix of Ford blue and "saddle") for the refinish with a medium gloss UV resistant clear coat.

Well done, Mark! :nabble_smiley_good:

Good idea on the tubing as I was thinking yesterday that I need to do something about the linkage rattles. (I'm amazed that I've gotten it quiet enough that I can hear those rattles.)

What sound barrier did you use?

Well done, Mark! :nabble_smiley_good:

Good idea on the tubing as I was thinking yesterday that I need to do something about the linkage rattles. (I'm amazed that I've gotten it quiet enough that I can hear those rattles.)

What sound barrier did you use?

There are so many choices and tribal lore on different types, I would have pretty much picked anything I saw someone had good experience with. By chance I stopped in at a business called Quiet Ride Solutions in Stockton on my way back from bringing my son home from school They were great about explaining what they sell- AcoustiShield- and I took home a couple of their door kits. When I do the floor in fall, I'll likely go with their kit then too.

I suppose my goal is to hear the little rattles, too!

Before & After:

Nice work! I think those are original door panels, as Pete was looking for a broken speaker grille for one like that and we discovered there was such a thing in late 1981 & 1982. What all came in the door kit besides the stick on sound deadener? What was the price if you don’t mind sharing?

There are so many choices and tribal lore on different types, I would have pretty much picked anything I saw someone had good experience with. By chance I stopped in at a business called Quiet Ride Solutions in Stockton on my way back from bringing my son home from school They were great about explaining what they sell- AcoustiShield- and I took home a couple of their door kits. When I do the floor in fall, I'll likely go with their kit then too.

I suppose my goal is to hear the little rattles, too!

Their site is here: http://www.quietride.com/acoustishield.html

And here's the 80-86 truck page: http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~partsort~1~cadefjdx. But I don't see a door kit, so it must be a generic kit rather than specific.

And here's the 80-86 truck page: http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~partsort~1~cadefjdx. But I don't see a door kit, so it must be a generic kit rather than specific.

Yes, the door kits are generic, and include 3 strips for each door of the sound mitigation strips (the strips appeared to be the dynomat premium, not their heat and acoustic damper) . Not cheap at $60, but they earned the premium.

I did a bit to Darth when I redid the interior. A friend had just finished insulating his house in Charlotte County VA and asked if I wanted the leftover insulation. That and the later door panels have an insulation pad in them. With the newer weatherstrip and new strikers on the doors, much quieter. Other benefit was the reduction in heat from the exhaust coming into the cab.

Left side front

Left_side_front.thumb.jpg.addfb2fb45c556de8d41e6250ff75c9b.jpg

Right_front_footwell.thumb.jpg.2869853d55e8ced35afa78b706f06a19.jpg

Rear_floor.thumb.jpg.64c1368e9b355b3f3a695d44c375d493.jpg

Extra_insulation_over_exhaust.thumb.jpg.dd8b587684476b2ddb408be790752af1.jpg

I did a bit to Darth when I redid the interior. A friend had just finished insulating his house in Charlotte County VA and asked if I wanted the leftover insulation. That and the later door panels have an insulation pad in them. With the newer weatherstrip and new strikers on the doors, much quieter. Other benefit was the reduction in heat from the exhaust coming into the cab.

Left side front

Right footwell

Rear floor

Extra over exhaust area

Bill - Two things. First, I gotta insulate Big Blue as the floor does get warm. But I think I'll probably use something purpose-built, like Acoustishield if Mark thinks it works for him.

Second, I need your expertise on plugs & jetting for Big Blue. Got to thinking on the drive home Saturday, after finding out that I was getting 11.2 MPG, that I might re-jet the Eddy or slip the Street Demon on to see if that would help. But today I pulled the plugs to see how they look after coming straight in off the highway. They aren't as dark as I thought they'd be and I doubt I should lean things up. But, what do you think?

Plugs 1 (left) to 4:

Plugs_1_-_4_on_061118.thumb.jpg.96568c5cdd9b37e4af45c51546494fa9.jpg

And plugs 8 (left) to 5:

Plugs_8_-_5_on_061118.thumb.jpg.12cbb3e6c8cf3742a91081ee6e897778.jpg

While I had the plugs out I decided to replace them, so went down to see DeWayne/93F3507.3 at Skiatook Auto Parts. He didn't have the Motorcraft ASF 42P's that were in it, but we both agreed that it doesn't need the platinum plugs, so he sold me Autolite 25's, which are copper-cored. I installed those, although I cross-threaded one and had to go back to get another. :nabble_smiley_blush:

And, I checked the timing - right on 10 BTDC.

So, is there any benefit to leaning the Eddy? Unfortunately it looks like I'd have to swap the jets as well as the rods, so it is more work than just swapping rods or springs. Or, I could try the Street Demon, which might be cool to try. (Cool. Get it? Polymer bowl. :nabble_smiley_cool:)

Bill - Two things. First, I gotta insulate Big Blue as the floor does get warm. But I think I'll probably use something purpose-built, like Acoustishield if Mark thinks it works for him.

Second, I need your expertise on plugs & jetting for Big Blue. Got to thinking on the drive home Saturday, after finding out that I was getting 11.2 MPG, that I might re-jet the Eddy or slip the Street Demon on to see if that would help. But today I pulled the plugs to see how they look after coming straight in off the highway. They aren't as dark as I thought they'd be and I doubt I should lean things up. But, what do you think?

Plugs 1 (left) to 4:

And plugs 8 (left) to 5:

While I had the plugs out I decided to replace them, so went down to see DeWayne/93F3507.3 at Skiatook Auto Parts. He didn't have the Motorcraft ASF 42P's that were in it, but we both agreed that it doesn't need the platinum plugs, so he sold me Autolite 25's, which are copper-cored. I installed those, although I cross-threaded one and had to go back to get another. :nabble_smiley_blush:

And, I checked the timing - right on 10 BTDC.

So, is there any benefit to leaning the Eddy? Unfortunately it looks like I'd have to swap the jets as well as the rods, so it is more work than just swapping rods or springs. Or, I could try the Street Demon, which might be cool to try. (Cool. Get it? Polymer bowl. :nabble_smiley_cool:)

Plugs look a bit puzzling, 1 and 3 are a little dark as are 7 and 8, 6 looks lean electrodes look like they have been a little hot. I would say drop a heat range on the plugs to a ASF 32 plug then see what they look like. Question, are both advance parts working correctly, mechanical not coming in way fast and vacuum not leaking or sticking? If I could get a solid 10 with a C6 and 6400 lbs of dual rear wheel truck, 11.2 with a 4 speed (less loss) even with the 4WD crap is a bit disappointing.

I would definitely check the distributor advance, if you have an adjustable timing light it can be done in the engine.

On the insulation, I think it is dynamat if I remember correctly.

If the plugs had been 1,4,5,6 or 2,3,7,8 dark, I would have said check your rods, jets and float levels on an AFB. Do you know which is the bad cylinder? Depending on the reason that might also explain some of the plug coloring.