Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

I think you'll like the radiator. My 4-row Champion does a great job.

But maybe the flares are messed up on the cooler lines? That's a bummer. But if you use hose you might want to make sure you use the right hose. IIRC there is a special hose for tranny coolers as the oil gets very hot.

There are unions on the lines that someone might have added. Couldn’t get them apart, had to take the lines and unions off together.

You can tell someone had vise grips on one line.

Edit, the unions are leaking.

There are unions on the lines that someone might have added. Couldn’t get them apart, had to take the lines and unions off together.

You can tell someone had vise grips on one line.

Edit, the unions are leaking.

I put this on my project thread, but more ppl will likely see it here. New front shocks! Made a world of difference. If your truck acts random, might want to try new shocks. I used Gabriel Ultras.

IMG_20210717_121659874.jpg.172f037cca83a10e6f473310488d91ab.jpg

And a "craigslist rebuild", i.e. can of spray paint.

I put this on my project thread, but more ppl will likely see it here. New front shocks! Made a world of difference. If your truck acts random, might want to try new shocks. I used Gabriel Ultras.

Nice sir! I have Monroes on Darth, but my 1966 Shelby had Gabriel adjustable shocks as OEM. My choice of the Monroes is two fold, one is lifetime warranty, two is part of my retirement comes from Tenneco and Monroe, Walker and some others are it's source so buying those products helps ensure my retirement funding.

I haven't done anything on Darth since I replaced the battery with a nice new Motorcraft group 65 from the local dealer. What I have been doing on a Ford truck is on my 2009 Flex Limited. We were on our way Thursday to an appointment for Mary in it when the AC shut off cooling and the temperature warning light popped on. We were maybe 300 yds from a place I could safely pull over on US13 so I continued to that side road. The check engine light came on and I could feel the engine saving program activate (cuts 1/2 of the cylinders off, then after a bit will switch to the other half. Got off US13, into the 84 Lumber parking area. I opened the hood expecting to see evidence of the water pump having failed as it is internal on these and has a tell tale hole above the alternator. No visible sign, but lots of antifreeze smell, no sign of problems anywhere you could see.

Got AAA to tow it to the house. Mary had called a friend to pick her up and get her to her appointment, I had tried to get our neighbor but got no answer. I called her cousin (the one who did the garage floor) to come get me (I knew I would get a ration from him regarding Fords) so I could get the 2011 Flex and fetch Mary after her appointment.

Friday I started the WTF happened on the 09 Flex. Put water in the expansion tank and after a bit I saw it running out of the heater hose nest behind the engine. After removing the cowl grille and lower sections and the shock tower brace I could see it was coming from a cracked plastic Tee. As I started to remove the offending portion the other tee broke. This vehicle (and the 11 Flex) has the dual HVAC units, one front and one in the LR quarter for overhead air grilles so the hoses have to feed two heater cores. The lines are "permanently" attached to the tees by plastic collars. My original plan was to get all 6 hoses off and use two parts store tees and 6 clamps to replicate the original assembly. I had looked at a Fords parts source on-line and found it show "discontinued". I called Preston Ford in Keller and spoke with the parts/service manager. He asked for the last 8 of the VIN, and said it comes as an assembly, both sides included for $66.50, needless to say I asked him to order it. It will be here Monday.

Nice sir! I have Monroes on Darth, but my 1966 Shelby had Gabriel adjustable shocks as OEM. My choice of the Monroes is two fold, one is lifetime warranty, two is part of my retirement comes from Tenneco and Monroe, Walker and some others are it's source so buying those products helps ensure my retirement funding.

I haven't done anything on Darth since I replaced the battery with a nice new Motorcraft group 65 from the local dealer. What I have been doing on a Ford truck is on my 2009 Flex Limited. We were on our way Thursday to an appointment for Mary in it when the AC shut off cooling and the temperature warning light popped on. We were maybe 300 yds from a place I could safely pull over on US13 so I continued to that side road. The check engine light came on and I could feel the engine saving program activate (cuts 1/2 of the cylinders off, then after a bit will switch to the other half. Got off US13, into the 84 Lumber parking area. I opened the hood expecting to see evidence of the water pump having failed as it is internal on these and has a tell tale hole above the alternator. No visible sign, but lots of antifreeze smell, no sign of problems anywhere you could see.

Got AAA to tow it to the house. Mary had called a friend to pick her up and get her to her appointment, I had tried to get our neighbor but got no answer. I called her cousin (the one who did the garage floor) to come get me (I knew I would get a ration from him regarding Fords) so I could get the 2011 Flex and fetch Mary after her appointment.

Friday I started the WTF happened on the 09 Flex. Put water in the expansion tank and after a bit I saw it running out of the heater hose nest behind the engine. After removing the cowl grille and lower sections and the shock tower brace I could see it was coming from a cracked plastic Tee. As I started to remove the offending portion the other tee broke. This vehicle (and the 11 Flex) has the dual HVAC units, one front and one in the LR quarter for overhead air grilles so the hoses have to feed two heater cores. The lines are "permanently" attached to the tees by plastic collars. My original plan was to get all 6 hoses off and use two parts store tees and 6 clamps to replicate the original assembly. I had looked at a Fords parts source on-line and found it show "discontinued". I called Preston Ford in Keller and spoke with the parts/service manager. He asked for the last 8 of the VIN, and said it comes as an assembly, both sides included for $66.50, needless to say I asked him to order it. It will be here Monday.

Wow Bill. I'm glad you were able to safely get the Flex off the road in limp mode! :nabble_smiley_good:

It really seems that even a decade ago nothing was made to be serviced.

Complete assemblies buried deep in the back of the engine bay....

I shudder to think how much that repair would cost at the dealer (if they didn't just say NLA, and shrug it off)

You're very fortunate to have a helpful parts manager at Preston Ford.

New shocks are always nice, Randy!

I'm glad ole blue is riding better now. :nabble_smiley_cool:

A lick of fresh paint 'while you're in there' never hurts, and makes it a lot nicer to work on these old trucks.

Wow, Bill! That doesn't sound like fun. :nabble_smiley_scared:

But apparently the electronics can save the engine in a situation like that, which is great. But maybe they need that kind of electronics due to the plastic tees?

Anyway, glad you got it home ok and everyone is safe.

Wow, Bill! That doesn't sound like fun. :nabble_smiley_scared:

But apparently the electronics can save the engine in a situation like that, which is great. But maybe they need that kind of electronics due to the plastic tees?

Anyway, glad you got it home ok and everyone is safe.

Gary, it is basically the same engine, less turbos as Blue has. 3.5L DOHC V6. As far as I know the loss of coolant and heat up of the metal parts triggers a limp mode where it probably alternates banks (the V6 engines generally fire alternate banks) Firing order is 142536, where 123 are rear bank and 456 front. so in the limp mode it will fire 1-2-3 and the after a bit switch to 4-5-6 to keep from over heating either bank. Idea is to get safely off the road.

Once it had cooled down it started right up on all 6. Wrecker driver drove it up on the rollback, leveled the deck and secured it. When he got to the house, he lowered the deck, unstrapped and drove it off and into the drive. I wasn't real happy finding the plastic tees. The hoses are pushed over the legs and are retained with plastic collars on the 3 hoses. I will post a picture of the new part when I get it.

Gary, it is basically the same engine, less turbos as Blue has. 3.5L DOHC V6. As far as I know the loss of coolant and heat up of the metal parts triggers a limp mode where it probably alternates banks (the V6 engines generally fire alternate banks) Firing order is 142536, where 123 are rear bank and 456 front. so in the limp mode it will fire 1-2-3 and the after a bit switch to 4-5-6 to keep from over heating either bank. Idea is to get safely off the road.

Once it had cooled down it started right up on all 6. Wrecker driver drove it up on the rollback, leveled the deck and secured it. When he got to the house, he lowered the deck, unstrapped and drove it off and into the drive. I wasn't real happy finding the plastic tees. The hoses are pushed over the legs and are retained with plastic collars on the 3 hoses. I will post a picture of the new part when I get it.

Our Suburban has plastic Y’s for the rear heat. One or two can’t remember.

Next time I get down there I need to put in brass or something.

With the rear air and heat, hydroboost brakes, power steering, oil cooler and tranny cooler. There’s more lines in there than you can shake a stick at.

Our Suburban has plastic Y’s for the rear heat. One or two can’t remember.

Next time I get down there I need to put in brass or something.

With the rear air and heat, hydroboost brakes, power steering, oil cooler and tranny cooler. There’s more lines in there than you can shake a stick at.

Been battling the new carpet for Elyza. What a nightmare trying to line it all up.

It is too hot here today to argue further. The battle will continue tomorrow.