Bullnose Forum

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

I'm not sure where my reply to Gary about his cam turned into a wall of text about intake manifolds, but whatever..

I also can't say much about stock cast iron intakes for the 302.

The one in my '85 GT didn't last any longer than the 4180, but that was long ago and I was a different person at 20 something than I am now.

I put the rear bumper back on my truck yesterday, after rattle canning the lower rear corners of the bed so I don't have to remove it for paint.

Hopefully I can find some time to wet sand and shoot the rest of it soon.

My tailgate letters are here but the new emblems are on a slow boat from China.

I'm going to need a hand to get the rack off if I want to paint the cab roof.

Its about matching the cam to your intended rpm range and not lugging the engine down but it goes further than just the cam you have to match the intake to the cam as well. Pointless having a high rise intake that works best at an rpm range outside of the rpm range of the cam you are using.

Basically everything has to be paired together properly to ensure max efficency which also translates into power and fuel economy. Just like how its counter productive to raise your final axle ratio to bring the engine rpm down on the highway taking the engine out of its most efficient rpm range. just about all engines have 2,500 rpm as the ideal highway rpm for being efficient but aftermarket it can be anything.

Been looking for the last few years and finally sourced a NOS grill oval and not a NOS revised oval but an original non revised oval under the part number E2TZ-98425258-A with the clear plastic cover that goes over the whole emblem that was prone to hazing and discoloration of the blue.

Willing to take the risk on it as I think it looks more fitting on my '82 than the revised unit that came out in '87. Plus this one was only $30 with free shipping.

Been looking for the last few years and finally sourced a NOS grill oval and not a NOS revised oval but an original non revised oval under the part number E2TZ-98425258-A with the clear plastic cover that goes over the whole emblem that was prone to hazing and discoloration of the blue.

Willing to take the risk on it as I think it looks more fitting on my '82 than the revised unit that came out in '87. Plus this one was only $30 with free shipping.

I wasn't aware that there are differences. Do you have pictures? I'm curious.

Sure there are differences.

This is my original emblem which shows the clear outer shell that covers the chrome of the emblem.

20150403_172209_(2).jpg.02420191dd8f95da45906b72267863f9.jpg

This is the one I bought that has the E2TZ design date code.

E2TZ-9842528-A_Grill_Emblem.thumb.jpg.f855e140aed037dc2a77001bb78a5376.jpg

If you look to the left you can see the glare that shows it has a clear plastic shell covering the chrome as well as the colored part just like my original emblem.

Below is two photos of the redesigned E7TZ-9842528-A sans plastic shell. The chrome ring is exposed with the chrome and blue insert being covered. The color of the blue is also a bit darker as well than the E2TZ as well which is a big reason why I will risk the discoloration as I like the lighter blue over the almost black dark blue of the revised version introduced in 1987. If you look where the blue and chrome meet you can see a gap which you dont see on the E2TZ design.

41BkFRIKxL.jpg.e3df5a696fd57551476853790af0b5a1.jpg

F87Z-9842528-CA.thumb.jpg.76d26cac16eb5c38f849264f94a000fc.jpg

I heard the reason for the redesign was due to the hazing and discoloration of the blue.

Sure there are differences.

This is my original emblem which shows the clear outer shell that covers the chrome of the emblem.

This is the one I bought that has the E2TZ design date code.

If you look to the left you can see the glare that shows it has a clear plastic shell covering the chrome as well as the colored part just like my original emblem.

Below is two photos of the redesigned E7TZ-9842528-A sans plastic shell. The chrome ring is exposed with the chrome and blue insert being covered. The color of the blue is also a bit darker as well than the E2TZ as well which is a big reason why I will risk the discoloration as I like the lighter blue over the almost black dark blue of the revised version introduced in 1987. If you look where the blue and chrome meet you can see a gap which you dont see on the E2TZ design.

I heard the reason for the redesign was due to the hazing and discoloration of the blue.

Thanks for clearing that up. I wasn't aware of the differences. :nabble_smiley_good:

Thanks for clearing that up. I wasn't aware of the differences. :nabble_smiley_good:

No problem, most people I noticed dont know about the differences mainly because once the '87 production emblems came out thats all you could get and lots of trucks out there use the '87 revised emblem.

Only thing I cant decide on is the grill itself. Argent silver was what my truck came with originally and would be correct. Chrome from the parts and illustration guide was a option for 82/83. Black wasnt an option till after 83.

Part of me dont like the argent silver and I like the idea of chrome but I feel it may be too much chrome with my chrome pushbar/grill guard. I thought about black but not sure how a black grill with everything else on the front being chrome.

No problem, most people I noticed dont know about the differences mainly because once the '87 production emblems came out thats all you could get and lots of trucks out there use the '87 revised emblem.

Only thing I cant decide on is the grill itself. Argent silver was what my truck came with originally and would be correct. Chrome from the parts and illustration guide was a option for 82/83. Black wasnt an option till after 83.

Part of me dont like the argent silver and I like the idea of chrome but I feel it may be too much chrome with my chrome pushbar/grill guard. I thought about black but not sure how a black grill with everything else on the front being chrome.

Hey I'm with ya on deciding what color to do on the grilled and headlights surrounds. Black feels like too much and argent and too little.

Hey I'm with ya on deciding what color to do on the grilled and headlights surrounds. Black feels like too much and argent and too little.

Yep for me I like the chrome headlight surrounds with black trim. But the argent grill with black trim just looks bland. The chrome can be had with argent trim or black trim and if I go chrome I would probably go with the black trim. But the black grill looks like it would have a more aggressive look. But then my KC apollo driving lights are black plastic housings which would blend in with a all black grill.

Either way I go it just has draw backs and positives.

Yep for me I like the chrome headlight surrounds with black trim. But the argent grill with black trim just looks bland. The chrome can be had with argent trim or black trim and if I go chrome I would probably go with the black trim. But the black grill looks like it would have a more aggressive look. But then my KC apollo driving lights are black plastic housings which would blend in with a all black grill.Either way I go it just has draw backs and positives.
Today was welding the new arches in. Not too bad for non professionals

image0.jpeg.8a141e83ab79c4013482e15ee0424ea2.jpeg

I got tired of listening to my exhaust leak so yesterday I replaced the intake/exhaust gasket on my truck and today I replaced the exhaust donut gasket. I also rebuilt the old YF carb with a kit from Mike's Carbs.

A quiet exhaust is always nice Frank. :nabble_smiley_good:

I noticed a couple of sooty spots where I welded the flanges on the front of my school bus muffler.

I'm almost afraid to get the welder out, because rust just eats right through solid material when you go to weld it.

Maybe I should pick up a brazing rod or two?

I was hoping to get some paint on my bed today but the pollen is really bad and a buddy asked me if I can give him a hand dismantling a garage.