Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Even a 275 gallon IBC tote is well over a ton of water.

Maybe that's pushing the boundaries of an '81 F-150 a little?

It's certainly pushing the bounds of 5 lug 15" rims and C rated tires. 😯

It is pushing the boundaries... but not nearly as bad as you often see in my area. My door jamb sticker says 6,100 lb GVWR. At the landfill scale my truck weighs in at 4,200 lbs with a full tank of gas and me in it. So my payload is about 1,900 lbs. 275 gallons of water is 2,200 plus another 100 lbs for the tote. That puts me at 400 lbs over the GVWR. Also note my rims are 16” and I run load range E 235/85R16’s like I did on my F250’s and F350. I keep my speed down and stay off any main roads with that amount of weight, mostly because of braking power and handling.

Gary, the F Superduty should finally be at the top of the short list in about another month. As I have shared with you via email, all of my efforts have been going into our house plans, and the research and engineering footwork is extremely intense. I want to get this wrapped up and blueprints submitted ASAP so I can (hopefully) get the foundation dug before it gets truly hot. After many, many hours on the phone with my dad and brother in law I think I have a good path forward with my unusual crawl space and load bearing wall headers that have been confounding me. I’m headed to the county office this morning with some final questions before committing the plans to the 18x24 architectural sheets that I ordered. I’m going to want the big F for both water hauling and building materials. The little F150 is capable but just not the right tool for the job.

Jonathan - I understand the need to finalize the plans first. Glad you are essentially there. Hope that goes well.

And I hope getting the SuperDuty going is easier than you think. :nabble_smiley_good:

I didn't realize you could get 16's on a 150, but maybe you have aftermarket rims or made your 4wd conversion from a 250/350 truck?

Anyway, glad no one was hurt and the Big F is in the batter's box for your upcoming project! :nabble_smiley_good:

Jim, these are indeed aftermarket rims. I tried to find a set of the 1960’s-1970’s OEM five lug 16’s but no luck. I’ve been really happy with these. The durability of the paint has been marginal as I was warned it would be... but I really like them and they are stout.

David, I have not heard of the Maypop brand before, I guess BaldEagle is more common in my area 🙃

Gary, I will start a project thread about my house like we talked about, for those who wish to follow along with what I am doing, and the F Superduty thread should be getting updates before too long...

Jim, these are indeed aftermarket rims. I tried to find a set of the 1960’s-1970’s OEM five lug 16’s but no luck. I’ve been really happy with these. The durability of the paint has been marginal as I was warned it would be... but I really like them and they are stout.

David, I have not heard of the Maypop brand before, I guess BaldEagle is more common in my area 🙃

Gary, I will start a project thread about my house like we talked about, for those who wish to follow along with what I am doing, and the F Superduty thread should be getting updates before too long...

I would have thought rims would be 16.5" that far back.

I've got a couple of Wheel Vintiques steelies

They came powder coated black and it was a bear to scuff them up so I could paint them grey.

I guess the limiting factor in your case is five skinny studs or the small brakes on a 150.

But I'm glad to hear the burro has been serving you well, Jonathan! :nabble_smiley_cool:

I would have thought rims would be 16.5" that far back.

I've got a couple of Wheel Vintiques steelies

They came powder coated black and it was a bear to scuff them up so I could paint them grey.

I guess the limiting factor in your case is five skinny studs or the small brakes on a 150.

But I'm glad to hear the burro has been serving you well, Jonathan! :nabble_smiley_cool:

I know that WAY back Jeep used some 16" rims on a 5x5.5 bolt pattern. They were for taller (but still skinny) tires than they had on 15" rims. Also more brake clearance. I didn't know that Ford had them, but if someone was using them I wouldn't be shocked if it crossed brands.

I think the 16.5" rims were usually (always?) for heavier tires for 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. I wouldn't expect to find those with a 5x5.5 pattern.

I know that WAY back Jeep used some 16" rims on a 5x5.5 bolt pattern. They were for taller (but still skinny) tires than they had on 15" rims. Also more brake clearance. I didn't know that Ford had them, but if someone was using them I wouldn't be shocked if it crossed brands.

I think the 16.5" rims were usually (always?) for heavier tires for 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. I wouldn't expect to find those with a 5x5.5 pattern.

My dad’s 1966 F100 flareside truck had the 5 lug 16’s. They were not common but they did exist. His truck came from a US Forest Service auction, and it had been special ordered by the district Ranger. If only we had kept those wheels before the truck was scrapped (severe rust cancer). The white spoke wheels are just fine though, and allow me to run the desired tires.

Even a 275 gallon IBC tote is well over a ton of water.

Maybe that's pushing the boundaries of an '81 F-150 a little?

It's certainly pushing the bounds of 5 lug 15" rims and C rated tires. 😯

It is pushing the boundaries... but not nearly as bad as you often see in my area. My door jamb sticker says 6,100 lb GVWR. At the landfill scale my truck weighs in at 4,200 lbs with a full tank of gas and me in it. So my payload is about 1,900 lbs. 275 gallons of water is 2,200 plus another 100 lbs for the tote. That puts me at 400 lbs over the GVWR. Also note my rims are 16” and I run load range E 235/85R16’s like I did on my F250’s and F350. I keep my speed down and stay off any main roads with that amount of weight, mostly because of braking power and handling.

Gary, the F Superduty should finally be at the top of the short list in about another month. As I have shared with you via email, all of my efforts have been going into our house plans, and the research and engineering footwork is extremely intense. I want to get this wrapped up and blueprints submitted ASAP so I can (hopefully) get the foundation dug before it gets truly hot. After many, many hours on the phone with my dad and brother in law I think I have a good path forward with my unusual crawl space and load bearing wall headers that have been confounding me. I’m headed to the county office this morning with some final questions before committing the plans to the 18x24 architectural sheets that I ordered. I’m going to want the big F for both water hauling and building materials. The little F150 is capable but just not the right tool for the job.

Ive been wondering about the water truck build as well.

Glad you were ok and at slow speed when the tire went. I should be putting new tires on by summer...

Ive been wondering about the water truck build as well.

Glad you were ok and at slow speed when the tire went. I should be putting new tires on by summer...

Picked up a factory tach last night for $20 from a guy junking some trucks. I didn’t really need it but for $20 it’s worth having as a spare.

21E46B36-2839-4FFF-90B8-5A943D9EB1F5.jpeg.52a822e2c4f49bbaa974a2643da8d8f5.jpeg