Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

I played around with the shifter a little bit this afternoon. I removed it and I could see and feel a burr on the shoulder where I had been grinding, so I took off just a shade more and tried to smooth out some roughness to the ball. It was perhaps a little better, but not much difference. Mind you it did not shift horribly, I have definitely dealt with trucks that shifted much worse... but it still wasn't like the original shifter. It has a little something there when you go from 1st to 2nd, especially if you over-rev, but it is still smooth. The international shifter kind of pops in. I don't like it. The T19 already shifts less well than before the fluid change, and any decrease in shifting smoothness is unacceptable. So the original shifter stays for now...

Are you saying that it shifts worse with the new fluid and the old shifter than it did before?

My flareside was also missing the license bracket. I used one from a bullnose styleside bed. The mounting holes are the same distance apart as the flareside part, and it only took a slight amount of trimming to make it fit around the bumper bracket. The only thing that I'm not sure of is how weather proof it is, as the old style glass lens license lights were usually mounted under the box or under a bumper.

If you look under the left corner of the styleside box on many 1980-1992ish F-Series, you'll find a license bracket and lamp, because back then a rear bumper was an option.

One of these days, I'll remember to take a picture of mine and post it.

When you can I would like to see a picture.

I can tell you there was no such plate holder or light on my 81 style side parts truck or I would have found a way to make it work.

Heck I made the style side metal floor work in place of the flare side wood floor the holder & light would be easy!

Still waiting to see what all my brother found in the JY and is sending me beside the tail gate.

Dave ----

I can tell you there was no such plate holder or light on my 81 style side parts truck or I would have found a way to make it work.

Heck I made the style side metal floor work in place of the flare side wood floor the holder & light would be easy!

Still waiting to see what all my brother found in the JY and is sending me beside the tail gate.

Dave ----

Here ya go, FuzzFace!

1 & 2 - Before and after trimming the styleside bracket.

3 - Finished bracket installed (Sorry for the shameless advertising for my boss, but the truck doesn't have plates yet...

4 - Worm's eye view of the light.

20180311_184622.jpg.aca42bfd869a8ba19be962fb5a2c6539.jpg20180311_185512.jpg.badc1942f578d6caa98a7963a34a314b.jpg20180311_190051.jpg.adc987640cd86acd54987be378abbd07.jpg20180311_190155.jpg.6bfc01507b80241c6c7094c459cd6744.jpg

Are you saying that it shifts worse with the new fluid and the old shifter than it did before?

Yes. When it was behind the diesel it was the best shifting truck transmission I've ever owned. I loved it minus the lack of OD. When I pulled it I lost a lot of the fluid, so when it went into the F150 I drained it and filled it with some kind of synthetic oil. I think it was just a house brand from Autozone. Now it does not shift as well. It's a little rougher and a lot less tolerant if you don't rev match. It's less tolerant of cold as well. Needs to get warmed up to shift right where it never did that before. I need to try a different oil.

Dave ----

Here ya go, FuzzFace!

3 - Finished bracket installed (Sorry for the shameless advertising for my boss, but the truck doesn't have plates yet...

20180311_184622.jpg20180311_185512.jpg20180311_190051.jpg20180311_190155.jpg

Thanks for the reply.

My parts truck did not have the plate bracket. It had a step bumper and the plate bolted to it.

I am still waiting for the parts to show up. I hate to keep bugging my brother to get me the parts as he is sending them free of charge.

Dave ----

Dave ----

Here ya go, FuzzFace!

20180311_184622.jpg20180311_185512.jpg20180311_190051.jpg20180311_190155.jpg

Thanks for the reply.

My parts truck did not have the plate bracket. It had a step bumper and the plate bolted to it.

I am still waiting for the parts to show up. I hate to keep bugging my brother to get me the parts as he is sending them free of charge.

Dave ----

I spent some time on the fuel filler necks yesterday.

I had the 1 that came with the flare side (FS) truck but it looked like someone cut it up and replaced it with something else, hose & metal (exh.?) filler pipe to get the stock FS one to work and still using the door & plastic part behind the fender.

I also had the 2 from my parts truck, doors, plastic behind the body, necks & rubber hoses.

I was going to use the parts truck doors & plastic as they looked in better shape and ran into the first "road block" when trying to bolt the door/plastic to the stock mounting on the fender.

The door bolt spacing is farther apart on the FS than the style side (SS) door & plastic so I had to pull apart and clean up the FS door & plastic.

Once they were mounted I could then see what rubber hoses & necks would work for the front door/side tank.

It turned out I had to use the FS door/plastic with 1 of the SS necks and 1 of the metal flange rings, FS was missing it, and think 1 of the SS hoses and it should hook up with just a little trimming of the rubber hose.

I did have to drill new holes in the plastic as the neck and ring had to be turned to line up with the hose on the tank.

I did a trial fit of the rear filler neck and I think the other SS neck & hose will work but will not know till I get the door mounted and I cant do that till I get the fuel door assy. from my brother in CA that is also sending me a tail gate.

I also brought the hood in from out side so that will be the next to have body work done to it along with the 2 rear fenders.

It is getting closer to paint!

Dave ----

I spent some time on the fuel filler necks yesterday.

I had the 1 that came with the flare side (FS) truck but it looked like someone cut it up and replaced it with something else, hose & metal (exh.?) filler pipe to get the stock FS one to work and still using the door & plastic part behind the fender.

I also had the 2 from my parts truck, doors, plastic behind the body, necks & rubber hoses.

I was going to use the parts truck doors & plastic as they looked in better shape and ran into the first "road block" when trying to bolt the door/plastic to the stock mounting on the fender.

The door bolt spacing is farther apart on the FS than the style side (SS) door & plastic so I had to pull apart and clean up the FS door & plastic.

Once they were mounted I could then see what rubber hoses & necks would work for the front door/side tank.

It turned out I had to use the FS door/plastic with 1 of the SS necks and 1 of the metal flange rings, FS was missing it, and think 1 of the SS hoses and it should hook up with just a little trimming of the rubber hose.

I did have to drill new holes in the plastic as the neck and ring had to be turned to line up with the hose on the tank.

I did a trial fit of the rear filler neck and I think the other SS neck & hose will work but will not know till I get the door mounted and I cant do that till I get the fuel door assy. from my brother in CA that is also sending me a tail gate.

I also brought the hood in from out side so that will be the next to have body work done to it along with the 2 rear fenders.

It is getting closer to paint!

Dave ----

Dave - How much work do you have to do on the hood? Is that the last piece before paint? :nabble_anim_jump:

On the fuel doors, will you be documenting your findings in your thread? We need to capture what you find as that is a critical piece for the Flaresiders out there.

Dave - How much work do you have to do on the hood? Is that the last piece before paint? :nabble_anim_jump:

On the fuel doors, will you be documenting your findings in your thread? We need to capture what you find as that is a critical piece for the Flaresiders out there.

I caused more work on the hood because I removed the skin from the frame to hammer / dolly it and with the glue and prying it apart caused the more work.

I also have the 2 rear fenders to do body work to. Thing is I hate doing it so when I get into doing it it is an all day thing to get it done.

Last 2 days have been too cold, snow yesterday, to do Bondo work.

After my post on the doors I thought I should of taken pictures of what I found. It has to come apart again and will get pictures for documentation. I am also waiting for another door my brother is sending me from a flare side so can get pictures from it to.

Dave ----

I caused more work on the hood because I removed the skin from the frame to hammer / dolly it and with the glue and prying it apart caused the more work.

I also have the 2 rear fenders to do body work to. Thing is I hate doing it so when I get into doing it it is an all day thing to get it done.

Last 2 days have been too cold, snow yesterday, to do Bondo work.

After my post on the doors I thought I should of taken pictures of what I found. It has to come apart again and will get pictures for documentation. I am also waiting for another door my brother is sending me from a flare side so can get pictures from it to.

Dave ----

Sounds like a lot of work. :nabble_smiley_scared: Hope things work out well.

Sounds like a lot of work. :nabble_smiley_scared: Hope things work out well.

The wife helped me pull the seat out of the truck tonight while my son Hunter played with his truck in the bed. I got my seat cover installed minus the sides since they shorted me a couple strings. Looks pretty good though.

IMG_20180314_194642.jpg.4e032733c84b926f2cd8e518261ed78f.jpg

I also found the original build sheet under the seat. Took our time and removed it in as few pieces as possible. My wife is going to order some archival stuff and we are going to piece it back together and save it

IMG_20180314_192217.jpg.527ce55bb3848ed0c506b9c31ddfb250.jpg

IMG_20180314_195802.jpg.9803e8697d0dec79d4419d7a20877a1e.jpg

The wife helped me pull the seat out of the truck tonight while my son Hunter played with his truck in the bed. I got my seat cover installed minus the sides since they shorted me a couple strings. Looks pretty good though.

I also found the original build sheet under the seat. Took our time and removed it in as few pieces as possible. My wife is going to order some archival stuff and we are going to piece it back together and save it

Looking good!

As for the build sheet, I've attempted interpreting them here: Specifications/Build Sheet Interpretation. Not very comprehensive, but it might help.