Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Good afternoon all. I've been away from the site for a bit with travel and being laid up in bed upon my return. I finally got to spend a few minutes today on a few "little things" and wanted to share some information in case some reader finds it helpful:

Flareside rear light pods: Both of mine likely were original, and the cases cracked and letting moisture in, and I was constantly replacing bulbs. I spent some time on Grote's site, and found an all-function LED model with side markers and license plate light (for use with the bracket that hangs off the driver's side pod). I had previously fabbed a new harness for the rear wiring after yanking a PO's badly bodged trailer hook-up, so the install was pretty quick (they come blunt-cut, so you'll have to finish the connector). I priced the models out at Granger, LMC and NPD, and all were at least $20 more dear than Amazon. Here are the model #'s no matter where sourced:

Grote G5202 Hi Count LED Box Lamp (Right)

Grote G5212 Hi Count LED Box Lamp (left, with license light)

Fresh Air Duct (air filter housing to radiator support):

Mine long rotted, and I haven't been able to find an OEM source, so I took a chance on the offering from LMC. There are 2 choices, a 12" and 25 1/2 ". Although the 12 easily spanned the gap, the duct was too stiff to make the 90 degree twist between the mounts (Being in CA, I have to maintain a stock set up). The longer option mounted up nicely, and although seemed to be snug enough, I reinforced both connections with zip ties.

LMC Part # 43-3579 (25.5 inch)

20180304_152621.jpg.521a0393a43ac5bf24bed3e3ee10bf3f.jpg

Good afternoon all. I've been away from the site for a bit with travel and being laid up in bed upon my return. I finally got to spend a few minutes today on a few "little things" and wanted to share some information in case some reader finds it helpful:

Flareside rear light pods: Both of mine likely were original, and the cases cracked and letting moisture in, and I was constantly replacing bulbs. I spent some time on Grote's site, and found an all-function LED model with side markers and license plate light (for use with the bracket that hangs off the driver's side pod). I had previously fabbed a new harness for the rear wiring after yanking a PO's badly bodged trailer hook-up, so the install was pretty quick (they come blunt-cut, so you'll have to finish the connector). I priced the models out at Granger, LMC and NPD, and all were at least $20 more dear than Amazon. Here are the model #'s no matter where sourced:

Mine long rotted, and I haven't been able to find an OEM source, so I took a chance on the offering from LMC. There are 2 choices, a 12" and 25 1/2 ". Although the 12 easily spanned the gap, the duct was too stiff to make the 90 degree twist between the mounts (Being in CA, I have to maintain a stock set up). The longer option mounted up nicely, and although seemed to be snug enough, I reinforced both connections with zip ties.

Welcome back! Hope you are now well. And, thanks for the tips.

Welcome back! Hope you are now well. And, thanks for the tips.

Got to love rain, rain makes corn, corn makes........no I am not a singer but I played .........no no no!

Because of the rain we have had here yesterday and today I did not have work. Being I was getting over hurting my back I took yesterday off from working on the truck.

But did work on it today. I am mocking up the bed panels to the floor.

I had to rework the front header panel and both side panels so they could be bolted together. All of that was fitted when the floor was on horses but the big part, before the lips were replaced.

Once the front & side panels were bolted together I was able to line up the side panels to some holes on the floor so I could drill the rest of the holes for the side panels to floor.

20180302_163340.jpg.6181cdb99a4353f8788b2e96b2edd5ea.jpg

I still need to drill holes in the front panel to floor but being it is too close to the cab I cant get my hands in there. I am also thinking but need to see when I pull it apart again, I hope to use U-nuts on the floor side so I don't need to use normal nuts.

20180302_163653.jpg.b97b2d16da2af2b345505553cd4f1721.jpg

I also hope to use that same u-nut assy. on the side panels because 2 of the bolts are in a place I cant get nuts on them.

This is how I left the truck today.

20180302_163410.jpg.ffcc4c0c0a63a036f4721b56e31e6b68.jpg

20180302_163452.jpg.1e86d6b24933dc455f927f9daba2ba9e.jpg

Besides getting the bed mocked up it made room so I could move the truck over to get the parts truck frame out of the garage. It is being picked up tomorrow for a member as his is rotten really bad.

When waiting for the shipper to show up I will pull the bed off the trucks frame so I can see the header panel / floor to see if the U-nuts will work or not.

I also checked with my brother and he has not had time to ship out the tail gate and some other parts he went back for so some work may have to wait till I get the gate.

Dave ----

I should be getting the 2 stock flare side light brackets but told the lights them selves are NG so will need new ones. I have seen the LED ones on LMC but if I can find them cheaper then more money for other needed things!

On the filter hose what filter housing do you have or should I say what motor first as all the v8's use the round housings. The 300 six uses 2 different filter housings, L shape and the round type.

They say with out pictures it did not happen LOL

Dave ----

Got to love rain, rain makes corn, corn makes........no I am not a singer but I played .........no no no!

Because of the rain we have had here yesterday and today I did not have work. Being I was getting over hurting my back I took yesterday off from working on the truck.

But did work on it today. I am mocking up the bed panels to the floor.

I had to rework the front header panel and both side panels so they could be bolted together. All of that was fitted when the floor was on horses but the big part, before the lips were replaced.

Once the front & side panels were bolted together I was able to line up the side panels to some holes on the floor so I could drill the rest of the holes for the side panels to floor.

I still need to drill holes in the front panel to floor but being it is too close to the cab I cant get my hands in there. I am also thinking but need to see when I pull it apart again, I hope to use U-nuts on the floor side so I don't need to use normal nuts.

I also hope to use that same u-nut assy. on the side panels because 2 of the bolts are in a place I cant get nuts on them.

This is how I left the truck today.

Besides getting the bed mocked up it made room so I could move the truck over to get the parts truck frame out of the garage. It is being picked up tomorrow for a member as his is rotten really bad.

When waiting for the shipper to show up I will pull the bed off the trucks frame so I can see the header panel / floor to see if the U-nuts will work or not.

I also checked with my brother and he has not had time to ship out the tail gate and some other parts he went back for so some work may have to wait till I get the gate.

Dave ----

Wow! It really IS a truck! :nabble_smiley_good:

It really is looking good, and you are closing in on having it in paint. Well done!

I should be getting the 2 stock flare side light brackets but told the lights them selves are NG so will need new ones. I have seen the LED ones on LMC but if I can find them cheaper then more money for other needed things!

On the filter hose what filter housing do you have or should I say what motor first as all the v8's use the round housings. The 300 six uses 2 different filter housings, L shape and the round type.

They say with out pictures it did not happen LOL

Dave ----

Ha! I'll post a couple of pics tomorrow so you can see the fit, but it's the pie-hat round V8 set up.

If your set up can use the 12 inch, let me know and it's yours for shipping cost.

I'm happy with the lights. I would imagine all the sources stock the Grote, it's the only all-function LED model I've found. They're definitely brighter with both brakes and reverse. I do miss the warm "fade" of the incandescent signal, but luckily, I'm not driving behind my truck often...

Wow! It really IS a truck! :nabble_smiley_good:

It really is looking good, and you are closing in on having it in paint. Well done!

Thanks

A bed does make a truck. I almost don't want to pull it apart as I like it whole LOL

I am hoping between today & tomorrow to have the bed done other than the tail gate fitment.

Still don't know how I will get paint on the bed panels?

Factory looked to have it together as I found no paint under the washers of the bolts and I don't like that at all.

When I primed the sides I had them on horses and that will not work for painting.

I thought of hanging them but would not get paint at the "hook site". I would use bolt holes down low and hang upside down.

Then again I could "edge" the panels where they over lap, bolts/nuts are and the under side of the rolled lip of the bed sides. Then put it all together and then paint the whole thing.

Time will tell!

Dave ----

Ha! I'll post a couple of pics tomorrow so you can see the fit, but it's the pie-hat round V8 set up.

If your set up can use the 12 inch, let me know and it's yours for shipping cost.

I'm happy with the lights. I would imagine all the sources stock the Grote, it's the only all-function LED model I've found. They're definitely brighter with both brakes and reverse. I do miss the warm "fade" of the incandescent signal, but luckily, I'm not driving behind my truck often...

Thanks for the offer.

I don't know what I need yet as I have the "L" assy. on my 300 and there is a plastic part that fits to the radiator support, I don't have installed yet, that the hose connects to.

On the lights I need some. I have a set of them cheap trailer lights I am thinking of using with LED bulbs.

Thing is now that I have the factory brackets coming the trailer lights I don't think would bolt to them and would need to make an adaptor, don't want to mod the factory brackets.

Before the factory brackets I was going to make brackets to fit the trailer lights I have.

Other than head lights, they will use a relay harness, the rest of the bulbs will be LED's.

Do you have your plate under the left light or under the rear bed lip on the left side?

Dave ----

Thanks for the offer.

I don't know what I need yet as I have the "L" assy. on my 300 and there is a plastic part that fits to the radiator support, I don't have installed yet, that the hose connects to.

On the lights I need some. I have a set of them cheap trailer lights I am thinking of using with LED bulbs.

Thing is now that I have the factory brackets coming the trailer lights I don't think would bolt to them and would need to make an adaptor, don't want to mod the factory brackets.

Before the factory brackets I was going to make brackets to fit the trailer lights I have.

Other than head lights, they will use a relay harness, the rest of the bulbs will be LED's.

Do you have your plate under the left light or under the rear bed lip on the left side?

Dave ----

Dave, your project is really looking good. I'm enjoying the build progress.

The plate has been a challenge to get "right". Shortly after I purchased the truck, someone stole the factory plate holder with the illumination light that fit under the bumper on the body. i didn't realize what a gem of part it was until I tried to unsuccessfully source a replacement ( I did find one in rough shape in a yard that I posted pics of a while back, and it's free to anyone that might be able to fab a replica). For a while I used a couple pieces of flat stock to secure the plate in the same place. Then I tried this from an eBay find:

20171201_143844.jpg.da31288231d93dc9eec2edec4ce903f8.jpg

E4TZ-13406-A

It was close: It fit the original light pod brackets and the 3-bolt light pod well, but the plate itself was a bit too wide to clear the exterior bed side with the mounting holes, so I drilled a couple more and mounted the plate slightly offset to the left. It's not optimal, but will work until I find another hen's tooth original bracket or another solution.

20180303_102128.jpg.d0a3d666b3f588817149aa394d6ddc6d.jpg

20180303_102139.jpg.694ba4274c4dbb6f8f97326275b6df36.jpg

I've been told that ford ships trucks with another, longer light pod bracket that will fit our Flaresides, and that it will allow a plate bracket and license plate to fit and not extend past the flare of the fender. I've see a couple examples on eBay, but haven't had the beer money to try one with so many other things competing for attention. Here's one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/222325091475?ul_noapp=true

Dave, your project is really looking good. I'm enjoying the build progress.

The plate has been a challenge to get "right". Shortly after I purchased the truck, someone stole the factory plate holder with the illumination light that fit under the bumper on the body. i didn't realize what a gem of part it was until I tried to unsuccessfully source a replacement ( I did find one in rough shape in a yard that I posted pics of a while back, and it's free to anyone that might be able to fab a replica). For a while I used a couple pieces of flat stock to secure the plate in the same place. Then I tried this from an eBay find:

E4TZ-13406-A

It was close: It fit the original light pod brackets and the 3-bolt light pod well, but the plate itself was a bit too wide to clear the exterior bed side with the mounting holes, so I drilled a couple more and mounted the plate slightly offset to the left. It's not optimal, but will work until I find another hen's tooth original bracket or another solution.

I've been told that ford ships trucks with another, longer light pod bracket that will fit our Flaresides, and that it will allow a plate bracket and license plate to fit and not extend past the flare of the fender. I've see a couple examples on eBay, but haven't had the beer money to try one with so many other things competing for attention. Here's one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/222325091475?ul_noapp=true

Hmmm, I'll bet Ron/reamer steps up to the plate on that bracket. :nabble_smiley_cool: