Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Why even think about removal?

If you do want to take it out, just use a brass plug.

Bill - Hadn't thought about the manifolds glowing red, but they do. I've seen it. And, that's above the temp that Teflon tape melts - 500F. Ok, bad idea. Thanks.

Jim - Maybe I'll use a brass plug. From what I see brass melts at 1700ish, and red on a manifold should start around 900 degrees. Surely a manifold won't get to 1700?

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bill - Hadn't thought about the manifolds glowing red, but they do. I've seen it. And, that's above the temp that Teflon tape melts - 500F. Ok, bad idea. Thanks.

Jim - Maybe I'll use a brass plug. From what I see brass melts at 1700ish, and red on a manifold should start around 900 degrees. Surely a manifold won't get to 1700?

I use brass nuts to hold my head pipe flanges on the manifold studs.

(And I realize even the passenger side is farther from the port than this plug)

I've never had a problem.

Drained the T18 and refilled with synthetic gear oil. Shifts quite smoothly now. I imagine the old stuff was pretty old.

I'd be interested to know what you used also. When I did the 4x4 conversion on mine I changed the fluid and now it shifts poorly compared to before. I don't remember what I used, but I know it said synthetic.

I hear it more than before, but it was bolted to a straight piped diesel before so... but it definitely has to be speed matched to shift now, and can be really cranky in the cold. Sometimes hard to get in reverse also. It used to shift like butter and was the smoothest truck transmission I've ever had. I'm hoping a fluid change will get it back to what it was like when I pulled it out of the diesel.

Drained the T18 and refilled with synthetic gear oil. Shifts quite smoothly now. I imagine the old stuff was pretty old.

I'd be interested to know what you used also. When I did the 4x4 conversion on mine I changed the fluid and now it shifts poorly compared to before. I don't remember what I used, but I know it said synthetic.

I hear it more than before, but it was bolted to a straight piped diesel before so... but it definitely has to be speed matched to shift now, and can be really cranky in the cold. Sometimes hard to get in reverse also. It used to shift like butter and was the smoothest truck transmission I've ever had. I'm hoping a fluid change will get it back to what it was like when I pulled it out of the diesel.

I used O'Reillys house brand synthetic gear oil. 75w90. It was about $12 a quart. I bought 4 and used a little over 3. The oil is clear, btw. Not brown or yellow, clear, like Karo syrup :)

I can't hear anything different, but my ears work very poorly, and there is so much noise from the tires there is no way for me o know if it got quieter as well.

I used O'Reillys house brand synthetic gear oil. 75w90. It was about $12 a quart. I bought 4 and used a little over 3. The oil is clear, btw. Not brown or yellow, clear, like Karo syrup :)

I can't hear anything different, but my ears work very poorly, and there is so much noise from the tires there is no way for me o know if it got quieter as well.

Thanks. That's good to know.

Does it smell like gear oil?