Bullnose Forum

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Yea he definatly has a drinking problem. He'll be going to the truck liquor store shortly.

Brutus is not even in the same league as 'Lil Red and Big Blue. It takes a really, REALLY bad tune to get a 4.9L even close to the kind of MPG a 7.5L turns in.

But, at least Brutus is going to have clean fuel as he sips. :nabble_smiley_good:

Brutus is not even in the same league as 'Lil Red and Big Blue. It takes a really, REALLY bad tune to get a 4.9L even close to the kind of MPG a 7.5L turns in.

But, at least Brutus is going to have clean fuel as he sips. :nabble_smiley_good:

Oh trust me Gary, i'm not complaining. As kids and what we had to drive when we got our licenses was my dads 72 Continental with a 460, believe me i know. I dragged raced that car and burned a tank of fuel

In all honesty, Brutus always got 11 mpg no matter ac, no ac, up hill, down hill, it got 11. Since i did the smog work it looks like he is getting in the neighborhood of 13

Oh trust me Gary, i'm not complaining. As kids and what we had to drive when we got our licenses was my dads 72 Continental with a 460, believe me i know. I dragged raced that car and burned a tank of fuel

In all honesty, Brutus always got 11 mpg no matter ac, no ac, up hill, down hill, it got 11. Since i did the smog work it looks like he is getting in the neighborhood of 13

If you are only getting 13 then there is a good chance you could get 15 with a bit of tuning. And probably more.

If you are only getting 13 then there is a good chance you could get 15 with a bit of tuning. And probably more.

I'm just guessing right now at 13. I know when he bought the truck new it got 11, when i took all the smog stuff off i noticed a significant increase. Now that i did even more work to it, it maybe getting more. We haven't really had it on the road long enough to tell.

I'll also have a better idea since the sender and the tank match now. Brutus's original tank was 23 gallon and the sender went out, and true to form, there is no sending unit for a 23 gallon tank, only a 19. We used that for a while knowing we had to buy a fuel tank and just left it alone so about 4 gallons of gas would sit in the bottom of the tank and near the top is rusted, so i kept very little fuel in there.

Now that everything matches, i can put a full tank in there and see whats the deal.

I'm just guessing right now at 13. I know when he bought the truck new it got 11, when i took all the smog stuff off i noticed a significant increase. Now that i did even more work to it, it maybe getting more. We haven't really had it on the road long enough to tell.

I'll also have a better idea since the sender and the tank match now. Brutus's original tank was 23 gallon and the sender went out, and true to form, there is no sending unit for a 23 gallon tank, only a 19. We used that for a while knowing we had to buy a fuel tank and just left it alone so about 4 gallons of gas would sit in the bottom of the tank and near the top is rusted, so i kept very little fuel in there.

Now that everything matches, i can put a full tank in there and see whats the deal.

Hi, circling back here after dealing with Lyme disease for the last few weeks.

My instrument lights not working were due to the headlight switch. The old one had a lot of blue corrosion and dirt in it. Put the new one in and all the lights work!

I am doing something wrong with my electric choke installation. Not sure what since I have done this on VW's forever.

I must have adjusted it 20x and no good. I open the throttle, turn the choke housing counterclockwise (facing the windshield) until the flap is about 1/4" closed and lock down the screws. I checked the next morning and the flap was straight up and down. If I start it with the choke less than 1/4 inch closed it stumbles and smokes alot unless I manually open it some more. I need to look at this more. I reset the mixture screw to the stock setting also and leaned it out some from there. I followed the directions from Mike's Carbs and other sources but still something is wrong.

I have a nice rebuilt YFA carb I grabbed on E-Bay for $40. Thinking about swapping out the YF carb that is on their now.

Next issue I noticed ha ha was when I filled the tank to the top gas started pouring out from the tank. Maybe 1/2 a gallon until it stopped. Have to get my head up there and see what's up.

The truck def wanders and jumps some when driving. I know it's an old truck but it seems too much. Front ends are something I know nothing about really although I did replace the shocks because the others were blown out.

Otherwise , love driving it and I have been starting to use it more as my daily driver here and there.

Thanks everyone!

Hi, circling back here after dealing with Lyme disease for the last few weeks.

My instrument lights not working were due to the headlight switch. The old one had a lot of blue corrosion and dirt in it. Put the new one in and all the lights work!

I am doing something wrong with my electric choke installation. Not sure what since I have done this on VW's forever.

I must have adjusted it 20x and no good. I open the throttle, turn the choke housing counterclockwise (facing the windshield) until the flap is about 1/4" closed and lock down the screws. I checked the next morning and the flap was straight up and down. If I start it with the choke less than 1/4 inch closed it stumbles and smokes alot unless I manually open it some more. I need to look at this more. I reset the mixture screw to the stock setting also and leaned it out some from there. I followed the directions from Mike's Carbs and other sources but still something is wrong.

I have a nice rebuilt YFA carb I grabbed on E-Bay for $40. Thinking about swapping out the YF carb that is on their now.

Next issue I noticed ha ha was when I filled the tank to the top gas started pouring out from the tank. Maybe 1/2 a gallon until it stopped. Have to get my head up there and see what's up.

The truck def wanders and jumps some when driving. I know it's an old truck but it seems too much. Front ends are something I know nothing about really although I did replace the shocks because the others were blown out.

Otherwise , love driving it and I have been starting to use it more as my daily driver here and there.

Thanks everyone!

First , where are you getting power for the choke?

Second, if you came back in the morning and adjusted the choke to 1/4" open (or whatever works for you) where is it when the engine starts?

What I'm getting at is vacuum pull-off.

Many carbs have it. Some carbs don't.

But you're making progress, and progress is good! :nabble_smiley_good: