Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Many of those crossmembers are bent as they look like a good place to hook a chain - but aren't. They'll bend almost for sure.

George - Glad it isn't anything more serious.

As for what I did with, not to, my truck today, I drove it 160 miles. And it made it on one 16 gallon tank of gas with some left over. Things are looking up! :nabble_smiley_evil:

So, well north of 10MPG Gary, since you surely did not finish on fumes? That's better.:nabble_smiley_good: My last tank was under 13MPG, but I went for a very enthusiastic drive after watching the Engine Power 300 build and seeing the numbers they pulled on the dyno. So I pushed mine to 3500RPM as well...:nabble_smiley_happy: In third on the back roads mostly, also onto the interstate for a short stretch in 4th as well, the pulls to 3500 I mean, mostly I was driving at 1500RPM in 4th. It truly feels like a different truck, can't compare it to the donkey that I had in Charleston.

So, well north of 10MPG Gary, since you surely did not finish on fumes? That's better.:nabble_smiley_good: My last tank was under 13MPG, but I went for a very enthusiastic drive after watching the Engine Power 300 build and seeing the numbers they pulled on the dyno. So I pushed mine to 3500RPM as well...:nabble_smiley_happy: In third on the back roads mostly, also onto the interstate for a short stretch in 4th as well, the pulls to 3500 I mean, mostly I was driving at 1500RPM in 4th. It truly feels like a different truck, can't compare it to the donkey that I had in Charleston.

Just came back from another highway run. Everything doing just fine. I do want to change the back brakes and put the larger correct ones on, and it looks like we are going to need a speedometer cable and driven gear, but we kind of knew this already. All is good

20201031_174341.jpg.6e423382be092ea580c225bc22807aa0.jpg

Rob - I don’t want to jinx it, but the gauge is setting on 1/4 tank. My records show that when I put 5 gallons in that tank when it was empty it read 1/4. That would mean 11 gallons used from a 16 gallon tank. And the math says that would be 14.5 MPG for 160 miles. I seriously doubt that!

Especially since I wound it up over 3000 several times - and found a vibration!

Just came back from another highway run. Everything doing just fine. I do want to change the back brakes and put the larger correct ones on, and it looks like we are going to need a speedometer cable and driven gear, but we kind of knew this already. All is good

Now there is a picture for 'Truck picture of the month'... If you don't win this month, I nominate that one for next month!

Rob - I don’t want to jinx it, but the gauge is setting on 1/4 tank. My records show that when I put 5 gallons in that tank when it was empty it read 1/4. That would mean 11 gallons used from a 16 gallon tank. And the math says that would be 14.5 MPG for 160 miles. I seriously doubt that!

Vibration?:nabble_smiley_oh_no:

And you better not have achieved 14.5MPG!:nabble_smiley_argh: No, just joking, that would be great for you, but I would be very surprised. Still, it's definitely improved and looks like a long trip would not be prohibitive.

Vibration?:nabble_smiley_oh_no:

And you better not have achieved 14.5MPG!:nabble_smiley_argh: No, just joking, that would be great for you, but I would be very surprised. Still, it's definitely improved and looks like a long trip would not be prohibitive.

Thanks Rob:-) looks like Brian is going to get it. i was ahead earlier in the month. tomorrow i'm going to finish polishing it out and wax it and submit a different pic

Thanks Rob:-) looks like Brian is going to get it. i was ahead earlier in the month. tomorrow i'm going to finish polishing it out and wax it and submit a different pic

Didn't do anything to my truck today, but I did start cleaning off some shelf space for when I start purchasing new parts and tear down the 460. Also trying to get all the dust out of the shop so it doesn't end up in the engine. :nabble_smiley_good:

Didn't do anything to my truck today, but I did start cleaning off some shelf space for when I start purchasing new parts and tear down the 460. Also trying to get all the dust out of the shop so it doesn't end up in the engine. :nabble_smiley_good:

Yesterday I took the truck to work, yep had to do a LP load 3.5 hours away.

On the way home with a speed limit of 70 MPH everyone does 75 to 80 MPH

Doing 75+ MPH in over drive the motor was spinning about 2000 RPM

When I got home it did its weekly job ..... trash to the dump :nabble_anim_jump:

Dave ----

Yesterday I took the truck to work, yep had to do a LP load 3.5 hours away.

On the way home with a speed limit of 70 MPH everyone does 75 to 80 MPH

Doing 75+ MPH in over drive the motor was spinning about 2000 RPM

When I got home it did its weekly job ..... trash to the dump :nabble_anim_jump:

Dave ----

I'm jealous Dave...

Ok, I was WRONG! I was running on the 19 gallon rear tank rather than the 16 gallon front tank. So that explains why it was still sitting on 1/4 tank. And, having filled it up today I find that we got 10.6 MPG yesterday. That's not too bad with a 460 when I was NOT driving for economy. In fact, there were several bursts at WOT, and lots of driving at 70+ MPH, not to mention the serious winds we were bucking.