Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Looking good! And, your kids are growing up. Please tell them I said hello.

Well, the storm has passed and everybody is ok, unfortunately Brutus is not. A bunch of tree branches fell on him and messed the front fenders up quite a bit. Nothing we cant handle, but has set us back yet again. We are going to do the repainting today. Nick took care of the body work yesterday. so today we re-shoot

Uh, please tell me more Dave... I was just following your lead and am unaware of your vacuum leak.:nabble_smiley_oh_no:

If you look over the sticker on the radiator support you will see there should be solenoid(s) between the canisters and the PCV they only open at a certain time.

I did not have the solenoid(s) so I piped it to run straight from the canisters to the small port on the PVC.

When I did this I could not get the idle speed as low as I wanted it, I knew it was to high even with out putting a gauge to it. In looking why this was so I found it was caused by a vacuum leak.

I don't remember just how I found it but the cause for the vacuum leak was this line from the PCV to the canisters pulling vacuum on the tanks.

So I knew the canisters (dual tanks so I have 2) needed a vacuum to pull vapors from the tanks but could not be the full vacuum it was getting now because of the higher idle speed.

My fix was to install the smallest jet I had from my Holley pit pack to restrict the amount of vacuum the canisters would get.

This did work to get the idle down so I could adjust it better but I think the restriction is still to large for my liking and so day will look into making it smaller.

I should also point out right now I have the vacuum line unplugged and capped because I am getting poor MPG and thinking it might be from pulling the vapors. It has been a few fill ups and need to check mileage but I don't think this it the cause.

I know the PO jacked up the carb and why I had to rebuild it. I think they played with the high speed rod and seat and is pulling to much fuel when not on idle.

I just hate to get into the carb as the truck runs so good other wise.

I am "if its not broke don't fix it" school.

So if you don't have the solenoids restrict the vacuum to the canisters.

BTW I do think when hooked up you don't get the fume smell as I am getting that a little now in the garage that I don't remember getting before.

Dave ----

Uh, please tell me more Dave... I was just following your lead and am unaware of your vacuum leak.:nabble_smiley_oh_no:

If you look over the sticker on the radiator support you will see there should be solenoid(s) between the canisters and the PCV they only open at a certain time.

I did not have the solenoid(s) so I piped it to run straight from the canisters to the small port on the PVC.

When I did this I could not get the idle speed as low as I wanted it, I knew it was to high even with out putting a gauge to it. In looking why this was so I found it was caused by a vacuum leak.

I don't remember just how I found it but the cause for the vacuum leak was this line from the PCV to the canisters pulling vacuum on the tanks.

So I knew the canisters (dual tanks so I have 2) needed a vacuum to pull vapors from the tanks but could not be the full vacuum it was getting now because of the higher idle speed.

My fix was to install the smallest jet I had from my Holley pit pack to restrict the amount of vacuum the canisters would get.

This did work to get the idle down so I could adjust it better but I think the restriction is still to large for my liking and so day will look into making it smaller.

I should also point out right now I have the vacuum line unplugged and capped because I am getting poor MPG and thinking it might be from pulling the vapors. It has been a few fill ups and need to check mileage but I don't think this it the cause.

I know the PO jacked up the carb and why I had to rebuild it. I think they played with the high speed rod and seat and is pulling to much fuel when not on idle.

BTW I do think when hooked up you don't get the fume smell as I am getting that a little now in the garage that I don't remember getting before.

Dave ----

Scott, nice looking truck & kids. Must be nice to get out and show it off.

I have only been to 2 outings in the year since my truck has been done.

N&G, sorry to hear about the truck. Good to hear you guys are OK the truck can be fixed as you are doing, people dom't fix so well.

Because the roads were damp yesterday I did not use it to take the trash to the dump and its raining today so the truck will stay inside and stay clean. Was looking to take the wife out in the truck for a late lunch for our 22 years married. Guess I will be using the DD to go out.

Dave ----

N&G, sorry to hear about the truck. Good to hear you guys are OK the truck can be fixed as you are doing, people dom't fix so well.

Because the roads were damp yesterday I did not use it to take the trash to the dump and its raining today so the truck will stay inside and stay clean. Was looking to take the wife out in the truck for a late lunch for our 22 years married. Guess I will be using the DD to go out.

Dave ----

Dave. I said the same thing, yea its a pain, but i'd rather have to do some bondo and repaint then , well, you know. In the end, it will work out for he best though. we had some other touching up to do so we will do all of it today. The town sent me a letter about my parts truck and parts vic. Last weekend we had to push the parts truck under the carport and well, Nick misjudged and ended up crunching Brutu's front driver fender only a day after i got it legal again, so technically he has his first dent.

Dave ----

George - Sorry to see Brutus got hurt. But in the other pic it looks like you've gotten him fixed up. :nabble_smiley_good:

Dave - Congrat's on the 22 years! :nabble_anim_claps:

Dave ----

What other symptoms did you have Dave? Was it only the inability to lower the idle speed?

Mine has a 'hissing' noise which sounds like a vacuum or I suppose an exhaust leak. When the engine builder was checking over my carb-tuning work he said that a vacuum leak would normally result in uneven or irregular idling. He said it sounded like a leak, but we couldn't identify the source of it, just that it's from the manifold side of the engine. It's been doing it since the first start-up. However my engine idles smoothly and is currently set at 640Rpm. We also adjusted the timing down further to 8deg BTDC.

I'm not too concerned about it, as my truck runs nicely now, but I guess I can add it to the to-do list. The brake booster is also constantly reminding me of it's need for attention.

What other symptoms did you have Dave? Was it only the inability to lower the idle speed?

Mine has a 'hissing' noise which sounds like a vacuum or I suppose an exhaust leak. When the engine builder was checking over my carb-tuning work he said that a vacuum leak would normally result in uneven or irregular idling. He said it sounded like a leak, but we couldn't identify the source of it, just that it's from the manifold side of the engine. It's been doing it since the first start-up. However my engine idles smoothly and is currently set at 640Rpm. We also adjusted the timing down further to 8deg BTDC.

I'm not too concerned about it, as my truck runs nicely now, but I guess I can add it to the to-do list. The brake booster is also constantly reminding me of it's need for attention.

Gary. I had posted that pic in the other thread as to the progress. Nothing has really changed except for last week Nick did the body work on the front where we hit the parts truck, and we fixed the other side. So today we repainted the 2 front fenders and the left bed side. The wind blew and blew the plastic right onto the fresh paint on the bed behind the door and cuased a big big mess, so now this coming weekend, yet more paint. But on the upside, by this weekend, the driver side should be done and complete, and the passenger side should be done from the front to the back of the door with the stripes.

Finishing up some odds and ends. The interior is pretty much complete now. have to install some trim pieces and that should be a wrap on that. Nick began the engine compartment wireing today