Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Dave - The catalog shows one bed side for 1980/82 and then another from '83 through '86. However, I just compared Dad's 1981 fuel filler openings to Big Blue's and they are the same - both have the finger recess in the bed. A pic of Big Blue's is below. So, apparently that wasn't what changed between '82 and '83. And, the page in the link above shows only one fuel filler door for all of 1980 - 86.

Having said that, I happen to have a spare door, the plastic piece, and maybe most of the other bits. Yours for the shipping if you want them - although it appears you already have the stuff you need.

I thank you for the offer but I have 2 from the parts truck I can use to make the rear tank look factory.

Could I be wrong on the opening? I might be?

I was going by a post someone made on the other site when replacing the qt panel on a 4 door Bronco and the fuel door opening being different.

Could he have used a later part say 87/ part to fix the rust he had?

Now why the different part number for the bed side if the openings are the same?

Could it be the plastic part and/or the filler tube be different and why the panel is different?

I know the Ford book is wrong and we know it is never wrong LOL

The mystery continues

Dave ----

I thank you for the offer but I have 2 from the parts truck I can use to make the rear tank look factory.

Could I be wrong on the opening? I might be?

I was going by a post someone made on the other site when replacing the qt panel on a 4 door Bronco and the fuel door opening being different.

Could he have used a later part say 87/ part to fix the rust he had?

Now why the different part number for the bed side if the openings are the same?

Could it be the plastic part and/or the filler tube be different and why the panel is different?

I know the Ford book is wrong and we know it is never wrong LOL

The mystery continues

Dave ----

Dave - There could be small differences in the bed sides, like the number of bolts fastening it to the frame. Didn't we realize there's a difference? And I'm sure there were others.

I know the catalog is wrong in many cases, but I don't think it is in this case. But that is just my thinking.

Dave - There could be small differences in the bed sides, like the number of bolts fastening it to the frame. Didn't we realize there's a difference? And I'm sure there were others.

I know the catalog is wrong in many cases, but I don't think it is in this case. But that is just my thinking.

I'm on a kick to clean things up and put them away in the shop - so I can at least turn around. So, today I put the VV carb on its throne - that's it right in the middle of the pic in my Standard Motor Products carb cabinet: (Thanks, Randy)

VV_at_Home.thumb.jpg.0556ed3817cb32ad432df3c39b480887.jpg

And, I got the wiring harnii sorted into totes and labeled. Wow! That's a lot of stuff!

Harness_Totes.thumb.jpg.01c9dea5894b68d3b27cd6601f5f1ae9.jpg

I'm on a kick to clean things up and put them away in the shop - so I can at least turn around. So, today I put the VV carb on its throne - that's it right in the middle of the pic in my Standard Motor Products carb cabinet: (Thanks, Randy)

And, I got the wiring harnii sorted into totes and labeled. Wow! That's a lot of stuff!

What did I do to my truck today? Turned it into a convertible!

Huck_Is_A_Convertible.thumb.jpg.1d4a45d83ec81dc464edb7e0395a4a84.jpg

And, here's the top, which will be tucked away until Sept 15th when Darin/Oz Econoline comes to the Garagemahal show. I know that it is far more top than he needs, but this way I know I have what he wants.

Hucks_Top_Is_Off.thumb.jpg.39bb0d7bf5f05953911bba8fc3a6cbe7.jpg

Actually, I didn't do this by myself. Brandon/Bruno2 came over to bake his block, more of which later, so I put him to work. Here's another thing we did - put the microfiche viewers up. Here's the bigger of the two, up above Brandon painting his timing cover:

Brandon_Painting_and_Microfiche_Viewer.thumb.jpg.c503e1dd0208668107879c3574e4b105.jpg

And, he helped me put the other microfiche viewer up:

Microfiche_Viewer_Stored.thumb.jpg.f8cf531124d5167b68bc9f50eb41c553.jpg

Last, here is Brandon't block and intake being baked at 200 degrees to set the pain. Sorry for the blur. :nabble_smiley_blush:

DSCN0641.thumb.jpg.004c1d634fd0b6e7944e36834cba4ca9.jpg

What did I do to my truck today? Turned it into a convertible!

And, here's the top, which will be tucked away until Sept 15th when Darin/Oz Econoline comes to the Garagemahal show. I know that it is far more top than he needs, but this way I know I have what he wants.

Actually, I didn't do this by myself. Brandon/Bruno2 came over to bake his block, more of which later, so I put him to work. Here's another thing we did - put the microfiche viewers up. Here's the bigger of the two, up above Brandon painting his timing cover:

And, he helped me put the other microfiche viewer up:

Last, here is Brandon't block and intake being baked at 200 degrees to set the pain. Sorry for the blur. :nabble_smiley_blush:

I like the nice dual trace scope up on top, Tektronix by any chance?

No, it is Chris' Heathkit. And it may go back to him since he's finishing out quite the garage and may want it.

Good to see Darin got a good roof. He wanted part from my roll over parts truck and told him it was not worth it. I even sent him pictures.

As for me I was lazy this weekend and did not get a lot done.

Had to get pictures and find parts for other members and 1 thing lead to another and got a little done.

I bought a 90* 1/4" air grinder last week and put it to good use.

Ground down the last weld and hit some spots a larger tool can not get to.

Pulled out my larger air grinder with the Eastwood paint & rust removing pad and stripped down the insides of the 2 bed panels.

Still have the outsides of them to do yet.

20180218_135151.jpg.e5d6d35336f5f8c5b971830f872b4369.jpg

20180218_135138.jpg.e7fa62335ca061b36560682e94adc8b0.jpg

Once the other sides are stripped I will spray them down with acid to kill the rust.

They also need a little hammer & dolly work and some filler in spots then prim.

Dave ----

Good to see Darin got a good roof. He wanted part from my roll over parts truck and told him it was not worth it. I even sent him pictures.

As for me I was lazy this weekend and did not get a lot done.

Had to get pictures and find parts for other members and 1 thing lead to another and got a little done.

I bought a 90* 1/4" air grinder last week and put it to good use.

Ground down the last weld and hit some spots a larger tool can not get to.

Pulled out my larger air grinder with the Eastwood paint & rust removing pad and stripped down the insides of the 2 bed panels.

Still have the outsides of them to do yet.

Once the other sides are stripped I will spray them down with acid to kill the rust.

They also need a little hammer & dolly work and some filler in spots then prim.

Dave ----

Oh when working on the panels I got a call from my brother in CA. He said he was at the pick-n-pull the other day and came across a 81 flare side. He got the tail gate & hinges for me.

Little bad news, he also cut up a fender for the filler door as he knew I added a rear tank to my truck and would need a door. I told him I had 2 doors from the parts truck that I could use. He said it would be best to use the glass fender part over the metal one as I would be using fiber glass to make it happen and being the fender & the part he got are also glass would make for a better job.

He would know as he is a licensed body man in CA. and being he already cut it out and it is packed up with the gate so I will use it.

I also sent him back if the truck is there to get the tail light brackets ( said the lights were broken), the rear plate bracket if it has one(had a step bumper), the 4 rear fender braces if there and a AC compressor mounting bracket if he can find one.

Fingers cross he can come up with the parts.

Dave ----

Oh when working on the panels I got a call from my brother in CA. He said he was at the pick-n-pull the other day and came across a 81 flare side. He got the tail gate & hinges for me.

Little bad news, he also cut up a fender for the filler door as he knew I added a rear tank to my truck and would need a door. I told him I had 2 doors from the parts truck that I could use. He said it would be best to use the glass fender part over the metal one as I would be using fiber glass to make it happen and being the fender & the part he got are also glass would make for a better job.

He would know as he is a licensed body man in CA. and being he already cut it out and it is packed up with the gate so I will use it.

I also sent him back if the truck is there to get the tail light brackets ( said the lights were broken), the rear plate bracket if it has one(had a step bumper), the 4 rear fender braces if there and a AC compressor mounting bracket if he can find one.

Fingers cross he can come up with the parts.

Dave ----

Dave - Your fenders are looking good, although I'm no body man.

As for your brother, I assume you are suggesting he shouldn't have cut up a good fender? But would you have had him ship it to you?

Anyway, I hope he does find the other parts. CA seems to be a good place to find things.

Dave - Your fenders are looking good, although I'm no body man.

As for your brother, I assume you are suggesting he shouldn't have cut up a good fender? But would you have had him ship it to you?

Anyway, I hope he does find the other parts. CA seems to be a good place to find things.

When he was telling me how he got the fuel door I was crying a little and yes I did tell him they are hard to find and should not have cut it up.

No not ship it as I don't need either fender (at this time). I only needed a fuel door and area to graft onto the rear part of my fender for the rear tank I added and was going to use 1 of the 2 from the parts truck.

He said the only thing he saw wrong with the truck was it had no dash and the wood for the bed was rotten but the rest of the bed was in good shape.

He did say the gate & fuel door was already boxed up and sitting in the back of his truck just needed my address. I told him no rush but he wants it out of his truck so he can get more parts!

I will get pictures when it gets here.

Dave ----