Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

No, but I have Eastwood's similar paints and don't find them as durable as powder coating. I do use some paint on things that can't be PC'd.

Spent a few more hours in the garage today.

Between my back hurting and needing to get up at 1am for work it was a short day.

Got all the welding done on the 2 side panels. All but 1 weld ground down, could not get grinder in there so have to pull out the Dremal to do that one.

Top side of lip Tail gate end

20180210_162648.jpg.6ccdbbeefe2950da6705fa26376c9941.jpg

Head board end

20180210_162542.jpg.78b74760aab079a68479d69faea0a60c.jpg

Bottom side showing the panel extensions.

I am not worried on the welds ground smooth as that will not be seen, behind fenders. What will be seen on the other side is maybe 2" to 3" between fenders & the bed up rights and they will get a little filler.

20180211_121103.jpg.9d0d67c334657734c4079bcfdeaf33ec.jpg

20180211_121049.jpg.a2bcd9414db111c15306f4547a9646e0.jpg

20180211_121129.jpg.91b82d62c04b1a0497df1bfa132fafef.jpg

20180211_121117.jpg.8434dcf6556f4e101e8e182b551132cd.jpg

I also need to drill and square think 3 holes on the lip that I filled in with weld to fix them. 2 in this picture.

20180210_162613.jpg.a6ac2f41b4964f9b85e091f914fce8d5.jpg

Next is to strip the panels down to a good base and treat the rust, little body work (filler) before they get primed.

Dave ----

Spent a few more hours in the garage today.

Between my back hurting and needing to get up at 1am for work it was a short day.

Got all the welding done on the 2 side panels. All but 1 weld ground down, could not get grinder in there so have to pull out the Dremal to do that one.

Top side of lip Tail gate end

Head board end

Bottom side showing the panel extensions.

I am not worried on the welds ground smooth as that will not be seen, behind fenders. What will be seen on the other side is maybe 2" to 3" between fenders & the bed up rights and they will get a little filler.

I also need to drill and square think 3 holes on the lip that I filled in with weld to fix them. 2 in this picture.

Next is to strip the panels down to a good base and treat the rust, little body work (filler) before they get primed.

Dave ----

It won't be long! Paint is coming soon! :nabble_anim_jump:

It would be nice if I could by late spring or early summer before it gets too hot. Other wise it will be after summer when it cools down.

I have the 2 rear fenders, 1 needs a 2nd fuel door, and the hood to do body work on yet.

Then sand, sand and more sanding to prep for painting.

Dave ----

It would be nice if I could by late spring or early summer before it gets too hot. Other wise it will be after summer when it cools down.

I have the 2 rear fenders, 1 needs a 2nd fuel door, and the hood to do body work on yet.

Then sand, sand and more sanding to prep for painting.

Dave ----

Dave - I put up a new tab for Fuel Filler Doors on the Exterior/Beds, Tailgates, & Components page. Could you take a look at it?

It seems to show that the Flareside door is the same as the Styleside door. Do you know if that is the case?

No, but I have Eastwood's similar paints and don't find them as durable as powder coating. I do use some paint on things that can't be PC'd.

Got my brake booster and master cylinder swapped out today. Flushed out all the old black fluid. Still need to inspect the brakes to see how much pad/shoe I have left. I know the back shoes need to be adjusted too. Still have a lot to do, but getting things done one at a time.

IMG_20180211_154407.jpg.902e97cfff281543f046d8df3a673a34.jpg

IMG_20180211_201222.jpg.ac67b4f4a675d3f7564709dd5289018e.jpg

Got my brake booster and master cylinder swapped out today. Flushed out all the old black fluid. Still need to inspect the brakes to see how much pad/shoe I have left. I know the back shoes need to be adjusted too. Still have a lot to do, but getting things done one at a time.

As Jim says, progress is good. :nabble_smiley_good:

How much travel of the pedal before you start to move the piston in the master? I ask because there is an adjustment, and if it gets changed you can either have lots of slop in the linkage or the brakes won't release fully.

As Jim says, progress is good. :nabble_smiley_good:

How much travel of the pedal before you start to move the piston in the master? I ask because there is an adjustment, and if it gets changed you can either have lots of slop in the linkage or the brakes won't release fully.

No issues that I can feel. I purchased a Booster/Master Cylinder combo that was preassembled so I wouldn't have to worry about it.

Dave - I put up a new tab for Fuel Filler Doors on the Exterior/Beds, Tailgates, & Components page. Could you take a look at it?

It seems to show that the Flareside door is the same as the Styleside door. Do you know if that is the case?

I should back up a little here on the fuel filler door.

Remember the flare sides only came with a 16 gal. side tank with the filler door on the front side of the left fender. I added the style side parts truck 19 gal. rear tank to my truck along with all the needed hardware to make it work. So I need to add the filler door to the rear side of my fender.

Style side could come with 1 or 2 tanks even the short beds from what I have seen posted. If the truck had duel tanks the filler doors were mounted on the bed side panel 1 in front of the wheel and the other behind it.

As for the doors & the opening: Depending on the year and I don't know what year this switch happened, they changed. The early years have flat doors and the opening had a "finger" cut out to open the door.

Later years the door had the "finger" cut out and the opening was square/flat on all sides.

Being both my trucks are 81's they have the early doors.

And yes both the style side & flare side use the same door & opening from what I can tell.

8120Left20Side20001.jpg.f3bb4a0c8c892aadda2466312bd60349.jpg

8020Left20Front001.jpg.03a2555d7661a22e33d4305cbba61fe1.jpg

I will take 1 of the openings/doors and graft it on my fender and hold onto the 2nd assy..

Dave ----

I should back up a little here on the fuel filler door.

Remember the flare sides only came with a 16 gal. side tank with the filler door on the front side of the left fender. I added the style side parts truck 19 gal. rear tank to my truck along with all the needed hardware to make it work. So I need to add the filler door to the rear side of my fender.

Style side could come with 1 or 2 tanks even the short beds from what I have seen posted. If the truck had duel tanks the filler doors were mounted on the bed side panel 1 in front of the wheel and the other behind it.

As for the doors & the opening: Depending on the year and I don't know what year this switch happened, they changed. The early years have flat doors and the opening had a "finger" cut out to open the door.

Later years the door had the "finger" cut out and the opening was square/flat on all sides.

Being both my trucks are 81's they have the early doors.

And yes both the style side & flare side use the same door & opening from what I can tell.

I will take 1 of the openings/doors and graft it on my fender and hold onto the 2nd assy..

Dave ----

Dave - The catalog shows one bed side for 1980/82 and then another from '83 through '86. However, I just compared Dad's 1981 fuel filler openings to Big Blue's and they are the same - both have the finger recess in the bed. A pic of Big Blue's is below. So, apparently that wasn't what changed between '82 and '83. And, the page in the link above shows only one fuel filler door for all of 1980 - 86.

Having said that, I happen to have a spare door, the plastic piece, and maybe most of the other bits. Yours for the shipping if you want them - although it appears you already have the stuff you need.

Fuel_Filler_Openings.thumb.jpg.2fb8d537357f4a69326d32794d646bb8.jpg