Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

I'm definitely not Kosher!

All kind of bugs are on the menu. 🐙

I have enough blood.

It doesn't seem as thick as it once was, but I'm not about of run out. :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Well. I got Darth fixed, what it was I have no clue, the power lead from the ignition switch to the HVAC and a number of underhood items was staying live with the key off. It was live even with the connector plug off the switch. I started by removing the bulkhead 76 pin plug and found the pin that comes out from the inside was hot at the underhood side telling me something was shorted.

I went through and pulled all the fuses in the underhood PDC at which point the mystery hot circuit vanished. I disconnected my trailer relay box (4 relays, one for a battery charging circuit, one for running lights (also the Dually fender and back of bed lights) and left and right trailer turn and stop lights) they were energized with the key off also. with the fuses out, no live circuits, replaced them one at a time and checked the correct circuit and the mystery hot circuit and never found what did it. A little moisture inside the 76 pin connector but nothing else.

Well. I got Darth fixed, what it was I have no clue, the power lead from the ignition switch to the HVAC and a number of underhood items was staying live with the key off. It was live even with the connector plug off the switch. I started by removing the bulkhead 76 pin plug and found the pin that comes out from the inside was hot at the underhood side telling me something was shorted.

I went through and pulled all the fuses in the underhood PDC at which point the mystery hot circuit vanished. I disconnected my trailer relay box (4 relays, one for a battery charging circuit, one for running lights (also the Dually fender and back of bed lights) and left and right trailer turn and stop lights) they were energized with the key off also. with the fuses out, no live circuits, replaced them one at a time and checked the correct circuit and the mystery hot circuit and never found what did it. A little moisture inside the 76 pin connector but nothing else.

Hard to imagine a damp circuit could cause so much trouble.

This isn't the Space Shuttle...

But I'm glad you got it solved, Bill! :nabble_smiley_good:

That is a mystery! Dampness shouldn't cause that. I'm glad it is now working correctly, but.....

Hard to imagine a damp circuit could cause so much trouble.

This isn't the Space Shuttle...

But I'm glad you got it solved, Bill! :nabble_smiley_good:

After I got that resolved, cleaned up and ate dinner, I went to work on some Chrysler radio wiring. I had picked up a 6 channel Infinity amplifier at Pick-n-Pull a while back and I have several different Chrysler radios. There are two different connection systems that, in the best Detroit tradition overlap. The older system (started in 1985) is two 7 pin plugs that handle power bat and ign, illumination, power antenna or amp control and 4 channel stereo. The 6 channel system splits the dash speakers from the front door ones and I suspect that is where part of the top down equalization in the amp takes place. The newer system still only uses 4 channels at the radio, but has a 22 pin modular plug.

The first Chrysler Infinity systems were one of the best sounding factory car or van systems and used amplifiers mounted on the door and rear speakers powered with a relay through a choke to get rid of noise in the amplifier power. I had a set in a 1989 and 1993 Grand Caravan, the 1985 convertible had the Chrysler pre-Infinity system which sounded great when all the speakers worked.

New convertible has all new Crutchfield sourced speakers with acoustic baffles for the doors and rear quarter speakers. They are coaxial 5.25" door and rear and 3.5" coaxial dash speakers.

Here are some pictures of the wiring work:

Wire strippers (Navy told NNS to dispose of these as they no longer meet Navy standards)

DSCN4067.thumb.jpg.8cfea57d935630061db4d7c28cb43acd.jpg

Here is what I was soldering, they are Ford .060 male wedge-lock pins as Chrysler electrical parts are damn near impossible to get except by salvaging them.

DSCN4066.thumb.jpg.b43f80d8f20144335d2e40427fd239db.jpg

Here is what I was using, a Radio Shack soldering station I bought in Salisbury MD before they shut down.

DSCN1999.jpg.fe5ec73993574ce87d65dfd0bd8ea29d.jpg

Here is the completed piece, white plug to radio, black to amplifier harness (there is a gray one for the output).

DSCN4069.thumb.jpg.29b1d896d75f1431c029151ba7ae14f1.jpg

After I got that resolved, cleaned up and ate dinner, I went to work on some Chrysler radio wiring. I had picked up a 6 channel Infinity amplifier at Pick-n-Pull a while back and I have several different Chrysler radios. There are two different connection systems that, in the best Detroit tradition overlap. The older system (started in 1985) is two 7 pin plugs that handle power bat and ign, illumination, power antenna or amp control and 4 channel stereo. The 6 channel system splits the dash speakers from the front door ones and I suspect that is where part of the top down equalization in the amp takes place. The newer system still only uses 4 channels at the radio, but has a 22 pin modular plug.

The first Chrysler Infinity systems were one of the best sounding factory car or van systems and used amplifiers mounted on the door and rear speakers powered with a relay through a choke to get rid of noise in the amplifier power. I had a set in a 1989 and 1993 Grand Caravan, the 1985 convertible had the Chrysler pre-Infinity system which sounded great when all the speakers worked.

New convertible has all new Crutchfield sourced speakers with acoustic baffles for the doors and rear quarter speakers. They are coaxial 5.25" door and rear and 3.5" coaxial dash speakers.

Here are some pictures of the wiring work:

Wire strippers (Navy told NNS to dispose of these as they no longer meet Navy standards)

Here is what I was soldering, they are Ford .060 male wedge-lock pins as Chrysler electrical parts are damn near impossible to get except by salvaging them.

Here is what I was using, a Radio Shack soldering station I bought in Salisbury MD before they shut down.

Here is the completed piece, white plug to radio, black to amplifier harness (there is a gray one for the output).

Nice work! :nabble_smiley_good:

Twisted pair too..

Looking good, Bill. :nabble_smiley_good:

I've always liked the Infinity systems. I'll bet your system will sound great!

I stopped by to see this old Dentside for sale in a driveway yesterday. A friend of mine is looking for one of these. The owner wasn't home, so I don't know what year it is or even what engine is in it. Interior and underside looked really nice.

IMG_2272.jpg.6b018ae29db9e9da0f4a93db9f97fa0e.jpg

I stopped by to see this old Dentside for sale in a driveway yesterday. A friend of mine is looking for one of these. The owner wasn't home, so I don't know what year it is or even what engine is in it. Interior and underside looked really nice.

This beauty happened to show up in my news feed the other night at one of our local-ish car show gatherings. This one is at a market about 75 miles away, and I've only made the journey a couple of times. I wish I had been there Friday night to see it and talk to the owner. Don't get to see many Flaresides around here, not in 4x4 at least.

IMG_2255.jpg.8f55c0f176830d6f47162adb7105ffad.jpg

I don't know what your friend is looking for but I'd be mighty proud to be behind the wheel of that. :nabble_smiley_cool:

This beauty happened to show up in my news feed the other night at one of our local-ish car show gatherings. This one is at a market about 75 miles away, and I've only made the journey a couple of times. I wish I had been there Friday night to see it and talk to the owner. Don't get to see many Flaresides around here, not in 4x4 at least.

I like the colour combo!

Tu-tone of the same colour seems really, really nice.

You should invite them to come join the FOG.