Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Jim - What truck does your niece have?

And, what about the converter flange? I ask because Huck's exhaust, which will go on Big Blue, was cut neatly right behind the wye where the O2 sensor goes on a batch-fire setup. My intent is to put flanges there so I can bolt it together, and probably then put a Magnaflow 2-in/2-out in place of the glasspacks.

Bill showed the flanges he used for that purpose, but they looked huge. Are there smaller flanges?

Behind the wye????

Wouldn't you just use a single 3"?

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gary, those flanges are; front is the end of the EFI exhaust pipe pair, rear is cut off of a dead catalytic converter (one that had previously been gutted). Auto Muffler King in Newport News VA used that to make the needed connection to factory 1986 460 system.

Bill - Got it. Thanks. The front flange was where the converter goes on and the rear flange is from a dead converter.

My 1990 exhaust pipes don't have a flange for a converter, nor even a converter. And I can't see where a converter was taken off. That would suggest that they are replacements. However, the driver's side has a heat shield on it that looks factory. And the mufflers look like they've been there forever. So, I'm lost. Could this be factory?

Exhaust_Complete.thumb.jpg.c56873bff6cf5280b61f81f42d1e9011.jpg

Exhaust_Cuts.thumb.jpg.60afb0921314654d8bc093c95176681a.jpg

Behind the wye????

Wouldn't you just use a single 3"?

Jim - I'm just trying to make it easy. And, I like dual exhaust. But with the to-be large rear tank I don't see having them exit on opposite sides. So, using the Magnaflow 2-in/2-out looks to be an easy way to do that.

Bill - Got it. Thanks. The front flange was where the converter goes on and the rear flange is from a dead converter.

My 1990 exhaust pipes don't have a flange for a converter, nor even a converter. And I can't see where a converter was taken off. That would suggest that they are replacements. However, the driver's side has a heat shield on it that looks factory. And the mufflers look like they've been there forever. So, I'm lost. Could this be factory?

That looks factory.

The 450 has a real Wye (collector) and the O2 bung in the single pipe.

I think I posted pics of this and offered it to you back then.

But I'm going to go with it as soon as I get some traction

That looks factory.

The 450 has a real Wye (collector) and the O2 bung in the single pipe.

I think I posted pics of this and offered it to you back then.

But I'm going to go with it as soon as I get some traction

If that is factory, and I agree that is what it looks like, then I will have a pair of flanges welded on where the cut is and put it back. Then, if I don't like the sound or if the tailpipes or mufflers rust out I can have it replaced from the flange.

However, didn't the F250's in '90 come with a cat?

As for the 450, I think you offered it but I didn't need it at the time. And now that I have this from Huck, I think this is the way I'd want to go anyway.

Gary, it looks like the huck exhaust was cut in front of the flange and the two glass packs and pipes welded on in place of where the cat would have been. Those are the factory pipes, the heat shield pretty well gives that away, it is where the left side passes under the oil pan. I am surprised that the O2 sensor is a 3 wire, I am pretty sure the one from Big Ugly was a 4 wire (difference is separate heater and signal grounds). I would carry the front part to an exhaust shop and see if they can put a flange there and then a mating one for the pipes. Look at a Walker exhaust catalog (on-line) for the layout, Darth's donor was a 1990 F250 2WD 460 w/E4OD. You should be able to see if the 1990 4WD with and without E4OD is different or the same.

Gary, it looks like the huck exhaust was cut in front of the flange and the two glass packs and pipes welded on in place of where the cat would have been. Those are the factory pipes, the heat shield pretty well gives that away, it is where the left side passes under the oil pan. I am surprised that the O2 sensor is a 3 wire, I am pretty sure the one from Big Ugly was a 4 wire (difference is separate heater and signal grounds). I would carry the front part to an exhaust shop and see if they can put a flange there and then a mating one for the pipes. Look at a Walker exhaust catalog (on-line) for the layout, Darth's donor was a 1990 F250 2WD 460 w/E4OD. You should be able to see if the 1990 4WD with and without E4OD is different or the same.

Bill - While I agree that from what I've read it should have had a cat, and the Walker site shows that as well, I do not see any signs of cutting anywhere. I've run my hands up and down the pipes and there are no welds.

It has a GVWR of 8600 lb, so is over the 8500 lb cutoff for whatever that means, and it was manufactured in December of 1989 and delivered in the Kansas City DSO, if that matters.

Here's the front section:

Exhaust_Front.thumb.jpg.bb12bdfa3b745fd187ab66ae5fca9b14.jpg

And here's the rear section:

Exhaust_Rear.thumb.jpg.86082d01ac25f756dab6e2018478009d.jpg

And here's what Walker shows:

Walker_Diagram.jpg.b073c814cfb39274142751c8d2999105.jpg

Bill - While I agree that from what I've read it should have had a cat, and the Walker site shows that as well, I do not see any signs of cutting anywhere. I've run my hands up and down the pipes and there are no welds.

It has a GVWR of 8600 lb, so is over the 8500 lb cutoff for whatever that means, and it was manufactured in December of 1989 and delivered in the Kansas City DSO, if that matters.

Ok, here is the best picture I have today, and it's just gotten up to 33° here, so I am not going out to take a picture now. You can see the O2 sensor location and the flange (which also had the hanger pin on it).

IMGP0930.thumb.jpg.86f8ec932c4b84d994f291e965c06019.jpg

DSCN1009.thumb.jpg.cc03115175d63547fbd98edcf6b712cf.jpg

Ok, here is the best picture I have today, and it's just gotten up to 33° here, so I am not going out to take a picture now. You can see the O2 sensor location and the flange (which also had the hanger pin on it).

Here is a picture of the crankcase closure hose on the MAF system.

Got it on the PCV hose, and that's as I expected since I've held the '96 air intake up to Huck's engine that's on the stand and can see where the hose goes. But thanks.

As for the exhaust, I think you are saying that someone cut the flanges, plural, off Huck's exhaust. But the front and rear parts mate up perfectly, so they were originally joined w/o a flange, and were separated with a hacksaw. There hasn't been a flange there.

I can't prove that this is the original exhaust, and for it to have lasted this long is strange. But it sure looks that way. And if it isn't then the whole thing was replaced with what looks like factory parts - at least up front.

So, what am I missing?

All 250 7.5 efi from 88- would have a converter.

They welded the glasspacks right where the flange should be.