Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

I replaced the weather stripping in the door, and anti-rattle trim in the window channel surround on the driver's side.

'Not too hard, but wasn't as quick as I thought it would be. Passenger side will be quicker next weekend. Like many things, it takes me at least one time to figure out the correct order of things and process to make thing easier for the next round.

It's raining pretty hard tonight. It will be nice to have the driver's side tight and dry when I take the girls to school in the morning.

I need to do that to Big Blue. I have all the stuff with which to do it, and I know it'll make a big difference in the noise and the cold air that comes in. But, there's just too much to do.....

Anyway, enjoy the increased tightness tomorrow. Hope you get the passenger's side done next weekend.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I need to do that to Big Blue. I have all the stuff with which to do it, and I know it'll make a big difference in the noise and the cold air that comes in. But, there's just too much to do.....

Anyway, enjoy the increased tightness tomorrow. Hope you get the passenger's side done next weekend.

I need new door seals also. I got a new project, went and bought a 1981 Suzuki GS750L.

Finally got the truck on a longer trip after replacing the carb. Towed a 5x9 U Haul utility/motorcycle trailer.

And Gary you asked how the fuel economy would be. I will say better. Going to pick up the motorcycle I got 11.4 MPG, coming back with the 540 or so pound bike I got around 9 (a wag, as I haven't fueled yet), but I had to climb from 1200 feet to 5500, so I was not too surprised.

Around town though, with winter warm ups, it's still pretty horrible. Around 7 MPG. I had not seen over 10 MPG empty on the highway, so I believe the new Holley helped.

I also had the hubs locked on the way back. Thought I did on the way there, duh! Drove through packed snow and ice almost all the way. Only felt a slip once though.

New carb day! Holley Classic 600 CFM, electric choke, vacuum secondaries.

Picked the Holley for ease of linkage hookup, and now that I've messed with them a bit, I like them.

Installed #64 Primary Jets due to the elevation we live at. Comes with #66 and we are at 4100 foot elevation.

Pretty straight forward. Need a good 12 volt source, the OEM choke hook up won't work as many already know. Instructions said I needed to install the transmission kickdown adjuster. Didn't have one as the kickdown linkage is a little different than OEM. I got into my 20 year drawer and put together an adjuster with a 10 32 screw and two nuts.

I started my truck and moved it around to the front of my small garage, nothing I own except my riding mower will fit! When I pulled the old carb off there was fuel in the intake, hmmm....

Got the carb set up and installed and hooked up everything. The kickdown adjustment was a wag! New fuel filter.

Started relatively easy. Got it warmed up and adjusted the idle mixture screws with my handy dandy vacuum gauge. Decided to bump the timing a little bit, it's at recommended at the time. Now it's snowing...

Test drive, big difference, about ten feet shy of a huge difference. :nabble_smiley_thinking:

Except the kickdown is coming in way early. Back home for an adjustment, next drive better, but still too early. Back home, took the adjusting screw out all together. Next drive, much better, but a little early, but not much I can do about that.

All in all, I'm happy and my truck is happy!

Took me a bit to find that post, but now I understand your statement about MPG. And it does look like the new Holley is working. :nabble_smiley_good:

As for the new project, that should be a fun ride. Do you do a lot of touring?

New carb day! Holley Classic 600 CFM, electric choke, vacuum secondaries.

Picked the Holley for ease of linkage hookup, and now that I've messed with them a bit, I like them.

Installed #64 Primary Jets due to the elevation we live at. Comes with #66 and we are at 4100 foot elevation.

Pretty straight forward. Need a good 12 volt source, the OEM choke hook up won't work as many already know. Instructions said I needed to install the transmission kickdown adjuster. Didn't have one as the kickdown linkage is a little different than OEM. I got into my 20 year drawer and put together an adjuster with a 10 32 screw and two nuts.

I started my truck and moved it around to the front of my small garage, nothing I own except my riding mower will fit! When I pulled the old carb off there was fuel in the intake, hmmm....

Got the carb set up and installed and hooked up everything. The kickdown adjustment was a wag! New fuel filter.

Started relatively easy. Got it warmed up and adjusted the idle mixture screws with my handy dandy vacuum gauge. Decided to bump the timing a little bit, it's at recommended at the time. Now it's snowing...

Test drive, big difference, about ten feet shy of a huge difference. :nabble_smiley_thinking:

Except the kickdown is coming in way early. Back home for an adjustment, next drive better, but still too early. Back home, took the adjusting screw out all together. Next drive, much better, but a little early, but not much I can do about that.

All in all, I'm happy and my truck is happy!

Took me a bit to find that post, but now I understand your statement about MPG. And it does look like the new Holley is working. :nabble_smiley_good:

As for the new project, that should be a fun ride. Do you do a lot of touring?

Good find! Sorry I should have linked that in my post.

I don't ride much anymore, I used to. Too painful to sit for long periods on a bike.

I hope to bomb around and ride as much as I can and enjoy it, instead of thinking I have to ride to the moon and back! :nabble_smiley_thinking:

I received Ron's first-run bed side-rail diamond-plate protectors Monday, and installed them yesterday in the fog before the rains started again.

I think they look good, and they certainly have already served their purpose after one of my girls and her band-mates threw their equipment in the back for transport to one of their gigs last night.

Thanks for the great work and quick shipping Ron!

Rons_Bed_Rail_Covers.jpg.1caf0d739c12a74399f9dfde712c175a.jpg

I received Ron's first-run bed side-rail diamond-plate protectors Monday, and installed them yesterday in the fog before the rains started again.

I think they look good, and they certainly have already served their purpose after one of my girls and her band-mates threw their equipment in the back for transport to one of their gigs last night.

Thanks for the great work and quick shipping Ron!

Looking good! Aren't you glad you had them?

Corvair? What's the diff between the H and the HV? Was the HV used in the 4-carb arrangement?

HV is the designation for one with a choke pull off, V = vacuum. Rochester designates a basic design, such as B, H 2G, 4G, 4M etc where any number in front is the number of barrels, with one being understood. H is the Corvair carburetor, H being the basic or a manual choke. 1960 and 1961 carbs were H, 1960 had the central choke and 1961 manual chokes. HV is the style used with the choke thermostat underneath on the exhaust manifold. Yes, they are from a 1965 140 HP model. All the Corvair engines except the 180 hp turbo model used 2 HV carbs, 140 HP models used 2 additional H carbs that are like the end carbs on a tri-power 348, partial, no choke or idle circuit.

HV is the designation for one with a choke pull off, V = vacuum. Rochester designates a basic design, such as B, H 2G, 4G, 4M etc where any number in front is the number of barrels, with one being understood. H is the Corvair carburetor, H being the basic or a manual choke. 1960 and 1961 carbs were H, 1960 had the central choke and 1961 manual chokes. HV is the style used with the choke thermostat underneath on the exhaust manifold. Yes, they are from a 1965 140 HP model. All the Corvair engines except the 180 hp turbo model used 2 HV carbs, 140 HP models used 2 additional H carbs that are like the end carbs on a tri-power 348, partial, no choke or idle circuit.

Well, not a bullnose, but I spent my day resurrecting this 89 F150. Sat for more years than I know!

12184146_10205181676528398_553586846341266445_o.jpg.d107a0b055f7239eacf7246624094189.jpg