Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There's hardly any snow on the ground and it is strangely warm this week.

I just hate being stuck.

I need the two things I don't have. Time and Money.

Not to my truck, but to my wife's "truck" (that's what it comes up under) the 2011 Flex Limited. Yesterday when she got her hair done, and went to leave she said it sounded like someone had slipped a "fart can" on it. I listened and it definitely had an exhaust leak. I pulled it in the garage and jacked it up and found this:

DSCN2603.thumb.jpg.64f8bc85728dd83965bee466fe2e7c8f.jpg

DSCN2605.thumb.jpg.0a0cac0cec188283cfdc1d37d2ea4af8.jpg

DSCN2606.thumb.jpg.945b71ef52794fa0fbdff1cd6d8de98b.jpg

Not to my truck, but to my wife's "truck" (that's what it comes up under) the 2011 Flex Limited. Yesterday when she got her hair done, and went to leave she said it sounded like someone had slipped a "fart can" on it. I listened and it definitely had an exhaust leak. I pulled it in the garage and jacked it up and found this:

Today, as the temperature steadily dropped (started out about 57° and is currently 36°) I was able to get it apart, second bolt snapped despite PB Blaster and lots of heat. and got it fixed. Here is the broken piece, picture isn't too good and the remaining piece in the front flange on the resonator.

It's fixed now, only gasket I could find last night is a hair small, but it seals.

Here is a better picture with both bolts. The left one is the one that broke on her, right one is the one that broke trying to loosen the nut. These are headless bolts with just a thin head like the flange on a flange head bolt or flange nut. They are put through the exhaust flange and welded to it.

DSCN2607.thumb.jpg.770f82ce40c746ed831f0878ecc98225.jpg

Here is a better picture with both bolts. The left one is the one that broke on her, right one is the one that broke trying to loosen the nut. These are headless bolts with just a thin head like the flange on a flange head bolt or flange nut. They are put through the exhaust flange and welded to it.

Looks like a poorly-engineered plan there, Bill. But I'm lost - if they were welded on how did you get them off?

Looks like a poorly-engineered plan there, Bill. But I'm lost - if they were welded on how did you get them off?

I drilled through and used bolts and nuts to reassemble it. Ford uses a lot of these on newer vehicles, they used to use bolts and nut plates (nut in a tabbed plate so it won't turn) these need only a nut put on them, and it's not the first set I've had a run in with (great niece's 2005 Escape had four at the catalytic converter to exhaust pipe joint).

I drilled through and used bolts and nuts to reassemble it. Ford uses a lot of these on newer vehicles, they used to use bolts and nut plates (nut in a tabbed plate so it won't turn) these need only a nut put on them, and it's not the first set I've had a run in with (great niece's 2005 Escape had four at the catalytic converter to exhaust pipe joint).

Your solution makes sense. Their's doesn't. :nabble_smiley_argh:

Your solution makes sense. Their's doesn't. :nabble_smiley_argh:

It makes sense from the assembly line standpoint, one less piece per side, simpler operation, possibly done by a robot. Detroit doesn't give a crap about long term serviceability, they are interested in how fast they can build them, If I had gone to the dealer or possibly even an exhaust shop, they would have wanted to replace that next section of the exhaust.

A little anti-seize on the CRES nuts onto CRES studs would have gone a long way toward serviceability.

It makes sense from the assembly line standpoint, one less piece per side, simpler operation, possibly done by a robot. Detroit doesn't give a crap about long term serviceability, they are interested in how fast they can build them, If I had gone to the dealer or possibly even an exhaust shop, they would have wanted to replace that next section of the exhaust.

A little anti-seize on the CRES nuts onto CRES studs would have gone a long way toward serviceability.

It makes a lot of sense

The gasket can hang on the studs.

The opposite flange can hang on the studs.

One wrench tightening the nuts from one side.

Compared to trying to get the bolts in the holes.

Keeping them there while the gasket and opposite flange are lined up.

Using two wrenches to tighten both bolts (while they're flopping around, still loose)

On a moving assembly line....

That said, I have to go down to Philly and do just what Bill did for my niece.

Her Cat flange is loose and the studs are fubared.

It makes a lot of sense

The gasket can hang on the studs.

The opposite flange can hang on the studs.

One wrench tightening the nuts from one side.

Compared to trying to get the bolts in the holes.

Keeping them there while the gasket and opposite flange are lined up.

Using two wrenches to tighten both bolts (while they're flopping around, still loose)

On a moving assembly line....

That said, I have to go down to Philly and do just what Bill did for my niece.

Her Cat flange is loose and the studs are fubared.

What vehicle?