Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

Yes, installation took me about 20 minutes, and most of that was measuring the wire path and talking to my son explaining why I was doing it.

There seems to be a difference in brightness, but more concrete improvement was the recovery of 1.24 volt loss as measured at the terminal in the sockets. I feel good about taking the stress off the switch, too.

My British motorcycle enjoyed a similar set up a few years back after the switch heated & burned out on a long trip. I was always curious why engineers made that particular design.

Dyn, British and electric, not a good combination. Just remember, "Joseph Lucas, father of the intermittent wiper" or the three functions of Lucas electrics, Dim, Flicker and Off.

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lucas, Prince of darkness!

A good friend has a cartoon posted on his refrigerator, it shows a guy sitting bolt upright in a hospital bed and it reads "What do you mean, a Lucas Pacemaker?" Then do you know why the British drink warm beer? All of their refrigerators are made by Lucas.

A good friend has a cartoon posted on his refrigerator, it shows a guy sitting bolt upright in a hospital bed and it reads "What do you mean, a Lucas Pacemaker?" Then do you know why the British drink warm beer? All of their refrigerators are made by Lucas.

:nabble_anim_claps: :nabble_smiley_good:

Yesterday I replaced my parking brake cables, adjusted the brakes, swapped back on one new rear tire and chased down some squeaks (lower fender mount extruded nuts)

I also changed the dead computer in my friends E150 van and diagnosed his aftermarket remote start.

I need to figure out why the free length of the cables has my equalizer cocked way over.

And I would like to find some fresher oval plugs for the adjusters. The ones on the truck are very hard (but that may be due to it being 12°)

Yesterday I replaced my parking brake cables, adjusted the brakes, swapped back on one new rear tire and chased down some squeaks (lower fender mount extruded nuts)

I also changed the dead computer in my friends E150 van and diagnosed his aftermarket remote start.

I need to figure out why the free length of the cables has my equalizer cocked way over.

And I would like to find some fresher oval plugs for the adjusters. The ones on the truck are very hard (but that may be due to it being 12°)

Quite a day, Jim. Well done. :nabble_smiley_good:

As for what I did "for trucks", although some weren't mine:

• Got the radio info for MotorsportXLT from the 1985 and 1996 EVTM's.

• While getting the radio info I discovered that I'd been sold a knock-off version of the '96 EVTM, so I posted a review on Amazon stating that as well as wrote the shysters directly. All in the hopes that other truck owners won't have to go through the same thing. (That's "for trucks", right?)

• Checked out the valve covers on Huck and found they are heavy cast aluminum. Should clean up nicely when I change Big Blue over to EFI.

• Speaking of EFI'ing Big Blue, I also talked and texted many times with Mark/Dyn Blin, who spent many hours in a salvage pulling the EFI harness, MAF sensor and air box, OBD-II connector, etc for that effort. Thanks!!

• Did some work on the fog lamp bezel as Ron/Reamer had discovered we don't have the recess in the rear into which the rubber insert nestles. Not quite done with that, but want to get it off to Ron for Pass 2.

Well, looking back on it maybe I did get a bit more done than I thought. :nabble_smiley_beam:

Quite a day, Jim. Well done. :nabble_smiley_good:

As for what I did "for trucks", although some weren't mine:

• Got the radio info for MotorsportXLT from the 1985 and 1996 EVTM's.

• While getting the radio info I discovered that I'd been sold a knock-off version of the '96 EVTM, so I posted a review on Amazon stating that as well as wrote the shysters directly. All in the hopes that other truck owners won't have to go through the same thing. (That's "for trucks", right?)

• Checked out the valve covers on Huck and found they are heavy cast aluminum. Should clean up nicely when I change Big Blue over to EFI.

• Speaking of EFI'ing Big Blue, I also talked and texted many times with Mark/Dyn Blin, who spent many hours in a salvage pulling the EFI harness, MAF sensor and air box, OBD-II connector, etc for that effort. Thanks!!

• Did some work on the fog lamp bezel as Ron/Reamer had discovered we don't have the recess in the rear into which the rubber insert nestles. Not quite done with that, but want to get it off to Ron for Pass 2.

Well, looking back on it maybe I did get a bit more done than I thought. :nabble_smiley_beam:

My pleasure Gary. You provided a good opportunity to play hooky from painting the siding on the much bigger than anticipated chimney project. (WHYDTYCT?)

Parts are boxed and ready to go out on the mail pick up. They will be waiting for you upon your return to the 'States. I'm planning another run to pick up what I missed for Bill, but for now need pay penance for my "fun run" yesterday.

My pleasure Gary. You provided a good opportunity to play hooky from painting the siding on the much bigger than anticipated chimney project. (WHYDTYCT?)

Parts are boxed and ready to go out on the mail pick up. They will be waiting for you upon your return to the 'States. I'm planning another run to pick up what I missed for Bill, but for now need pay penance for my "fun run" yesterday.

Since the temperature here finally climbed out of the low 30s I swapped the heater core for the nearly new one from the 1995 F450. I think it took longer to "burp" that system than it did to change the core.

Since the temperature here finally climbed out of the low 30s I swapped the heater core for the nearly new one from the 1995 F450. I think it took longer to "burp" that system than it did to change the core.

Mark/Dyn - I can't thank you enough. Those parts are going to make the conversion of Big Blue to EFI much, much easier. Having the right harness to convert it to MAF & SEFI instead of either using one of the SD and bank-fire harnesses that I have will be straightforward.

Bill - What is the best approach to burping a 460? I had assumed that filling it via a heater hose would be best, but what did you find worked?

Mark/Dyn - I can't thank you enough. Those parts are going to make the conversion of Big Blue to EFI much, much easier. Having the right harness to convert it to MAF & SEFI instead of either using one of the SD and bank-fire harnesses that I have will be straightforward.

Bill - What is the best approach to burping a 460? I had assumed that filling it via a heater hose would be best, but what did you find worked?

I just run it after filling it to make up what was lost (I remove the hoses at the heater and raise them up so I only lose a little) It takes longer in cold weather because the thermostat opens then immediately recloses. When I feel it is getting close to opening I rev the engine a bit for a minute or so to move coolant through everywhere. I usually end up adding about a quart more coolant in the radiator.

Now I need to go to AutoZone with the bad one and get a replacement for the next time.