Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

And you said you had no use for the core...... :nabble_smiley_good:

At least *something* is working out.

I got to use my spare tire yesterday.

Not quite sure how to take that. Was the "something" that worked out Bill getting to use the heater core, or you having a spare when a tire went flat? Or maybe both? :nabble_anim_confused:

Anyway, that was an ugly place to change a tire. I have a small bottle jack in addition to the original screw jack, but usually don't have anything on which to place the jack. Maybe I'd better add some small pieces of ply to the tool box.

Not quite sure how to take that. Was the "something" that worked out Bill getting to use the heater core, or you having a spare when a tire went flat? Or maybe both? :nabble_anim_confused:

Anyway, that was an ugly place to change a tire. I have a small bottle jack in addition to the original screw jack, but usually don't have anything on which to place the jack. Maybe I'd better add some small pieces of ply to the tool box.

The one in Darth is an AutoZone lifetime one, having the extra just makes it faster, I can swap the extra in, then take the bad one to AutoZone the next time I go up that way (nearest store is in Onley, roughly 30 min each way).

It's a little thing in the big scheme. Between the good weather, kids home from school and a leaky chimney that turned into a much bigger project, I haven't been able to do much. However, last night I finally got the reverse lights working.

One more minor wrinkle to get here: The Motorcraft connector didn't quite fit the pins on the NAPA/Echlin reverse switch. The sockets were about 1.5mm too wide. So I went back online to NAPA to order the Echlin-branded harness but found both a Standard (Echlin) and an Airtex (Wells/NGK) match on Rock-Auto's site to get here a couple days faster. It arrived yesterday, and with 15 minutes sheathing and crimping a Weatherpack connector to the switch connector & harness, we have (back-up) light. My youngest girl says she still wants to make the back-up beep sound, though.

If the weather holds, I'll be finishing the chimney and siding work Saturday, then can take the post-Christmas week and scout some parts for Gary's build.

It's a little thing in the big scheme. Between the good weather, kids home from school and a leaky chimney that turned into a much bigger project, I haven't been able to do much. However, last night I finally got the reverse lights working.

One more minor wrinkle to get here: The Motorcraft connector didn't quite fit the pins on the NAPA/Echlin reverse switch. The sockets were about 1.5mm too wide. So I went back online to NAPA to order the Echlin-branded harness but found both a Standard (Echlin) and an Airtex (Wells/NGK) match on Rock-Auto's site to get here a couple days faster. It arrived yesterday, and with 15 minutes sheathing and crimping a Weatherpack connector to the switch connector & harness, we have (back-up) light. My youngest girl says she still wants to make the back-up beep sound, though.

If the weather holds, I'll be finishing the chimney and siding work Saturday, then can take the post-Christmas week and scout some parts for Gary's build.

Glad you got the lights working, but it worries me that you got the wrong connector initially. Perhaps we need to document what connector actually worked for you? Do you have the part number?

And, thanks in advance for the potential parts run. I just sent you an email re how to get in touch with me. :nabble_smiley_good:

Glad you got the lights working, but it worries me that you got the wrong connector initially. Perhaps we need to document what connector actually worked for you? Do you have the part number?

And, thanks in advance for the potential parts run. I just sent you an email re how to get in touch with me. :nabble_smiley_good:

Good thought Gary. I put them in the links in the posts, but here they are in in one spot & in case those ever get broken:

These 2 are personally confirmed to fit,& play nicely together in my truck with my manual NP 435 4 speed with no overdrive):

NAPA/Echlin Back Up Switch NS6579

Airtex 1P1246 Back Up Lamp Switch Connector

Something I didn't consider was trying to mate the Motorcraft connector to the original switch. I may do that out of curiosity. I can tell you the Airtex connector that fits the NAPA/Echlin switch does not mate with the "orignal" switch I pulled from the truck.

Good thought Gary. I put them in the links in the posts, but here they are in in one spot & in case those ever get broken:

These 2 are personally confirmed to fit,& play nicely together in my truck with my manual NP 435 4 speed with no overdrive):

NAPA/Echlin Back Up Switch NS6579

Airtex 1P1246 Back Up Lamp Switch Connector

Something I didn't consider was trying to mate the Motorcraft connector to the original switch. I may do that out of curiosity. I can tell you the Airtex connector that fits the NAPA/Echlin switch does not mate with the "orignal" switch I pulled from the truck.

Thanks. Links to vendor's websites frequently get broken as they update pages, change the catalog, etc.

Gary, it could never hurt to have traction or something to spread the load.

I used a 4x4 piece of plywood to jack the truck on and a 4' 2x10 to drive the truck up on in order to make enough room for the jack.

I also used a shovel to make some extra room for the full spare tire.

Not sure what you would expect on the north rim but support and traction are always important.

That's odd, that the Motorcraft socket didn't fit a replacement part.

I was going to ask Gary if his fog light switch had the same blade spacing as a fuse or the clutch safety switch.

Because I've used a spare fuse to get my truck started before.

Glad you are making progress with your truck.

Enjoy the holiday with your family!

That's odd, that the Motorcraft socket didn't fit a replacement part.

I was going to ask Gary if his fog light switch had the same blade spacing as a fuse or the clutch safety switch.

Because I've used a spare fuse to get my truck started before.

Glad you are making progress with your truck.

Enjoy the holiday with your family!

Jim - I don't have a fog light switch yet. The original switches are no longer available, so we are looking for a replacement. And it is looking to me like I'll use a tank switch suitably modified to mount with screws from the front. But, it takes an odd connector, which I need to liberate from Huck.

As for spreading the load while jacking, I'm going to have to think about that......

Another day of good weather on almost the shortest day and a couple hours of power outtage let me play work hooky & gave me an opportunity to pull the instrument cluster and change the dash lights.

I ended up with an extra amber (no "emissions" dash light where I thought it would be on the upper left). If anyone can use it, let me know and I'll send it off.