Bullnose Forums

WHYDTYTT: What Have You Done To Your Truck Today?

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n50481/IMG_9975.jpg

By the way, has anybody had one of these joints apart before?

I'm thinking that a rubber boot from a shock or a steering rack might be able to be used as a replacement, but wasn't sure if that joint can even be disassembled. I may play with that later on and see what I can find for a replacement solution.

Nothing on the truck perse, but my dealer installed cruise control and clutch switch arrived today. It will be a bit before it is installed, but I plan to document everything including the contents of the box and scanning in all the paperwork so Gary can find a place for it here on the site. Really was kinda of cool opening the box. Like a treasure chest of automotive history. Even has the original packing list from September of 1985. I was 2 years old at the time.....lol

IMG_20200213_181159.thumb.jpg.fb5fa9875eb8c7cdc4e90dd896ac3ab2.jpg

Nothing on the truck perse, but my dealer installed cruise control and clutch switch arrived today. It will be a bit before it is installed, but I plan to document everything including the contents of the box and scanning in all the paperwork so Gary can find a place for it here on the site. Really was kinda of cool opening the box. Like a treasure chest of automotive history. Even has the original packing list from September of 1985. I was 2 years old at the time.....lol

That's neat, and I'll be thrilled to put it on the site. We have a page in Electrical called Speed Control and it would probably be best there. But, as it is an accessory we could have a page in Accessories for it.

That's neat, and I'll be thrilled to put it on the site. We have a page in Electrical called Speed Control and it would probably be best there. But, as it is an accessory we could have a page in Accessories for it.

I finally got around to finishing this little project last night. This shifter has been tack welded together and was laying on my work bench for probably a year or more. With my 5spd swap I used the shifter from the donor truck (1991), and it always looked kind of out of place to me in my 1984. It wasn't a big deal, just one of those minor pet peeves. Anyway, using an NP435 shifter from an '86 Bullnose, I shortened it, and then grafted it on to a 5spd stick bottom to that I could install it on my 5spd. It took a little measuring, but I wanted the shifter knob to end up in the exact same location as where it was with the stock '91 5spd stick. So I finally finished welding it last weekend, and had the stick blasted and powder coated in satin black this week, and then reinstalled it all last night.

IMG_9991.jpg.77fa820466e842e973d968b015af6891.jpg

IMG_9993.jpg.7e049cd5e0acebeea7d401b5182fc1a0.jpg

It's just one of those little things I've been wanting to do. Simple minds, simple pleasures.:nabble_smiley_grin:

Most people didn't even notice or pay attention to the 5spd stick, but every once in a while a Ford truck guy would comment and ask me which 5spd I had swapped in, etc...so this will now leave them guessing.

I finally got around to finishing this little project last night. This shifter has been tack welded together and was laying on my work bench for probably a year or more. With my 5spd swap I used the shifter from the donor truck (1991), and it always looked kind of out of place to me in my 1984. It wasn't a big deal, just one of those minor pet peeves. Anyway, using an NP435 shifter from an '86 Bullnose, I shortened it, and then grafted it on to a 5spd stick bottom to that I could install it on my 5spd. It took a little measuring, but I wanted the shifter knob to end up in the exact same location as where it was with the stock '91 5spd stick. So I finally finished welding it last weekend, and had the stick blasted and powder coated in satin black this week, and then reinstalled it all last night.

It's just one of those little things I've been wanting to do. Simple minds, simple pleasures.:nabble_smiley_grin:

Most people didn't even notice or pay attention to the 5spd stick, but every once in a while a Ford truck guy would comment and ask me which 5spd I had swapped in, etc...so this will now leave them guessing.

Looks good! Nice to keep gearheads guessing!

Looks good! Nice to keep gearheads guessing!

Exactly! I have to admit that I was also driven partly by nostalgia here. 25+ years ago when I had my original 1980 Bullnose Flareside, it had the NP435 trans and the curvy stick, and it also had an aluminum Hurst T-handle shifter handle (actually, I think it was a B&M, but whatever...you know what I mean). I have been wanting to recreate this ever since I bought this truck, so I will likely try a Hurst shifter on it at some point. There is a kit you can buy specifically for mounting those handles on the splined sticks, but they are out of stock at the moment.

Looks great! And now you can include that in your writeup. :nabble_smiley_good:

Gary,

I will do just that! I think it looks relatively authentic...at least to the untrained eye.

My swap...

IMG_9991.jpg.f5b6f24f0670d65ede545eefd46385bf.jpg

And factory 4X2 blue Bullnose interior with NP435 shifter...

1986_ford_f-150_std_standard_cab_lb-pic-6382427887029672960-1600x1200.jpeg.232c26d23f6c4acaec48a5eeb1270e36.jpeg

My floor hump/tunnel cover would be a little higher, but I don't think anybody would notice.

Does look good and I like the curvy sticks as well.

20151223_182955.jpg.171f622b37c81411b7cc0a3cdcb50429.jpg

My replacement NP435 is also curvy :nabble_smiley_good:

The straight sticks on the newer trucks look like they forgot to put a stick on for shifting and just added it.

Dave ----

Does look good and I like the curvy sticks as well.

My replacement NP435 is also curvy :nabble_smiley_good:

The straight sticks on the newer trucks look like they forgot to put a stick on for shifting and just added it.

Dave ----

It doesn't show up very well in this picture because the shifter boot is slid up on the stick. But that's another (small) advantage (in my mind) to an NV3550 swap. This is the stock shifter from an '06 Jeep Wrangler (edit: oops, sorry, it's an '02 Wrangler). No one will mistake the shifter knob for a '70s or '80s part, but it doesn't look as out of place as the '90s Ford shifters.

DSC_1833.jpg.3a13ab95e2dd9462670e233003034879.jpg